Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 mini poodles and one is food orientated the other isn't 馃檮 I would prefer not to have them off lead ever but hubby wants them to have freedom where appropriate. Betty is quite happy to come back especially for treats but Albie completely ignores us. He is quite obstinate and tends to do what he wants and to be honest if he isn't causing a problem I tend to let him but he is good with other commands. I suffer with anxiety when it comes to being out with them due to having my last dog attacked while on a lead. Luckily we have a large outdoor space for them to run around safely but still want them to have outdoor walks. Any tips would be very welcome in getting them to have good recall x

Registered
Try to get Albie to think of Betty as a role model by giving Betty extra praise when she does the right thing (praise doesn麓t have to be food, could be cuddles instead).

I have 3 mini poodles aged 1, 3, and 3, and the youngest thinks of her siblings as role models. Hope I could help!

Super Moderator
Can I ask what treats you've tried? Establishing a decent foundation for recall can be as simple as pairing the highest value treat you've got with your chosen word.

If you've ever used "come" for something negative (scolding him for not coming, ending the fun, etc.) pick a new word and pair it only with AWESOMENESS.

Is there something he goes wild for? What about a sound in the house that sends him racing? A crinkle of a bag, someone settling into a favourite chair, the sound of the door opening for playtime.... Let's figure out what he loves and then use that to your advantage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Can I ask what treats you've tried? Establishing a decent foundation for recall can be as simple as pairing the highest value treat you've got with your chosen word.

If you've ever used "come" for something negative (scolding him for not coming, ending the fun, etc.) pick a new word and pair it only with AWESOMENESS.

Is there something he goes wild for? What about a sound in the house that sends him racing? A crinkle of a bag, someone settling into a favourite chair, the sound of the door opening for playtime.... Let's figure out what he loves and then use that to your advantage.
Ahh I didnt think of that! Usually the word "bedtime" sends him running for the door he loves his sleep! He also loves his squeaky ball which could be worth a try 馃榿 we have tried his favourite cheesy biscuits, frankfurters, cheese, chicken . If hes not hungry he just sniffs and walks off . He eats his meals mostly but can be funny with food offered , anyone would think we are trying to poison him the way he sniffs for ages then takes it really carefully 馃檲

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Try to get Albie to think of Betty as a role model by giving Betty extra praise when she does the right thing (praise doesn麓t have to be food, could be cuddles instead).

I have 3 mini poodles aged 1, 3, and 3, and the youngest thinks of her siblings as role models. Hope I could help!
Ive just mentioned this to hubby and he thinks this might work quite well with Albie as he always has to see what shes getting cuddles for 馃榿 thank you 馃槉

Super Moderator
Ahh I didnt think of that! Usually the word "bedtime" sends him running for the door he loves his sleep!
It's amazing how well we train our poodles when we don't realize we're doing it! Lol.

What you perceive as stubbornness might actually be intelligence. Albie has figured out what pays off and what's not really worth his time. So when he discovers that whatever magic word you choose causes THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE to rain from the sky, you'd better believe he'll start listening. :)

Registered
My boy is MUCH more motivated by toys than food. His favorite squeaky pig will get absolute, undivided attention! I actually don't use it that often because he gets nearly frantic about it. A single squeeze of the pig would recall him from any distraction out there.
Does Albie have any favorite toys you could use? The one I use the most is a ball on a string, because I can keep control of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
It's amazing how well we train our poodles when we don't realize we're doing it! Lol.

What you perceive as stubbornness might actually be intelligence. Albie has figured out what pays off and what's not really worth his time. So when he discovers that whatever magic word you choose causes THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE to rain from the sky, you'd better believe he'll start listening. :)
I've been thinking about what he does that we haven't actually trained him to do and he has a few things that he just knows to do, like he will come downstairs in a morning and after toilet he goes and sits on the sofa until I say "breakfast" then strolls to his bowl 馃檲 (little lord fauntleroy!) He knows if he comes running in with something from the garden (sticks, leaves, plant tags) if he knows it's a bad item without me saying anything he rolls on his back and drops it out of the side of his mouth. Then wags his tail at me lol Betty seems to have followed suit she will sit and look at me hoping I give approval for whatever she has pinched then drops it 馃対

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
My boy is MUCH more motivated by toys than food. His favorite squeaky pig will get absolute, undivided attention! I actually don't use it that often because he gets nearly frantic about it. A single squeeze of the pig would recall him from any distraction out there.
Does Albie have any favorite toys you could use? The one I use the most is a ball on a string, because I can keep control of it.
Albie has a squeaky brussel sprout he loves, he runs round barking when it comes out lol it's his fetch toy (something else that's hit and miss with his training ) eugh lots to work on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts