Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five year old male toy poodle, Carter (not desexed). He has a brother & a sister (Maltese & a Moodle) - These 2 are as calm as anything. But seriously, my poodle is just nuts. So full of energy 24/7. Never stops running back & forth in the yard, inside the house, just goes crazy, jumps all over you, won’t stay still. He whinges when he’s not getting what he wants. He loves the car but makes noises the whole time (it’s almost like it’s out of excitement). He’s just SO happy he can’t stop... I love him to bits but he is SO much to handle. I thought it was slow with age but it’s definitely not! Any suggestions would be appreciated..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There are good videos on Youtube about training for calmness. It seems your dog needs to learn his « off » switch. It’s not hard to just, you just need to reward when your dog is calm, so he learns to settle when he’s in the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as he is quite vocal in the car, we aren’t sure whether he likes it or not! Wish I could ask him.. we try to limit car trips and we only take him to the groomers every 6-8 wks (it could be that he knows he is going to the groomers & hates it - we have been seeing the same lady for 5 years now & she says he is pretty good whilst there so not sure!

All in all, he is a very good boy, just so active and hyper.

We go on walks in the afternoons after work
They sleep inside at night time
We get them fresh treats from the markets every Sunday to keep him occupied
He LOVES the ball - we often play with him

My husband thinks he is heavily attached to me & always wants to be by my side.. and thinks I may not be sturn enough with him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are good videos on Youtube about training for calmness. It seems your dog needs to learn his « off » switch. It’s not hard to just, you just need to reward when your dog is calm, so he learns to settle when he’s in the house.

Thank you! I will have a watch & give this a try!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts