Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have joined from the Uk looking for help, my 2 year old toy poodle had no skin issues at all until i changed her food from Royal Canin adult food and cooked chicken to Royal Canin Poodle food and cooked chicken, the new food set off an allergic reaction, she was constantly scratching, chewing her paws and scooting, her anal glands were needing to be emptied every few weeks, switched her to Royal Canin sensitive control only and she seemed better then tried her with Butternut box food (fresh chef cooked meat and veg without any soya, wheat etc) allergic reaction started again, we have stopped that food and now she is only eating a Royal Canin sensitivity control food, for the last week or so she has started scratching all the time and chewing all of her paws and legs, she even did some scooting today, I’m not sure what to do, she doesn’t have chicken now as it makes her incontinent (strange I know) I am going to keep her on the sensitivity control dry food only (I tried different things and she likes to eat with the family) I am being strict and giving her nothing else but she is still scratching and biting her paws, there is no obvious dry skin or sores and she doesn’t have dandruff or fleas, it Would be hard to rub anything into her skin because of her curls, I can’t add any supplement to her food as she’s on dry only, sorry for the essay but I am at my wits end, any advice is much appreciated x

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
I would go back to the first food combination that you were doing that caused no issue.
My Pia has food intolerances and so far can only eat one type of kibble with out causing her gastric distress, chicken, beef and lamb cause vomiting and diarrhea.

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
I will add that you will have to wait for your pup's system to stabilize, it took Pia almost a week to get back to nor

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I agree with Twyla, go back to the original food and keep her on it until she’s stabile.

And it’s not strange that food allergies cause incontinence, the food was not only causing itching, but irritating her bladder and urethra and probably other organs in her body. Clearly something is irritating and/or causing allergies.

My dog has several food allergies and intolerances. I looked over all the ingredients of the food that caused her problems looking for the sources so I could avoid them in the future. You should do the same. What is different between the food she does well on the ones making her ill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts