Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog has been pretty obsessive about stealing food, counter surfing, trash digging etc. We have been training him and he has improved so much!

The caveat is that now, he is uninterested in his dog kibble. He has gone an entire day without eating. So, I got into this habit of putting an egg into his kibble every morning. I cook an over-easy egg then mix it up into his kibble.

For dinner, I boil chicken (once a week, then chop it up really small) and I mix that into his kibble.

I don't know if I should be doing this. Is one egg and plain chicken okay to give daily with kibble? Is it healthy?

I've thought about making my own dog food, but when I looked into the requirements, it seemed overwhelming to me. I've also considered then refrigerated dog food I see when I go to Costco or Target but I have not yet really looked into it. I am running low on my kibble and wondering if I should switch it up, if what I am doing is okay, or any other advice please!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
I don’t like mixing toppers into kibble because it encourages some dogs to eat more than they would otherwise. And if it doesn’t work, the food has to be quickly tossed because it’s been contaminated.

Chicken and eggs are good treats, but we use Weruva Paw Lickin’ canned chicken at meal times because it’s a complete food. Peggy then free feeds on kibble throughout the day, and is hand-fed another type of kibble for training and rewards. She seems to thrive on the variety.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t like mixing toppers into kibble because it encourages some dogs to eat more than they would otherwise. And if it doesn’t work, the food has to be quickly tossed because it’s been contaminated.

Chicken and eggs are good treats, but we use Weruva Paw Lickin’ canned chicken at meal times because it’s a complete food. Peggy then free feeds on kibble throughout the day, and is hand-fed another type of kibble for training and rewards. She seems to thrive on the variety.
I never thought about hand feeding an alternative type of kibble for treats. Love that! With the Werva Paw Lickin' do you mix that with kibble or just that alone?

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
I never thought about hand feeding an alternative type of kibble for treats. Love that! With the Werva Paw Lickin' do you mix that with kibble or just that alone?
I feed it on a separate plate so it doesn’t contaminate the kibble. She gets a spoonful for breakfast and dinner, so I’m confident there’s something in her belly.

If she finishes her kibble at any point, we top it up. Any uneaten kibble is tossed at the end of the day.

Her “meal kibble” is Farmina. Her “treat kibble” is Honest Kitchen. Their Whole Food Clusters make really excellent treats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed it on a separate plate so it doesn’t contaminate the kibble. She gets a spoonful for breakfast and dinner, so I’m confident there’s something in her belly.

If she finishes her kibble at any point, we top it up. Any uneaten kibble is tossed at the end of the day.

Her “meal kibble” is Farmina. Her “treat kibble” is Honest Kitchen. Their Whole Food Clusters make really excellent treats.
This is such great information. Thank you! I am currently using a food from Kirkland (Costco) all stages food. This is what his breeder had him on and I wanted to keep things the same but now that he won't eat much of it, I know I need to change it up. I didn't know that left over kibble could be contaminated 😨

I am a first time pet owner, never had a dog in my life. All of this is new to me and I am still learning...but I want the very best for my Canyon. I love him! :love:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is such great information. Thank you! I am currently using a food from Kirkland (Costco) all stages food. This is what his breeder had him on and I wanted to keep things the same but now that he won't eat much of it, I know I need to change it up. I didn't know that left over kibble could be contaminated 😨

I am a first time pet owner, never had a dog in my life. All of this is new to me and I am still learning...but I want the very best for my Canyon. I love him! :love:
Do you get Farmina from their website or from Chewy?

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts

Kibble, once opened, should be used fairly quickly. Some say 6 weeks. Some much less. That’s because of oxidation and is why I tend to trust my dogs when they turn up their nose at a food they previously enjoyed.

But kibble that’s been mixed with something like chicken or egg, and then left at room temperature, is going to become a bacteria farm. I wouldn’t leave it out for long, and I wouldn’t try to reuse it. Kind of like how you wouldn’t eat a rotisserie chicken if it was on the shelf at the grocery store rather than under a heat lamp or in the fridge.

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
Do you get Farmina from their website or from Chewy?
We generally get it from a local independent pet food store. They’re so knowledgeable and helpful. We try to support them as best we can.

But I’ve gotten it from Chewy in the past.

Peggy ate their large breed puppy formula until she was at least a year old. Now she’s eating the adult version: Ancestral Grains Chicken & Pomegranate. I let her choose the flavor from some samples. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I feed the dogs raw, bone in. They eat it all up, no problems.

The cat gets kibble plus either some canned cat food or raw chicken with the bone in. I do this because cats are real finicky and I want her to recognize canned, kibble, and raw as food. However, I do not cut up the meat for her. She will eat the skin, then the muscle, then about half or more of the bone and rarely the whole thing in one sitting. I do not mix the kibble with the raw or canned.

I give little enough canned that she will eat it all, whine for more, then eat the kibble. The raw is put on a separate plate and left until she walks away from it, then I put it in the refrigerator. She's now big enough to finish a whole chicken thigh or drumstick within the day, but I never leave it out to become a bacteria farm.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I wouldn't mix the two.

Every day of Basil's life she's had 1 chicken thigh or 2 chicken legs (meat only) everyday for breakfast cooked by instant pot. Then, she gets a special lunch at Grandma/Grandpas M-F. She's free-fed kibble during the day and night, the kibble fills her up between meals if she's hungry.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
PTP is quite right that adding toppers to dry kibble, unless the topper is also dry, is no different than leaving food out for longer than a short time before refrigerating or tossing. They'll be subject to the same bacterial growth which can cause serious problems for humans.

Unlike PTP, I do top my boys dry kibble with a small portion of whatever protein we had for dinner along with a bit of veggie and then add enough warm filtered water to gravy it up a bit. We've done this with our girls before also. Our vet was consulted and said that a small amount was going to be fine.

Remo is my unpredictable eater but still generally loves his current kibble. If he doesn't eat it tho, part or all, within 30m or so, I will pitch it since it has been mixed with the topper.

The kibble is measured and is less than the guidelines suggest since that amount is based on feeding only that kibble daily. I don't calculate topper portions by weight or calories, nor do I do that with treats but neither amount to much. I do monitor their weight and add if they're down, and reduce if they're up.

He has gone an entire day without eating.
This kind of heads into the tough love category. You'll see it repeated in a number of picky/fussy eater threads, "a healthy dog will not starve themselves", the key being healthy. If you could have waited him out (not easy), he would have eaten the plain kibble eventually.

I don't see why dogs should have to eat the same thing every day, tho, so we mix things up by adding those small amounts of different foods and flavors daily.

If you decide to transition him to a different food, just be sure to follow a slow transition plan, over 7-10 days and keep in mind that he may not like that one any better.

Some dogs benefit from rotational feeding but it works better for dogs who don't have existing digestive issues. OTOH, there's some reason to think that changing proteins up periodically may reduce occurrence of other food issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I went and bought the suggested kibble Farmina and Canyon seems to be loving it!!! I don't need to top it or anything. I am mixing it with the previous kibble from Kirkland but using less and less everyday. I didn't buy the Werva because it was just too expensive. However, I don't mind doing the 1 chicken thigh or 2 chicken legs suggested by Basil_the_Spoo.... I just need to know more information. Is this boiled, cooled then stored in the refrigerator? Do you give it cold? Do you give it for breakfast? Lastly, does chicken daily get boring for a dog and should I switch it up and do other proteins? Just thoughts running through my head.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't mix the two.

Every day of Basil's life she's had 1 chicken thigh or 2 chicken legs (meat only) everyday for breakfast cooked by instant pot. Then, she gets a special lunch at Grandma/Grandpas M-F. She's free-fed kibble during the day and night, the kibble fills her up between meals if she's hungry.
I just asked some questions below and just now realized you said "breakfast" and I was wondering if the chicken was for breakfast. Ok, got it. Do you cook it in advance and give it to Basil cold or cook it daily in the instant pot? Can you give me some ideas of what a special lunch might be? Do you do breakfast, lunch and dinner or just breakfast and lunch and kibble in between?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I cook a 5-6 days worth in advance, ~12 legs. In the instant pot with water. Then, once it cools I put the whole thing in the fridge.

I microwave the leg meat for ~15 seconds after I debone it so it's Luke warm.

A special meal is something like cooked ground turkey and some bread lol. It's just a small snack more then anything:
Food Dog Vertebrate Mammal Recipe

Check what dog safe foods are. They tend to be the healthy foods we humans should be eating anyways.

I just leave kibble out for Basil all day. When you do that, it's called "free feeding". She just eats whenever she's hungry and stops when she is full.

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
Glad Canyon is loving his new food!

I agree Weruva is expensive compared to kibble. But the reason I use it rather than straight muscle meat is that it’s a complete food, like kibble. So while it’s super palatable, and Peggy laps it right up, it still ensures she’s eating a balanced daily diet.

One large can lasts us 3-4 days. For less than $4 per can, I’m okay with that.

If I were to supplement her diet with human food (beyond the occasional treat) I would probably feed a variety.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Just wanted folks to know. Asta loves hard boiled egg as a topper or for treats. He will even eat the shell. Very easy to make.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Just wanted folks to know. Asta loves hard boiled egg as a topper or for treats. He will even eat the shell. Very easy to make.
Do you just do the whole egg, shell and all, unpeeled?

Are the shells Is it scratchy on their throat? What about the shells coming out the back end?

I saw a TikTok of a doberman eating egg shells and wasn't sure. Eggs are one of my staples in this season.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad Canyon is loving his new food!

I agree Weruva is expensive compared to kibble. But the reason I use it rather than straight muscle meat is that it’s a complete food, like kibble. So while it’s super palatable, and Peggy laps it right up, it still ensures she’s eating a balanced daily diet.

One large can lasts us 3-4 days. For less than $4 per can, I’m okay with that.

If I were to supplement her diet with human food (beyond the occasional treat) I would probably feed a variety.
That makes a whole lotta sense. I didn't know one can lasted that long and that I can do!

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts