Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me train belle to stop barking.

She's got this new habit to bark at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is unfamiliar to her.

IE: Thunder, Some strange objects my dad brings in the house, people walking by.

Any tips?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ruby is starting to bark at everything as well, shadows, the door, people, things that don't really exsist etc etc....Quincy is a barker so I am sure she gets it from him (he has taught her well lol). When she starts I say "quiet" or 'enough" if that doesn't work I try a squirt of water, except she likes it and barks for more, so yeah thats not gonna work lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
this helps me

I tie my puppy up on a short lease for a few minutes (like a time-out) inside the house. Use a table leg or something handy. It works every time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Barking

I very specifically did not want a barker, so worked with my min pup from day 1. I've never taught him to bark on command (on purpose) and he never gets my attention for a game by barking.

So he has two reasons left for barking ... the 'help, my ball is stuck under the sofa' bark and the 'there is a stranger walking down the street, look, I can see, right here, out the window' bark.

For the first, I make him sit and be quiet, treat, then get his ball for him.

For the second, I make a point of going to look at what he's barking at, i.e. acknowledging that he's trying to alert me to something, then I tell him 'it's ok' and ask him to come away from the window. If he THEN won't stop, he gets a timeout (1 minute) in the kitchen on his own, which he hates. If he comes away from the window on the first go, he gets a quick tug game.

Works pretty well for us.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When he alerts me that someone or something is outside, I tell him 'good boy' and then I start telling him 'enough' or 'that'll do' or sometimes if he won't stop, I just my 'ehh!' sound that I use to correct him in other situations. It works very well.

Saying 'that'll do' always makes me think of the farmer in Babe--'that'll do, pig'. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts