Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me train belle to stop barking.

She's got this new habit to bark at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is unfamiliar to her.

IE: Thunder, Some strange objects my dad brings in the house, people walking by.

Any tips?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ruby is starting to bark at everything as well, shadows, the door, people, things that don't really exsist etc etc....Quincy is a barker so I am sure she gets it from him (he has taught her well lol). When she starts I say "quiet" or 'enough" if that doesn't work I try a squirt of water, except she likes it and barks for more, so yeah thats not gonna work lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend on MSN told me to distract her with squeak toys. Another told me to get her to focus on me and repeat "No Bark"

hope this helps those that also have problems with it :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
this helps me

I tie my puppy up on a short lease for a few minutes (like a time-out) inside the house. Use a table leg or something handy. It works every time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Barking

I very specifically did not want a barker, so worked with my min pup from day 1. I've never taught him to bark on command (on purpose) and he never gets my attention for a game by barking.

So he has two reasons left for barking ... the 'help, my ball is stuck under the sofa' bark and the 'there is a stranger walking down the street, look, I can see, right here, out the window' bark.

For the first, I make him sit and be quiet, treat, then get his ball for him.

For the second, I make a point of going to look at what he's barking at, i.e. acknowledging that he's trying to alert me to something, then I tell him 'it's ok' and ask him to come away from the window. If he THEN won't stop, he gets a timeout (1 minute) in the kitchen on his own, which he hates. If he comes away from the window on the first go, he gets a quick tug game.

Works pretty well for us.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When he alerts me that someone or something is outside, I tell him 'good boy' and then I start telling him 'enough' or 'that'll do' or sometimes if he won't stop, I just my 'ehh!' sound that I use to correct him in other situations. It works very well.

Saying 'that'll do' always makes me think of the farmer in Babe--'that'll do, pig'. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts