Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my poor boy has the runs.

His latest food transition didn't go so well. Making long story short. I had to bathe his bottom area last night and this am. He SMELLS cause the loose stool is sticking to his but fur. The house STINKS in his inside crate area. No mater how much i try and wipe it off - he still smells. I then have to soap up his bottom again and bathe him

Question is.. is there any eaiser way to deal with this temp loose stool on fur situation/ tips to clean up w/o giving him a full bath? I going crazy having to half bathe him/blow dry him everyday for the last two days. I washed him this am . I just let him out to eat and here we go again :doh: pooh on fur

help me please...:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added to say..he is hasn't had a sanitary cut in quite some time (behind is very fluffy and full of hair.) He's going for his big boy cut real soon. So i figured i would wait :doh: prior to this food reaction

geez

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh, I totally can relate to the constant bathing and blow drying! It never fails, about once a week Jager will pee in his outside pen, then somehow roll in it! I have been bathing him once a week... it's such a pain! (Thank goodness the doggie door is going in next weekend so he can go in the yard to pee.)

A sanitary should help. If it's really runny, though, it will probably still get on him to some extent. How did you go about switching his food?

Have you tried adding some canned pumpkin to his meals? It can firm up his stool a little.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
A sanitary will REALLY help, I've always kept Vegas' bum very tightly trimmed with the rest of him long (kinda a mane look) and he doesn't have much of a problem at all. I do his sanitary weekly, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies. Hubby will help me re-bath winston again. Winston will be going for his big boy cut next week or sooner. I'm sooo excited

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh boy, been there! lol Once the poo is removed, use a wash cloth with warm water, and for a final, pour Witch Hazel on the cloth - it cuts through/cleans/removes any residue, and won't irritate sensitive skin.

·
Registered
575 Posts
get a waterless shampoo that you don't have to rinse out. This way, you only have to clean his BUM and not wet all down his legs and such.

Also, for the odor problem, buy some peppermint essential oils and mix 5 - 10 drops in a gallon of water and wipe down his kennel area and his booty :) This WILL eliminate the odor immediately. Also good for use in a spray bottle for treating the air, carpet, or furniture. Much better than Fabreeze!

As for the diarrhea, you can use 1/4 teas. per 10lbs of Slippery Elm bark (found in health food stores), used 3 times a day. Mix with a small amount of yogurt and with hold all other food for 24 hours. THIS is a miracle cure for diarrhea. The pumpkin works good too, but when the tummy needs a rest, it can delay clearing up the upset.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Adding a bit of pumpkin to his food can help firm up stool. I would take scissors and trim the longer fur (that it's getting stuck in).

For smell, I'd get a water bottle and use half water, half vinegar and spray around house/kennel. The vinegar will neutralize the smell. I spray my room (where dogs are crated) every day with it and my room never smells. I also use it to clean crates with as well.

Though it's a bonus that my room smells like salt n vinegar chips everyday! <3 <3<3

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You can try things like pumpkin and yogurt -they do help bellys and runny poos - so does a bland diet, chicken, rice etc. BUT if it is an ongoing problem - finding the right combos of food is key. You never want to mask a problem either.

Suri has belly problems (runs) about every other week. I am now doing raw food. It was a much easier switch than I thought and her stools are so much firmer and less! Now I am not sure 100% if I will do JUST RAW but I have seen great changes and when all else failed in regards to Suri, this worked. Not all Vets are fans of it, which is another topic but it has great results.

Until the runs get managable, I would do a shorter trim around that area:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts