Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just moved, she was in quarantine at my sis in laws for 6 weeks. Now she is home and has started peeing everywhere, even in her crate. We crated her to go to the store we were only gone about 1 1/2 hrs and she peed in her crate, she was let out for about 30 min before we left, so I know it is not cause she could not hold it. She has started going in the house while we are gone, even though she did not do that before. My sis in law took her EVERYWHERE with her while she was there. Are we dealing with MAJOR separation anxiety???

How do we break her of it, she cries and has actually freaked out and busted out of her crate one time, but we are not sure what else to do...any ideas????:scared:

·
Registered
319 Posts
It may well be separation anxiety, but I would also check to make sure there isn't a UTI or bladder infection, or other health issue going on.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may well be separation anxiety, but I would also check to make sure there isn't a UTI or bladder infection, or other health issue going on.
I had thought of that, she was just at the vet on the 15th...Separation anxiety will be easy to deal with, I just need to make sure that is gets nipped in the bud..I have not dealt with it before, so I am hoping for ideas on how to get her to accept that she is here and will not be left in Cali again....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had thought of that, she was just at the vet on the 15th...Separation anxiety will be easy to deal with, I just need to make sure that is gets nipped in the bud..I have not dealt with it before, so I am hoping for ideas on how to get her to accept that she is here and will not be left in Cali again....
She was at the vet's yesterday? Once, when I was on vacation, someone was watching my German Shepherd. She peed all over the place when I was gone, and I was shocked. I thought the person watching her was not very responsible. It kept up, and I found out she had kidney problems. She had to be on a low protein prescription diet. Why do these things always happen when we are away from our pets? I wonder if the anxiety brings it out....

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was at the vet's yesterday? Once, when I was on vacation, someone was watching my German Shepherd. She peed all over the place when I was gone, and I was shocked. I thought the person watching her was not very responsible. It kept up, and I found out she had kidney problems. She had to be on a low protein prescription diet. Why do these things always happen when we are away from our pets? I wonder if the anxiety brings it out....
No, sorry she was at the vet on the 8th my mistake, I was looking at the wrong date on the calender. My thought was to have her go into her crate while were are here, so make her have that cave sense of security again, she had it once in her crate. But, we stopped crating her over a year ago, now we have to start again. Maybe that has something to do with it...

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would check her for a uti as well, Tynk just isnt one of THOSE dogs you know? and if the urine test comes back negative, THEN I would worry about seperation anxiety. Do you still have an Ex pen you can put her in when you leave?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you the first tenants in the house? If not, she may be also smelling another dog's smell in the flooring. I know the first day we were in our house, Midge decided to poo in the boys' bedroom because there had been another dog in there before us.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will set up another vet appt for her just in case, the X-Pin was my next choice I will try that tomorrow on the linoleum in the dinning room. I actaully HOPE it's a UTI.....hopefully meds will make it better.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Is she spayed? Mild cystitis is often an early sign of coming into season.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would put doggie diapers on her. Just like most toddlers, they HATE that wet feeling. She'll learn. Its better than putting her in a front doggie backpack...those things that carry small dogs on your chest. you COULD carry her around everywhere!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has an appt for tomorrow at 6 to have a UTI test done, we went out today for a couple hrs and I put her in the ex pen while we were out...NO accidents! You think she could be tramatized from the plane flight in her crate??

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
She has an appt for tomorrow at 6 to have a UTI test done, we went out today for a couple hrs and I put her in the ex pen while we were out...NO accidents! You think she could be traumatized from the plane flight in her crate??
A friend of mine has a Nordic Spitz pup who was flown in from Oregon to New Jersey and that poor pup had MAJOR crate trauma. She wouldn't go near it for weeks but they've been enticing her with treats, patience and love. I suppose it's possible the crate's become an issue in your case, too. But I'm guessing a bladder infection or the scent of another animal previously in the home or stress is more likely. I'm sorry your dear poo is having adjustment issues, right on the heels of you being happily reunited. I'm hoping to hear everything is resolved, and soon! I wanted you to be showered with poodle love, not, uh, pee!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tynk and I just got home from our vet visit, she had to have an Ultrasound Guided needle poked THROUGH her tummy into her bladder! Because she is so tiny they did not use a Cath on her because they thought she may not have anything in her bladder at the time, so they just took it with the needle while they were doing the Ultrasound. OMG! They said she did well and we will know the results in about 3 days then they will talk with me about treatment for a UTI or her behavior if it turns out to be anxiety and not a UTI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts