Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss Ruby Roo is digging in her water dish, water is getting everywhere, she is soaked by the time she is done, it's just a mess.

When she first started it I thought she was after the pic of a dog on the bottom of the bowl, so I went and bought a pictureless bowl, but she still does it. I tried only putting a little water in the bowl at a time, but she still digs it all out. I run a daycare from my home so this is a safety issue as well as a "pain in the rear" issue.

So soon as she starts I take the bowl away, but I can't always see her start. picking up the water 6-6 is a poor option, I don't like them being without fresh clean water all the time. I would really prefer it if she would just stop lol. truthfully when I take it away, I get sidetracked by someone and forget to give it back until i see it on teh counter an hr later.

A) WHY does she do this?

B) How do I make it stop?

I am thinking keeping her out of teh kiddy pool this summer is gonna be a little tough lol, but it'll be fun LMAO.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Poodles love water, its hard to stop it unless you reprimand her everytime she does it.

I would buy a water bowl with hooks so you can have it high up hooked on a pen or something. Or you could get what show homes use for shih tzus. This is like a guinea pig drinker, only its made for dogs. They just lick the end and no mess at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poodles love water, its hard to stop it unless you reprimand her everytime she does it.

I would buy a water bowl with hooks so you can have it high up hooked on a pen or something. Or you could get what show homes use for shih tzus. This is like a guinea pig drinker, only its made for dogs. They just lick the end and no mess at all.
I thought about a bottle, but Quincy my chinese crested, would NEVER drink from a bottle, he is almost 5, spoiled and very set in his ways.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I thought about a bottle, but Quincy my chinese crested, would NEVER drink from a bottle, he is almost 5, spoiled and very set in his ways.
You will find if they are thirsty enough they will drink. Give it time, I trained a couple of my older poodles to do it, they werent impressed but they are over it now :D Just dont give it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tried giving them ice? Morgan will drink & drink till she gets sick & the only way I could fix her little tush was to give her ice cubes. Now she's nuts for her "icees". LOL

·
Registered
912 Posts
T does it too, digs and splashes around. Thankfully he seems to restrict it to outside and while it makes a mess of the dog at least I don't have to clean up the water constantly. Like the idea of a guinea pig waterer though Siv that sounds like it would work a treat and if T was doing it inside I would definately try it cause the more mess he makes the more he likes it :smile:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried giving them ice? Morgan will drink & drink till she gets sick & the only way I could fix her little tush was to give her ice cubes. Now she's nuts for her "icees". LOL
I think that was my mistake, We had a really warm day about 3 weeks ago and silly me put ice cubes in her water, which she dig out ...lol...and she still digs lol.

·
Registered
741 Posts
todd does this but there dont even need to be water there and he will do it to hid food bowl as well the other day he got in my rotties food bowl was so funny

my rottie was looking at him like thats it now im gunna eat u

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a thought, have you tried elevating her water? That way she will not have as much temptation to dig in the dish nor the leverage?
that is a great idea. I will look around at various sites, ebay etc etc and see if I can't find one of those thingys!

We tried a bottle yesterday, but neither of them would have anything to do with it, I gave up when both were drinking from rain puddles (yuck)

Spoo she will dig in the garden as well, mostly after rain, she likes the worms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts