Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my little pup is a bit of a superstar. I actually thought she was toilet trained after Two weeks with hardly any accidents. Today we had 3 because the weather is hideous there’s a big storm and she just doesn’t want to go out so runs back inside and pees on the carpet. Anyone else had this issue and no what works.

I don’t want her to be scared of going outside so have made a little plastic shelter to protect her from the rain and wind but she’s still really resistant. Whereas before she’d sit by the door run out do her business run back in get a treat.

Now she stills sits by the door but doesn’t do her business when I let her out then will pee when back inside. She is still pooping outside which I suppose is a plus.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
292 Posts
Do you have a porch or balcony? When I had my pup during a tropical storm, I set up a patch of grass for him on my (covered) porch. It happened the day after I got him so it was hard to try an make a 9 week old pup potty in 2 inches of rain. If you are up north, could it be the cold the pup doesn't like? Maybe a sweater/jacket could help?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Do you go outside with your puppy on a leash or are you standing in a doorway watching? I helps to be outside with your pup on a leash.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Lily never liked going out for potty breaks in bad weather and since she would sneak a pee in the house if the weather was bad I took her out on leash so I could make sure she relieved herself. It gave me a good opportunity to work on having her potty on command.

Also be aware that very young puppies will understand not going in the house a lot sooner than they can hold their bladders and bowels against pressure to void. Resisting pressure to go is just not something most puppies can do before they are 6 months old.

It is also really important to not get mad and to be patient about this.

Reactions: CieCie and Skylar

·
Registered
36 Posts
I try to remember the phrase “dogs grow INTO things, they don’t grow out of them.” Meaning you have to push them gently to get used to the rain etc. rain is a part of life and you want a dog that isn’t fussy about it for the rest of its life. I don’t personally believe in turning your life upside down with shelters and special treatment etc. you will need to don a raincoat and boots and leash and show this pup we go outside rain or shine and it’s no big deal. It sucks but it’s important. For some reason I was dumb enough to get both my puppies in the fall when it rains the most where I live. Haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And actually, to that end, whenever one of my puppies showed a sensitivity for something, I took that as an invitation to really get used to it. So now you know this pup is sensitive to rain, the worst thing you could do is keep it out of rain. Do the opposite and take as many opportunities to be out in the rain as you can. Have play sessions in the rain with toys and lots of fun. That’s what I would do.

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
I've just taken my two small adults out on leads to be sure they actually do something - it is pretty wild and wet out there, I agree! A harness and lead may help to make her feel more secure, or a pee pad just outside the door in the shelter of the house might be a good compromise.

Reactions: Poppy the Puppy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lit
I've just taken my two small adults out on leads to be sure they actually do something - it is pretty wild and wet out there, I agree! A harness and lead may help to make her feel more secure, or a pee pad just outside the door in the shelter of the house might be a good compromise.
Just took down the shelter (as it’s only 30cm high) and did the same took her out with harness and chicken 😂 she eventually went but my goodness it’s horrid out there. Tiles are falling off the roof here 🙈 thanks for your tip

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
If this storm is out of the ordinary, I wouldn’t worry too much if there are a few accidents. You don’t want to risk your safety or your puppy’s. It’s up to us to show them that scary things are safe....but only if they’re actually safe.

Maybe you could use a different door until the storm passes, if there’s a side of your home that’s more sheltered from the wind?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s true I’m not sure how safe it is. I’m in a little rental atm so unfortunately only one door. But definitely seems to help a little with her harness. Just wish we had a side shelter as it’s very exposed out there

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
We have an Emergency Mat in the bathroom. Poppy sometimes needs it because of steroid-induced urgency; Sophy really dislikes rain. For years I was resolute about outside only toileting, but I am really coming round to the idea that an indoor alternative can be a godsend with small dogs, especially at 3am on a stormy morning!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have an Emergency Mat in the bathroom. Poppy sometimes needs it because of steroid-induced urgency; Sophy really dislikes rain. For years I was resolute about outside only toileting, but I am really coming round to the idea that an indoor alternative can be a godsend with small dogs, especially at 3am on a stormy morning!
Soo the storm continues and I caved! After two accidents today and her crying when I took her out and both of us getting soaked, her shivering and whimpering I put a pee pad down by the door and she went straight away. I know it might be a step back but I’m hoping it’s better than her just going in the carpet 😬

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
292 Posts
She is young, mine went on a grass patch (on my porch) I bought at Home Depot for the first few days and he adjusted. She will too. It's still outside. There is bad weather but then there is horrible weather and storms. I think you'll be okay in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
I think the fact that she went as soon as you gave her a clearly designated potty spot is very good. :) Use this as an opportunity to really strengthen your potty cue. I would say “Hurry up!” while puppy Peggy peed and then immediately give her a treat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the fact that she went as soon as you gave her a clearly designated potty spot is very good. :) Use this as an opportunity to really strengthen your potty cue. I would say “Hurry up!” while puppy Peggy peed and then immediately give her a treat.
Thank you. I say go on and click my fingers which usually works. But this storm has really thrown her off. Even last night she normally settles and sleeps just kept crying as the wind is so loud.

she also had her vaccinations today which made her so lathargic and so it feels cruel to drive her out while she’s feeling delicate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts