Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Minature Poodle 2/34 yr old purchased 2 1/2 month ago from an area where Heartgard is NOT necessary. We are in Nebraska with tons of mosquitoes... gave a full pill the past two months...and now due for another.

Had his blood tested and the ALT (Liver) tested 156 and three weeks later tested 147 (the recommended test should be 10-118) . Very concerned whether we are giving him too much protein or too much Heartgard, as his liver test run high.

We have used two different vets...

Have been feeding the same dry dog food 30% protein as the breeder used.

Has anyone experienced finding it necessary to cut the 0-25 lb Heartgard pill in 1/2 when this dog weighs 13 lbs. Both vets have said to give a whole pill to as recommended on the package.

Due you think that we have caused a severe liver damage from giving too much protein in his food. and /or too much Heartgard???

APPRECIATE A PROMPT ANSWER WITH YOUR IDEAS... AS ANOTHER PILL IS DUE NEXT THURSDAY AND WE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE OUR BEAUTIFUL LOVING POODLE SICK.

THANKS SO VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU.

FRANK

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would not cut the Heartguard... and would instead look at how much protein he's getting. Too high protein diet could cause health issues in dogs.
A good source for information on dog food is www.dogfoodanalysis.com. They rate the dog food and give reviews... You'll see that they do actually say on some of the dog foods that they think the protein content is high.

What are you feeding your dog right now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are using Eukanuba 30/20 Adult.
What is your opinion if we have already permanent damage to his liver?
thanks for you help ... we are checking on the web site that you mentioned.
Frank

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I agree with Ponki, expecially if your poodle is not competing in trials...to high of protein is not good and the heart guard...I am giving that to my toys and have had NO problems with them, they are 5lbs and 6 lbs I do not cut it ever. If you cut it, you can not be sure how much preventative they are actually getting because it is distributed throughout the cube.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
we use interceptor and it goes by the weight of the dog. ginger and Teddy get different pills cause she weighs less.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It sounds like you should feed a kibble with less protein in it as PonkiPoodles suggested. I would talk to your vet about your concern for permanent liver damage.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
We are using Eukanuba 30/20 Adult.
What is your opinion if we have already permanent damage to his liver?
thanks for you help ... we are checking on the web site that you mentioned.
Frank
Well, I think since your dog already has permanent liver damage he would probably have to go on a prescription diet/dogfood. You would need to talk to your vet about it. Brands you can consider is:
Flint River Ranch Senior would probably be the best kibble to put him. This is one of the highest rated low protein dog foods. (see dogfoodanalysis.com)
Purina Veterinary Diet is a prescription dog food that many vets recommend.
IVD Select Care.
Hill's Prescription Diet is a low protein food.
Eukanuba Veterinary Diet
I would suggest talking to your vet and see what they recommend first and foremost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
questions to ak youself

ANy supplements?:hmmmm:
Any other meds?
How old of dog?
Giving the dog any table scraps?
What size of poodle?

I may be crazy but i always thought that protein was hard on the kidney but not the liver

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hello! This is my first post here, so i hope noone minds if i jump right in!

I would Not cut the HG pill! I would also at this point not over-react to the liver values. They are not extreamly high. It does Not mean your dog is in liver failure. Liver failure numbers would be in the thousands, and more then just the ALT would be up. I would talk to your vet and see what they recommend. Alot of times they will wait a couple months and retest. Most of the time they go down, and if not then i would look further into the problem.

I think 30% protien is a little high, and would personally switch foods to a little lower protien. I would Absolutely continue with the heartworm meds. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank

Thanks to all the replies from the Group!!! What wonderful people we have in the poodle lovers.

We had another blood test run today and it came out much better. The ALT was 122, certainly lots better than the 156 we started on. And the ALP was 19. So we are in the normal range now.

Really appreciate the warning to NOT cut the Heartgard pill in half. But are going to just giving a whole pill every 45 days, due to his weight and not able to handle so much. However the vet says to be sure to NOT FORGET AT THE 45 DAYS.

Also we have switched to a lower protein food. So in all should be okay, but will take another test in a couple months.

We feel so lucky to have all the help in your kind posts.

Your Poodle Loving Friends,
Frank & Betty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts