Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I’m here at a local shelter for national clear the shelters day. I went hoping that somehow there would be a Spoo Waiting for me.

There wasn’t. There IS what looks to be a sweet boy unaltered Miniature (or toy?) Poodle. He’s suuuupper matted, dirty, over grown and can barely see but I think I see some poodle eyes under there. (I tried to get a pic)

He has a poodle prance.
Docked tail (in the picture that’s one long matt hanging from his tail)
Let’s me touch him all over
Super affectionate.
Loves other dogs.
2 years old.
A possible neglected pet that got out.
Edit: He knows how to sit and come.

IMG_1413.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1406.jpg IMG_1412.jpg

Help! Any guesses as to if this a pure poodle or & if so what size? Maybe he’s a doodle of some sort?

I want to help him and give him a second chance But I’ll be honest I sooo don’t know what to expect with this guy and am collecting info still here at the shelter. Any words from my poodle fam would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
Aww that is a sad sight, but that is a very poodley looking dog despite the mess. I think I would be pretty inclined to take him if I were in your position. I know you want a spoo, but perhaps the right spoo will cross your path at a good time in the not too distant future as a pay it forward for your adoption of this guy. I am so psyched that my post about clear the shelters might have had a small hand in putting you together with this dog. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Good looking dog... underneath. :)

Feel for any sense of a skull ridge. A Klingon skull is typical of some Poodles. Also his belly. Do his ribs come to a 'point' rather than 'rounded' under his belly? I can't rub Tonka's belly, there's none to rub, really.

He's sure got typical weepy Poodle eyes...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Today I’m here at a local shelter for national clear the shelters day. I went hoping that somehow there would be a Spoo Waiting for me.

There wasn’t. There IS what looks to be a sweet boy unaltered Miniature (or toy?) Poodle. He’s suuuupper matted, dirty, over grown and can barely see but I think I see some poodle eyes under there. (I tried to get a pic)

He has a poodle prance.
Docked tail (in the picture that’s one long matt hanging from his tail)
Let’s me touch him all over
Super affectionate.

Loves other dogs.
2 years old.
A possible neglected pet that got out.
Edit: He knows how to sit and come.

View attachment 450671 View attachment 450673 View attachment 450675 View attachment 450677 View attachment 450679

Help! Any guesses as to if this a pure poodle or & if so what size? Maybe he’s a doodle of some sort?

I want to help him and give him a second chance But I’ll be honest I sooo don’t know what to expect with this guy and am collecting info still here at the shelter. Any words from my poodle fam would be helpful.

Sounds like he trusts you and has maybe chosen you? Any dog that looks like that has been through a lot and probably doesn't trust everyone. I truly feel when I met Miracle (my rescue dog) she chose me and she definitely trusted me, and that wasn't the case with everyone. Miracle may or may not be full poodle, but it doesn't matter...she's an amazing dog. This guy might be too, and he sounds smart!! Keep us updated! :)

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Know this, if you decide not to rescue that little mop, someone will snap him up. Young, fuzzy dogs go quickly. I have no idea what he is from the pictures, but after a spa day, he will be adorable!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Mfmst is right, young fluffy white dogs do get snatched up quickly, so this dog probably has a future even if you don’t take him.

But...the fact that you took the time to take pictures, post them here, and write about him, seems to indicate he has worked his way into your heart already!

Some poodle mixes are very poodle like. My Lily, who is ten now, is one of them. She’s the dog in my avatar. She moves like a poodle, acts like a poodle, and people refer to her as a poodle. I do think she’s mixed with some other breed though, probably spaniel, but the poodle is very prominent.

I always liked poodles, but I didn’t appreciate how unique they were until Lily came into my life. Now I know all future dogs will be poodles, which led me to Miss Gracie, my 8 month old purebred poodle pup!

I think some poodles have webbed feet. Gracie does. I don’t think it’s an absolute, but another thing to check.

Bottom line, if this dog is pulling at your heartstrings, there’s probably a reason. Sometimes the perfect dog is the one who chooses you.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Awww poor fella. How can anyone let a dog get to be so neglected. He will surely be adopted by someone, even if not you because he sounds like such a good natured dog. And he's pretty poodly looking. But it is a little hard to say when he's so matted and messy. Whatever you decide, best wishes. It's true, you might adopt him, then later get your standard if you think you'd like two dogs. Or just wait...only you can know.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sooooo.... guess what? .... I ADOPTED HIM!
I just couldn’t leave that sweet boy there looking like that in that place.

He was brought in as a stray/found pet so I have to wait for his holding period and to see if they will hold him for additional days if he has a court case because of his bad condition. I’ll bring him home In about 10 Days.

They have him listed as a Maltese but the workers and volunteers just give it their best guess. (I’d know that Poodle hair ANYWHERE!)

He JUST came in yesterday, not much is known about him and he hadn’t been tested for heart worms or evaluated yet. It was noted that one of the intake workers thought he might have cataracts but I really looked him over and he just looks to have severe tear stains and some inclines from having all that hair in his face. Vision seems to be a-ok. He still needs to be neutered but luckily I convinced them to let me either come in and groom him at the location or take him temporarily to have him groomed before his neuter surgery. Since he won’t be able to have a bath for 10 days.

I can visit him whenever I like in the meantime and may go attempt to visit & groom him tomorrow. I maaayy bring him some treats with me too. Thanks so much for everyone’s input! Now for a name!

I’ll still get my Spoo sometime soon but in the meantime this guy needs someone who’s patient and caring so I intend to be!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Awww what a great ending! Thank you for rescuing him! I would assume by looking at him that he has poodle in him. Look at those curls! Could be a maltese/poodle mix, but he looks big for that. Either way, I hope he turns out to be a great dog. You are definitely a very caring person for wanting to step in and start caring for him before he goes home. A great way to start a bond and build trust. Can't wait to hear more about his story as your new furbaby!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Congratulations. You are so lucky. Where I live any poodle rescue gets adopted immediately by the volunteers who walk the dogs. They never become available to the public.

He looks very poodly from the more almond shaped eyes to the curl in his fur. Can’t wait to see what he looks like once you have him home and he’s settled into his forever home.

Reactions: Legs&Leashes21

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
YAY!!!!! Fate, it's all fate! Your timing for finding him, and him being an adorable curly guy who needs a caring loving home....the planets were aligned for you to find each other me thinks! Hahaha! Can't wait to see if you will be able to save some of that marvelous hair! Let us know of course!

Reactions: Legs&Leashes21

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
He’s so young and there is adorable under that messy coat. Thank you for giving him a forever home. I want to hear everything going forward:). Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This is wonderful news! Whatever else he is (and he looks very poodley to me too), he is very lucky to have been found by you, and it looks like he's going to be yours!

You could do a DNA test to determine his breed(s). It wouldn't change a thing about him, but may give you an idea whether you'd want to do any further health testing. Or just love him as he is :).

I hope he's having happy dreams tonight, dreaming of being loved :rainbow:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
He looks Poodley, and if he's not purebred, could be he has some Bichon in there. Coat care I think would be very similar to what you're used to :). He has full potential for DARLING. Let's see what happens; sometimes they are truly lost and there are responsible owners out there. I suspect perhaps many times such a wonderful prospect as this is really a diamond in the rough and ready to benefit from your loving attentions :).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@countryboy
Yes! He does have a point in his rib area. I can’t wait to see what under some of that coat. I think he’ll be pretty handsome.

@lilly cd re
Yes! Thank you so much for posting about this very special adoption day!

@Dogs4life
You know what’s funny? The shelter worker even warned me beforehand that he was very shy. Shy he was not with me! Put his paws on my lap, did a few commands & was not pleased when I left to go fill out the paperwork from him.

He was sooo calm with all of the chaos of the shelter going on around him!

@mollymuamia
I think the stars aligned today! I’m looking at clips as we speak. I never thought I’d have a Mpoo and will now be scouting PF for the next hour . I will be sure to keep everyone updated!

@caroline k
You are so right. I was a goner as soon as I saw this guy. First cage I walked up to!

@rose
Awwww I hadn’t even thought of him dreaming about his new life. He sure is in for some pampering, fun & adventure!

@mfmst
I’ll be sure to keep my poodle family updated with lots of pictures and of course the before & after!

Can’t wait to see him tomorrow!

As I said bye to him before I left... IMG_1417.jpg

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yay, I am glad you are going to adopt him. Why a great shelter to allow you to come int o bathe and groom him. You may have just also found you a volunteer job here and there. LOL It would be nice if they would just allow you to keep him at home as a foster and make the adoption in the 10 days, Can't wait to hear more about him and to see his after photos.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts