Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is 14 eats anything, anytime or place. Always feed her out of a bowl with a mat under it (all of them feed that way to save scrubbing the floor daily) never a problem. Always ha a collar with a name tag on it. About 6 or 7 days ago the Bella was eating and jumped back. since then she will not eat out of a bowl, plate mat no mat or off plain floor (dumped her bowl on the floor). She will pick up off the floor what the other dogs drop (not much). Took her to the vet 2 teeth left no problem there. So this morning I had feed her by hand setting on my lap and she ate everything with no problem. I even put bacon, chicken, hamburger and she still will not eat out of the bowl, mat or floor. I know she is hungry as the walks all around the bowl leans toward it and backs away, some no matter where the food is. took her collar off in case the tag bumped the bowl and scared her (never before). I cannot feed her daily by hand as she eats so slow and eats everything sit out for her.

How long can I let her go not eating until she goes back to her bowl, or are there any other ideas, this is a first for me with 8 toys. I am at my wits end

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Since she is a tpoo I would not let this go on much longer. Also if you feed her by hand, be prepared for feeding her by hand for the rest of her life. Have you tried taking her collar off for meal times. Also maybe offer her food in a new place and keep the other two separate while her food is out for her. I know how frustrating it is to have a pilly eater (my mom's mpoo can be so). I hope you can get this figured out.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I think I would try hand feeding her from a bowl, while sitting on the floor with the bowl beside me. Remove her collar first, in case it was the jangle of tags hitting the bowl that scared her. For the first few meals feed her as quickly as she wants to eat, picking the food up in your hand and keeping your hand close to the bowl. Once you know she is getting enough nutrition, I would get a bit slower with the hand service, so that she may get tired of waiting and help herself occasionally (especially if that meal is something particularly nice!). I wouldn't rush it - something has scared her badly and she may need reassurance for some time - but at the same time she is at risk if she will only eat from your hand, or if you are present.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
She might have the start of dementia. Or less acute vision. Either way, I think she needs empathy more than a firm hand. When dogs get older, they become like old people and sometimes we need to accommodate them. What you would not tolerate from a puppy or a younger dog might be something you have to work around for an elderly dog.

Try different textures of bowls, different color, or even a plate instead of a bowl. Try feeding her on a Scott towel maybe, or a rag. I’m sure something will come up that she will tolerate.

In the meantime, I would hand feed her for as long as it takes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
With Dechi on this - at 14 it may just be time for special treatment. I would try feeding her off of a very flat plate - like a small saucer in a different place from usual. Maybe that will do it - start hand feeding and intro the new place/saucer in between..

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Since she is older I don't really think hand feeding is a terrible idea, just something to think about that it sets a pattern. Whatever the solution I hope you can find it quickly.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and yes I will do whatever for her. I have done all that changed bowls took collar off, feed on mat feed on floor. Feed with hand close to each type of bowl, floor etc. I do not think it is dementia as nothing else has changed at all, still grabs a toy and plays by herself goes outside as always. No changes as an example, I get a phone call talking and say the person is coming by, I say come on over, see you shortly, instantly she is out from under the desk at the front door and will stand and bark until they arrive, unless I stop her with the other 2 behind her joining in. I always sit there while they eat, and no one goes to anyone else's bowl unless they leave, and then only for a couple of bites. I do her eyes a couple of times a day. If she needs them done she will scratch my leg and let me pick her up to handle it. I have been watching her for other changes and have seen none.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Thanks and yes I will do whatever for her. I have done all that changed bowls took collar off, feed on mat feed on floor. Feed with hand close to each type of bowl, floor etc. I do not think it is dementia as nothing else has changed at all, still grabs a toy and plays by herself goes outside as always. No changes as an example, I get a phone call talking and say the person is coming by, I say come on over, see you shortly, instantly she is out from under the desk at the front door and will stand and bark until they arrive, unless I stop her with the other 2 behind her joining in. I always sit there while they eat, and no one goes to anyone else's bowl unless they leave, and then only for a couple of bites. I do her eyes a couple of times a day. If she needs them done she will scratch my leg and let me pick her up to handle it. I have been watching her for other changes and have seen none.
I sure hope it’s not dementia but remember it has to start somewhere, and changes can be very subtle. Stay alert, just in case.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had a problem getting mimi to eat her prescription kibble (hills i/d), she wasn’t touching it when it was in the bowl. I tried everything, hand feeding worked when she was hungry but I didn’t want that to become a habit.
It was finally solved by putting the dry kibble in a kong. Now she eats it without a problem. Maybe a kong would help Bella?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Poor little old lady Bella! I have no suggestions but a lot of sympathy! Hope you find a solution!

Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Sorry Bella is going thru this. Renn is a weird eater but probably my fault as I always stood next to him while he ate just so I would know he ate and not one of the other dogs. Now I have to bring his food bowl into the room where I am on the computer and he will eat. A few weeks back I wasn't going to be home at feeding time so asked my daughter to feed him, he took a few bites and refused to it. I had something to do again this past week so I told her to sit at my computer, sure enough he ate. But he is picky lately, he will skip a meal every few days. I hope Bella gets back to eating normal for you, maybe just try a different spot in the house and see it it works for you.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried moving the bowl, changing bowls think I found what it was. Her name tag is round with a rubber around the edges I notice the rubber had come off the edges and the medal hitting the bowl scared her. Fixed that and removed the collar again so we will see, would not touch it this morning. I put it on the floor each piece and she ate it there as long as not close to the bowl. Boy I hope she gets over this fear

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found out what it was, she has a name tag and it is surround in rubber, will on side the rubber slide off and the medal hit the bowl. When I went to ut back on her to go someplace I saw it, so put it on her, and a day later she went back to her bowl, boy did I feel stupid.

She is going blind not all they way, but she will walk very slowly around the roth iron furniture, they she will speed up. I am in the process of training Sage to go get Bella. I trained Shotsie to go get Tina when Tina lot her sight, shotsie would herd her back to the house, and would go bring her to me as she could not hear she was 17 and lived to be 19.5 yrs old

1 - 16 of 16 Posts