Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Cozi is almost 5 months old and she has always had pretty consistent bathroom habits and has NEVER gone in her crate. Yesterday, we upgraded to a larger crate that our friends gave us after their dog didn't need it...

Last night around 5 am I heard her yelping....usually she sleeps through the night quietly until we wake up...but last night it persisted and then we we checked on her, she had poop and Diarrhea in her crate!!!

After walking her and puttting her back in for an hour or so back in her old crate, we thought for sure she wouldn't go in her old crate since it is smaller... But more Diarrhea this morning...

She went out right away and did more....and then 20 minutes later I fed her the tiniest meal of just dry food and 5 minutes later she told me she had to go again and we went out and definitely more.

I can't figure out what it could be!?!? I gave her a tiny bit of pepto, which the vet recommended one time when she threw up, to calm her tummy....

We haven't changed food...maybe the food went bad??? I gave her a new treat yesterday which might have caused it??? AND I gave her a flea bath yesterday since she was itching a bit after coming home from the groomer. Could that cause an allergy like this???

She is acting pretty happy now, just did zoomies and is now sleeping next to me on the floor, but I have to go to work and I don't know what to do if i come home to a messy crate again

Any advice would be very helpful!!

Thanks for reading my extra long story!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't say what is causing her diarrhea, but to start I would stop feeding the dry food. You can try plain white rice and boiled hamburg until her digestive tract calms down.
If the diarrhea is uncontrolable, I'd stop feeding solids and try some Pedialyte for a day. If it continues, I'd call the vet. You don't want her to get dehydrated.
You can check for dehydration by pulling up on the skin, it should snap back, if it stays in place, she's dehydrated.

I don't think it has anything to do with the crate size.

Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'm assuming since she's 5 months she's had 3 rounds of parvo shots right? I wouldn't want it to be something horrible like that. They eat things that they aren't supposed to eat and then they get diarrhea. If she continues to have it you are going to have to take her to the vet for them to figure out what she ate to cause it. I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh poor Cozi, I sure hope that she is feeling better now. I bet it was the new type of treat that you fed her, this happens with ours sometimes with treats that they have never had before or even a taste or two of any type of food animal or human which is new to them. Their tummy problem usually only lasts 1/2 day or so. Good luck Cozi.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all!!! I took your advice and fed Cozi some rice tonight. She did much better and so far we had one regular poop...and she seems like she is feeling better.

Fuzbutz- I think you are right, it must have been the new treats...now that I look at them again..they almost look like they have leaked oil onto the package!!! They definitely were not wet or oily when i gave them to her, and they didn't say they had any oil or weird ingredients...They are now in the trash....

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts