Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so gross and I can't quite figure it out....

Snoops has this terrible habit lately of seeking out cat poop to snack on!
We have alot of cats in the neighborhood.. I think it's bullshit that the neighbors let their cats roam free. Why even have a cat then if you just leave them out all night? Anyways, they **** all over our yard and everyone else's yard as well. On our walks, Snoops will burrow his little nose in the grass and find bits of hard cat poo to eat. He likes to sniff on bird poo as well and sometimes he will rub the side of his face into it and all along the lawn! I stop him and tell him "NOO!!!" as soon as he starts this behavior.

What is the deal with this? I can't figure it out?
When he was really little he would try to eat his poop, but soon grew out of it. I guess I will ask the vet later this week when we go in for our follow up.

I am so grossed out tho, and really worried that Snoops is gonna get really sick one of these days - worms, leptospirosis, etc..
He also loves to pop off the tops of dandelions and eat them.

So confused???!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Oh Cash is known for doing this too- I've done threatened to beat
the black off of him. We actually own a cat though, but it makes
me sick to see all of the strays on the streets- SPAY AND NEUTER IF
YOU'RE GOING TO OWN A CAT PEOPLE. I got "Miracle" our cat already
spayed and declawed. ;)

A dog eating poop is known as Coprophagia and there could be
many reasons why a dog does this: http://www.xomba.com/why_do_dogs_eat_cat_poop

However, I have no advice about what to do about the cat poo
on the ground outdoors, I could give you litter box advice but
I have none for outside-sorry!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I understand how you feel but as far as I know, most dogs do it. All of our dogs, spoos and golden, eat kitty poo if they can get at the pan and eat horse manure like there just went out to get a great desert!! I know it's common and too much of a job to try to break all of them from doing it. But, I have to say, it is beyond disgusting if one comes in the house and I didn't know they had a treat and vomits all over the living room rug.

The worst that ever happened was when Dianne and I took all of the spoos for a ride when they were younger and Grace had eaten a tummy full of horse poo. We didn't know it and all of a sudden she threw it up all over the back seat and the other dogs!!!!!! Oh, my gosh!!!! We had to open all of the windows and here we are with the dog on the side of the road trying to wipe it off with those wet wipes and then we sprayed them with Febreeze. We had to ride the rest of the day with that. But we just couldn't help but laugh about it on and off all day.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I understand how you feel but as far as I know, most dogs do it. All of our dogs, spoos and golden, eat kitty poo if they can get at the pan and eat horse manure like there just went out to get a great desert!! I know it's common and too much of a job to try to break all of them from doing it. But, I have to say, it is beyond disgusting if one comes in the house and I didn't know they had a treat and vomits all over the living room rug.

The worst that ever happened was when Dianne and I took all of the spoos for a ride when they were younger and Grace had eaten a tummy full of horse poo. We didn't know it and all of a sudden she threw it up all over the back seat and the other dogs!!!!!! Oh, my gosh!!!! We had to open all of the windows and here we are with the dog on the side of the road trying to wipe it off with those wet wipes and then we sprayed them with Febreeze. We had to ride the rest of the day with that. But we just couldn't help but laugh about it on and off all day.
My grandpa's girlfriends dogs like to go outside and roll and
eat the horse poo as well.Gross!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose is the same.

Hunts out cat poo, and if he finds horse poo trys to snack on it too.

Luckily where we live not many cats survive on their own to wonder to a neighbors.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond eats cat poo whenever he can. It's disgusting, especially when he tries to give me kisses afterwards! Ew!
Dogs eating cat poo is a pretty common problem though apparently; I read that it has to do with cat food having more of certain tasty ingredients than dog food, so it's like candy to them, thus making the poo smell tasty. -shrug- Desmond will eat anything that has anything to do with cat food- be it the food itself, poop, or vomit, he totally loves it.

It IS a health threat though, and I would keep a close eye on him while you're on your walks. If these cats are strays, they certainly could have diseases that they could pass on to Snoops. You could try positive reinforcement maybe? If he goes for the cat food, tell him "leave it" and when he stops, give him a super tasty treat. Keep doing this, if there is cat poo (or bird poo apparently, haha) give him a treat for leaving it alone. That's what I would do anyway.
I've never heard of dogs taking such an interest in bird poo though. xD That's so strange, I have no idea why he does that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never had a problem with a dog eating cat poop, but it's happened on occasion. It's just never become a habit, thank god. Dogs certainly like to consume things that we find very questionable and unappetizing.

A couple of years ago I was laying down on the hammock in my grandmothers back yard. Our black lab was out with me, sniffing around. All of a sudden I see her licking something on the floor, and immediately knew what it was from the smell. The feral cats in the neighborhood must have decided to use our backyard as a litter box. I called her over, attempting to get her to stop, but that was a big mistake. She came over to me, tail wagging, while I'm trying to get out of the hammock and stop her from getting any closer. She walked up and gave me a nice lick on the side of my face. It was horrible and disgusting, I nearly threw up from the smell. Thankfully she never ate cat poop after that day...

I don't think there is much you can do besides teaching him a command like "leave it".

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think a few of the cats are strays and the others belong to my neighbor.. ugh... I actually just really despise my neighbors. haha! I wish they would keep an eye on their cats and keep them in THEIR yard. Mind you, if I were the cats I would run as far away from them as well. They have a little poodle x that they keep indoors. Recently they have started walking him and just have absolutely no control over him, or know how. They stand around on the street yapping on their cell phone while the dog is on a long leash, yapping, growling, going NUTS. Ok.. I digress... just had to vent a bit.

Anyway... I read that cat poo has protein. Nonetheless it is a dirty habit. Snoops understands the command "dirty" when we get too close to poop that people in the hood haven't bothered to poop n scoop (another major pet peeve of mine). I say "dirty" and Snoops backs off. This works with Snoops and the cat poo only after he's had one tasty tidbit. I am also grossed out because he and I share kisses and he eats with me all the time! I don't want poop kisses or poop germs! haha! He doesn't care much for treats of the cookie variety.. but LOVES cat poop treats.

Spoospirit - OMG! You are a trooper!! :puke: :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same problem here cuddleparty! We have feral cats that people feed, but won't take care of properly. The cats have babies, fight, poop, and spray all around my porch, car, and backyard. My many neighbors walk their dogs and have absolutely no control over them. Their dogs are basically walking them. They lunge after anything that passes be it car, person, dog, bark like crazy, and just have no manners. Owners are either talking on their phone, or just don't care. Also, the people that live across from us have let their dog out to use the bathroom and he has run up to me and tried to bite me. They don't pick up after their dogs either! I can't even walk in the grass leading up to my house because people just let their dogs poop on my front lawn.

As for Snoops...when he tries to eat the cat poop maybe you should say "dirty" and walk in the other direction so he can't actually eat it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It is very common for dogs to eat cat poo. I have never had a dog that didn't try, thus our cat litter box is in a cabinet that only the cats can get into, thus, no more dogs trying to sneak-a-snack.

When a wild dog/cat kills an animal, they eat the entrails with all the undigested food and poo in it. They actually get something out of this that is good for their diet, thus they find it good and tasty. A dog that eats dog poo, however, is not as common and is definitely not good, definitely a problem on parasite transfer.

Dogs also rub or roll in other animal poos, especially cow/horse/rabbit to hide their own sent, it is a natural wild instinct to "hide" their own odor for when they hunt prey. Of course, ours don't hunt prey anymore..lol.. but that doesn't stop that inner instinct. MMMMMM... Ode-de-horse.... ain't it the best? LOL.

Whenever your dog starts sniffing into the grass, tell him to "leave it" and redirect him immediately away from the area. They learn "leave it" as a command to leave whatever they are doing alone and this can be used in any situation where you want your dog to redirect its attention.
Good luck.... poo eating is not easy to break because it is so inbred into them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So dogs roll around to smell like a horse.. but personally, if I were a little bunny rabbit, I would still run aware from a horse.. :laugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
When we were at a friend's house Cali kept running into the cat's room to get to the cat box. I didn't know what she was doing in there, then I realized that she was eating their poo! I was thoroughly grossed out and couldn't even look at her for a couple of days following the incident. That is so disgusting!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I hear you on this Spoospirit! Our PWD Kelsey ate moose poop about 16 years ago. The first we knew of it was when the smell reached the front seat and we all had to pile out of the car. I have never smelled anything so horrible! We cleaned what we could up and had to drive home down the highway for about 2 hours with the windows wide open! Too funny.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think in general all dogs love eating/sniffing whatever smells absolutely disgusting.... I know for Ponki doesn't stop at horse or cat poop.... she's tried Canadian geese poop (her favorite)... deer poop... rabbit etc.

If she's not eating it then she has to roll in it.

It took me half a century to cure her from her poop eating/rolling habit... I jumped on her like a psycho lady every time her mouth opened!:motz:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
This brings back memories. Katie would try to eat cat poop when we had cats. It didn't take long for me to realize I needed to keep her out of it. Thankfully, she didn't form a habit. My first one LOVED to roll in dead fish entrails. YUCK! I didn't get stuck in the car with the smell, so I feel lucky there.

Sounds like you will just need to keep an extra eye on Snoops since there is so much poop available. With cats feeding on wild animals, it certainly increases the risk of him getting infected.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Tynk would go in and try to sneak some out of Banjo's litter box LOL!!! Till I was nasty one week and gave Banjo the potty mouth pills!!!!!! LMAO!!!! She NEVER tried to eat them again LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I have had a puppy that ate their own poo! Potty mouth did the trick!:heh:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Guess I'll add to this gross topic-we had never experienced it before, but our German Shepherd did that during her first year. We changed food until we found one that had a high enough fiber content-I think that's what it was-there is also something you can add to their food which makes it distasteful to eat the pooh (how it can be more so-I don't know!) but I cannot recall what the ingredient was-maybe you can Google it-anyway, she has stopped it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts