Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I hope someone can help us. My 6 month old miniature poodle Cato is going mad scratching the corner of his mouth. We have taken him to the vet who has checked him for fleas etc and given him ear drops. He rubs his face against the sofa or anything else he can find but he is driving himself mad. We have thought it may be his back teeth but they look fine. Any ideas??

·
Registered
75 Posts
How odd. Have you trimmed the area close to see if you can see anything like a rash? I would suspect his ear canal too. Does his ear "smell funny"? If so, you could have the vet clean his ear out (they can sedate him for about 5 or 10 minutes for this). My miniature had a real problem with his ears and had to have this done once a year. He seems to have outgrown it and I haven't had it done for a few years now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind help. His ears smell fine and he is on special ear drops from the vet to make sure his ears are not infected. There seems to be no rash round the area. It is a real puzzler.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It could be allergies. I'd put him on an all natural diet of chicken, vegetables and brown rice... . poodles are very sensitive and most cannot tolerate the addictives and perservatives in most dog foods... if that works.
Change his diet to anyone of the following:
Natural Balance - Sweet potatoe and Fish or duck and potatoe
Avoderm Baked
Solid Gold
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for that. He eats tripe and mixer biscuit. Will not eat any complete dog foods at all. We left the mixer out for a few days to see if he was wheat intolerant but it made no difference. We have considered hayfever as he has been rubbing his eyes all afternoon. I gave him an antihistamine so I hope that will help. We have taken all the air fresheners out of the house and have tried all sorts of things to see if he has an allergy. The vet says it may be an ear infection and gave him Canaural drops but they don't seem to make any difference and his ears don't smell at all. I may have to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion. He is our first puppy and it is awful to see him rubbing his face and getting sores.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree with allergies but not to food, I would say is something you use to clean with or bathing him with. I have a client dog who is allergic to soap and I have to use a soap free shampoo on him and no sprays or conditioners.

I would have a allergies test done on him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts