Poodle Forum banner

Help please-Bad reaction to a raw meal.

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Mandycasey'smom 
#1 ·
I've been away for a couple of days visiting a college with my son. Returned last night to a very sick dog :(.

There seems to have been something wrong with the raw chicken wings I left for my husband to feed Jasper. I've been feeding raw wings once a day for a while now. He usually tolerates them well. Diarrhea is an understatement, more like colored water. (Sorry for tmi.) The last couple of times have had a bit of fresh blood, probably from irritation. Just a few minutes ago he threw up the bones.

A friend is out searching for canned pumpkin, which seems to be hard to find in my area. Any other suggestions? I can get an anti-diarrheal drug from the Vet, but then usually we end up with the reverse problem LOL.

#2 ·
I am not sure it's from the RAW - if he's been on this routine, it shouldn't affect him this bad. They can eat bad smelly chicken and be fine (from what I have read eww)

His stomach is upset from something and he will throw up some bones if he is not digesting well. Olie has done this a few times, but it's usually when he's hungry. The bile puke.

Have you been away from him for a few days before? - it could be nerves too. This is what happens to Suri when she gets upset.

If you have immodium maybe you can give him one of those - I had a breeder and vet recommend that to me. Might ask the Vet just to be sure.

#3 ·
i'm guessing he got into something.

but EVERY once in a while (my dogs eat 100% raw) one of my aussies will get the runs- never usre what from other dogs eating from same batch of meat wont- so i know it's not the meat.

if the blood is fresh looking i wouldn't worry too much at this point- keep him hydrated and watch- if it doesn't change for 24 hours i'd talk to the vet.

just this week i woke up to i swear my entire bedroom floor coated in watered down poopy diarreah. i couldn't believe it- the smell woke me not the dog. poop 6 hours later? totally normal. Other 2 dogs? totally fine eating exact same thing.

#4 ·
There's apparently a pumpkin shortage, signs posted on the shelves at Shaw's and Stop & Shop :-/.

I was away for one night/two days. The first day was fine. The second day everything was okay, too, until after the last meal. Around midnight everything went haywire. Interestingly enough the cat shared some of Jasper's meal before my husband noticed, and the cat is also sick with the same symptoms. This is what made me think it was likely a bad batch of wings. (wouldn't be unheard of with our supermarkets) Jas and the cat usually have stomach's of steel.

On a bright note, the Toy doesn't have enough teeth left to eat raw and is feeling just peachy today LOL.

#5 ·
Hmmn. I agree, slightly funky 'off' chicken is a natural thing for the little scavengers to eat, so that shouldn't be the issue- the natural decomposition bacteria that warn us off shouldn't make a dog sick.

However, there are such a host of UNnatural contaminants that raw chicken is exposed to in commercial processing. I don't know (not being a vet) if listeria, e coli, samonella etc, can make dogs sick, but I rather guess it was something in the wash.

An article on food safety once described as it as 'fecal soup', that the chickens are cleaned in- you can be fast, or you can be careful, but you can't do both. Chicken workers are paid little & lose a lot of fingers; they have other concerns than worrying overly about accidental spillage of gut contents.

Yum! (This is why I always brine my chicken in kosher salt. That issue of Consumer Reports really stuck in my mind, lol.)

I hope Jasper & kitty are feeling mo bettah soon. Poor babies!

#6 ·
How are Jasper and the cat doing now? Has the diarrhea resolved? If he is continuing with the extreamly watery diarrhea then i would take him to teh vet. They can loose fluids and get dehydrated very quickly with watery stools. I would also get him some meds at this point. Boiled chicken/hamburger and rice are a great thing to feed him for awhile too.

#7 ·
get him on some probiotics and slippery elm bark! I'd rest his gut for 24 - 36 hours other than water and the probiotics. Slippery Elm bark is GREAT for bacteria (or any) diarrhea and will clear it up right away, plus it sooths to gut and lessens any irritation that may be present.

Sorry your fur-kids are feeling under the weather :(

#8 ·
This happened to Vegas too, I have him completely on kibble now since whenever I try to introduce the raw chicken back his stool turns into a fountain of slime again =/ is that what you're getting? He even had blood in it at one point. The vet suggested bad bacteria was in his system.

I had him on cooked white rice and boiled hamburger to settle his stomach, then introduced kibble into that slowly. It helped a lot.

#10 ·
Oh my - very sorry to hear that :smow:

Since both animals that ate it got the same symptoms - there must have been something wrong with that chicken and, as somebody mentioned , not necessarily regular spoilage !!!! : ((( It would be especially unusual for a CAT to get diarrhea from anything raw - they are truly carnivores and survive eating the wost vermin carrying all kind of diseases and such *ugh !!!

Could it be that many other pets got stomach upset in your area and thus a "pumpkin shortage " resulted ????:rolffleyes:

I really hope it will stop soon !!!:rainbow:

#15 ·
In theory this is true but I believe the more an animal becomes domesticated, the less it's body can sustain what would sustain it in the "wild" because it doesn't need to. I fed raw chicken to my cat and she got bloody diarrhea in 24 hours and she barely ate any. This was ground chicken but because she's an indoor purebreed cat, she's not used to eating things that would be raw and her body cannot handle the bacteria that has to be broken down in her body. I will never feed it to her again that's for sure.

#11 ·
Fluffyspoos, Yes, that's what he has.

The diarrhea is less frequent, but it's still slimy liquid. (sorry for that visual!!) The kitten is in the same boat.

I've got a call into the Vet just in case it's not gone by tomorrow. In the morning I'll give him a little rice. That used to work well for our GR. After last night and this morning, I don't want to wake up to anything I don't have to tonight :-/.

His water intake is good. His energy is pretty good considering. Same goes for the kitten.

Slippery Elm Bark sounds like something we won't have up here, but I'll check around. Probiotics I can get.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

#13 ·
Apparently there is a production issue with pumpkin. Shelves are bare and signs are up about the problem. I suspect it's in short supply in more areas than just here, but don't know for sure. If I make it to "civilization" tomorrow I'll check to see if I can find it there.

#16 ·
This is my theory having switched over dozen dogs to raw in the last 5 yers

1- some dogs DO hvae allergies. even when on rw- however the majority don't

2- that when switching from kibble to raw- a good majority of dogs will get horrid runs for 1-2 days. my belief of it is few reasons 1- they are flushing out lot of stuff from their gut by having such a simplistic diet.
2- the raw has SO Much more water. THey drink like they are still on kibble and their body hsn't adjusted to it- nd yes i find that affects the stools not just how much they pee (but i also find they pee lke crazy for about 2 days!)

Hope the cat and dog are better- both having the same reaction definatly sounds like something was off in something they both had!

#17 ·
In theory this is true but I believe the more an animal becomes domesticated, the less it's body can sustain what would sustain it in the "wild" because it doesn't need to. I fed raw chicken to my cat and she got bloody diarrhea in 24 hours and she barely ate any. This was ground chicken but because she's an indoor purebreed cat, she's not used to eating things that would be raw and her body cannot handle the bacteria that has to be broken down in her body. I will never feed it to her again that's for sure.
Actually , Kpoos , I think you might be very correct in that observation !!! I think that it is especially the case with dogs and cats that were not introduced to the raw diet since very early age - basically as soon as they were introduced to solid food :rolffleyes: as it is done in nature.

I had a ton of cats as a child and no cat food existed LOL so all of my cats and kittens always were fed raw :). They also hunted for birds , mice and lizards for fun and they never ever had any digestive issues :)

I believe it was the case because they were eating raw as soon as they were weaned and their digestive tract "learned" early how to deal with raw food ...

#18 ·
Could very well be! I also think something gets lost along the way with the mutated genes that people use to get certain outward traits. You can't know what happens inside an animal when you selectively breed for a certain shaped head that only occurs as a mutation. When in nature, the mutations would be culled and not even exist. No feral cats have large round eyes, flat noses, and thick coats like a persian. They'd never survive life as a feral with that type of structure so when breeders take the mutations and breed them together, you don't know what you are doing to the make up of the organs in the body until something occurs and you can see a problem with that animal and then the right thing to do would be cull that from your breeding program but many don't. That's when you find out that certain "lines" carry sensitive stomaches or problems with sinues or any number of problems that breeding purebreed animals creates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.