Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I crate my puppies (even the fosters) in my bedroom next to the bed. While I covered my current pup's wire crate with a towel, I've left the first 6" uncovered and can see that she starts the night with her head right at the front, maybe so that she can watch me out the side of the crate.

When I was leaving my home to work (pre-pandemic), I gave my puppies a kong in their crate as I left. This may be an idea to try at night. A chew may also help (though I've had to buy a bully stick 'holder' for my current pup because she swallows the last nub). My pup periodically plays with a toy, or chews a chunk of buffalo horn, at night in her crate.

My pup still doesn't go into her crate as well as my older dogs do; it's a work in progress. I save the best treats for this purpose (usually bits of meat). She isn't able to settle herself outside the crate, even when she needs a nap, so is crated several times throughout the day while I'm home.

Good luck. This time will pass quickly so try to look for the positives in young puppyhood.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts