Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Going to a new home is a big life change for the little baby, so he might need a little more support. It sounds like you got really lucky with your first pup, but remember that 13 weeks is still basically an infant who's been taken away from everything he's known. Some fussy nights are very much to be expected.

I slept on the couch, next to the puppy pen, for a week or so after bringing my boy home. Then gradually moved back to my bedroom by starting the night napping nearby then moving to my own bed when he was asleep. You might also try adding one of the Snuggle Puppy toys to his pen. I didn't use one, but other people swear by them. It's basically a stuffy toy that plays a heartbeat sound to make them feel a little less alone.

I know there are different philosophies on how long to 'wait it out' but with such a young puppy, so new to my home, I wouldn't let it go for more than 5 minutes before doing something about it. Waiting for a micro-pause in the barking, then taking him outside for a potty break, maybe try re-settling him in the crate/pen with a treat or chew.

When they're older, if I know all biological needs are taken care of, I might let it go a little longer before interrupting. I think letting them bark for hours is only going to let them practice an undesirable behavior and create a bunch of bad feelings about the crate.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts