Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a female toy poodle. Prefer large or oversized toy, lighter colors (no black). Puppy or young adult OK. I have not had much luck and need your help with the following:

1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/477233365657056/
Litters from Health Tested Poodles (facebook) is recommended by many PF members.
But this group is closed and I could not join. If any PF member has access to this group, and happen to see any good toy or small mini poodle posted, would you let me know?

2. I browsed through some old threads from PF members looking for toy poodles in the Pacific Northwest, some said that there are local breeders who don't even have any web presence. Unfortunately, their contacts were shared via PM, so I can't see them now. If anyone know of such breeders, please let me know.

3. I found one local toy poodle breeder who is planning a litter soon. But I feel uncomfortable with her answers to a couple of my questions. She sent me a picture of the parents to be. I noticed the skin on one dog has some lumps and asked her. She said there was no skin condition - she just did a poor shaving job. When I asked for genetic test numbers, she was unwilling to share. Below are the Q&A. What do you think?

[me] What is the skin condition on the poodle in the last picture? What types of health testing have you done for the parents?
[Breeder] There is no skin condition. I just didn’t shaved his leg very good, and what you see is hair.
My dogs are optigen tested clear/ by the way of parentage(DNA testing for blindness in breed) everybody have good patella.
[me] Would you provide the test result numbers for the parents so I can look them up online?
[Breeder] I don’t just give out information for my dog’s test information, but you will receive copy of test certification when you buy puppy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Try the 'Poodles Online.com' website. They also require that all breeders health test...........Good luck, and do let us know when you find the puppy of your dreams!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
you could try farthing poodles (she does mostly black, but also has some browns) in eatonville wa. please note i cannot vouch for her personally. i just stumbled across her website a few years ago. it looked respectable and she does show, but i don't know about testing.

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
... 3. I found one local toy poodle breeder who is planning a litter soon. But I feel uncomfortable with her answers to a couple of my questions. She sent me a picture of the parents to be. I noticed the skin on one dog has some lumps and asked her. She said there was no skin condition - she just did a poor shaving job. When I asked for genetic test numbers, she was unwilling to share. Below are the Q&A. What do you think?

[me] What is the skin condition on the poodle in the last picture? What types of health testing have you done for the parents?
[Breeder] There is no skin condition. I just didn’t shaved his leg very good, and what you see is hair.
My dogs are optigen tested clear/ by the way of parentage(DNA testing for blindness in breed) everybody have good patella.
[me] Would you provide the test result numbers for the parents so I can look them up online?
[Breeder] I don’t just give out information for my dog’s test information, but you will receive copy of test certification when you buy puppy.
Run!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
What state do you live in and which ones would be willing to travel to? Folks here can give you names of specific breeders in nearly all the states with good reputations in your area.

I spent months looking all over the East Coast before discovering a good breeder who does testing and shows only an hour drive away. I was able to visit, see the parents, put down a deposit, and pick up my puppy 3 weeks later when she was old enough to go home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Patk. I have a good impression with Farthing Poodles and have contacted them. But they only have black toys.

Thanks, Vita. I think I should run too. But her previous litter looks so cute so I hesitate a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
i checked farthing's website just before posting and it said there was a brown toy in her nursery. did not say if boy or girl, so i am assuming male.

Reactions: PuppyDream

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Seattle, Washington. I would be willing to travel to Oregon, BC (Canada), Alberta (Canada), California, Montana, Idaho, Nevada in the decreasing order of preference.

However, if it is an ideal pup (6-12 months old) and already potty trained, I would be willing to travel to any state to pick her up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Patk and Zooeysmom. The brown toy poodle at Farthing's Nursery page looks so dark that it looks like black to me. Both of my girls do not want black or very dark brown pup because they said they love the poodle's eyes and would like to see the contrast between the hair and the eyes. I think medium brown would be OK with them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks, Patk and Zooeysmom. The brown toy poodle at Farthing's Nursery page looks so dark that it looks like black to me. Both of my girls do not want black or very dark brown pup because they said they love the poodle's eyes and would like to see the contrast between the hair and the eyes. I think medium brown would be OK with them.
I would reach out to Clarion. I've had excellent interactions with her and she is so nice and helpful! If I hadn't found my sweet little girl (who is a bit older and fit the timeframe we wanted our second dog better), I would absolutely have gotten my next dog from Ann at Clarion. Top notch!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts

i also thought it was black when i first saw it. however, the breeder says brown and what shade of brown it will eventually be is possibly open to question. when you contact breeders, ask if they know someone else with a dog that might fit your needs. that's how i found my first dog - a lowchen - through the breed club secretary. i suspect the better breeders tend to help each other out. good luck.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I totally get having color preferences. Black was last on my list but when we met then Poodle B now Neo, his sweetness made me forget his color. There's no trouble seeing their eyes when you're face to face :) Now, across the room, yep, that's difficult lol. Try not to rule out hard-enough-to-find pups on the basis of color, if you can help it.

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
I live in Seattle, Washington. I would be willing to travel to Oregon, BC (Canada), Alberta (Canada), California, Montana, Idaho, Nevada in the decreasing order of preference.

However, if it is an ideal pup (6-12 months old) and already potty trained, I would be willing to travel to any state to pick her up.
These are breeders who have beautiful pups and good reputations.

Try contacting:

Jim Wagoner, Washington state
http://kandylandpoodles.wixsite.com/kandylandpoodleshome

Koehl's Toy Poodles, Lisa Newsom, Texas
Might still have a white male pup
https://www.facebook.com/koehlstoypoodles/

NaDal's Toy Poodles, Natina Martin
Saskatoon, Canada
Just posted an available white male pup
https://www.facebook.com/NaDalPoodles/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rose n Poos. I'm afraid non-Black is a hard requirement :) My kids actually wanted white/cream. But they have compromised to include all colors but black.

Thanks Vita, TammyW. the two boys from your links look absolutely adorable. But we are looking for a girl. I'll contact Koehl's and Nadal's. I've already talked to Jin from Kandyland's but it did not work out.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
i just remembered gail zamora in grass valley ca. her website is poodletoy dot com. her site currently includes some apricot female pups. she is a large scale breeder, which some people do not like. she has a link to an article in poodle review mag on her front page. she does not ship, so you would have to travel to meet her and her dogs, which is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Patk. I'll reach out to Gail. I'm still up at this hour searching for poodles. It's great that I have extra eyes helping me out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If we didn’t get her, I would have told you about our little brown girl we will soon be picking up in Tennessee. Maybe reach out to Barbara at Dbara Poodles to see if she will have any others coming available soon.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts