Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Ollie at 7 months old, we fed what the breeder fed - Royal Canin. He is a super picky eater and would barely eat it. He’s also tall and thin. Sometimes I wondered if he was getting enough and I think not but he just didn’t like it. I tried other foods without much success. I even tried freshpet and he liked it initially but eventually wouldn’t eat that.

Then we decided to get our girl Ella, who eats Primal frozen raw beef or lamb and decided to transition him to that also. He LOVES it. Scarfs it down like nothing I’ve ever seen. Well over a month on it and he’s not doing well. Just now he woke up and had diarrhea. He’s had messy poops with it. We tried feeding Firm Up pumpkin powder. It’s clear he’s not doing well digestively on it.

But what do we do now? He is SO picky. I just don’t know what to feed him that he will actually eat. We need something tasty for him and that won’t cause his digestion to freak out. Ella will still get the frozen raw and that will be hard on him because he loves it so much.

For the next few days I’ll be feeding him boiled rice and chicken but I need a long term food plan.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Aww that makes it more difficult. Are you sure its the food? Did you tradition him to it slowly using the 25% new/75% old week 1, 50-50 week 2, 75/25 week 3 then new by week 4? With some dogs you have to do that. I'd continue the boiled chicken breast & rice until he is good and firm and then slowly add a bit of the primal to it slowly and see if there is any improvement. I use canned pumpkin in my dogs diets, about a teaspoon or so with each meal. Or maybe you could use his dry kibble and just add a little of the primal to it with added pumpkin and see how he does with that, (eventually). Anyway just some ideas.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly I’m very certain it’s the food. It wasn’t bad in the beginning. It actually kept getting worse. I’ve had to stop and give boiled and chicken and rice for a few days (he is immediately fine) and then try again. The first few days back on the raw are always ok and then his poop gets a little wetter. We’ve had four different “emergency” diarrhea episodes where he has pooped on the floor, poor guy.

So it sounds like first we try a different frozen raw? Any specific suggestions? I’m thinking something a little less rich. He’s always been sensitive on this area.

Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
I agree with trying one meat at a time, but I would also look at the proportions of liver and other organ meat in the mix - Sophy is extremely sensitive to even a tiny bit too much liver. I would try a home made food for a while, with less liver, and see how he does. Home cooked may be easier than raw, but just as palatable.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Heart can be too rich, too - I would cut out the beef variety, and any others that use mostly heart and liver. The chicken looks a better bet - I would try him on just that for a while. If there are no problems you could try mixing in a very little of the richer flavours - about 10% at first.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to come back with an update. Yesterday afternoon he vomited a handful of times (I had given him boiled chicken and steamed white rice in the morning). He was still having diarrhea. I called my vet and it was close to closing time. Asked if I should take him to the emergency vet and they didn’t feel it was necessary. He did get up a couple times to diarrhea in the middle of the night (we were on high alert and woke immediately to take him out), plus some dry heaving.

This morning took him to vet and they feel it is food related since he has shown a sensitive stomach on the past. Got an anti-nausea shot plus pills for the next four days, plus an antibiotic.

The recommendation is to feed the chicken and rice for a few more days and then transition him to another (non raw) food. Since Ollie is SO picky, my main concern was being palatable to him. They suggested trying canned which I think is a good suggestion. They gave a few brand names they like but just said it will be a bit of trial and error finding the right thing for him and then just being consistent. And to consider a limited ingredient diet - one major protein plus potato the suggested.

So not sure what we will try but I will go to the nicer pet food stores to closer look at the canned food options. My head is spinning a bit in hopes we find the right thing quickly but also know it could be a process.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If he continues to throw up you might question if he ate a foreign object and has a blockage! I hope than is not the case but keep it in mind!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to keep in mind about possible blockage. No more vomiting so I think he’s good now. Back to eating again and regular activity. Hopefully once we find a new non-raw food things will be fine again.

So traumatic when our babies are struggling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts