Poodle Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When I was looking for a Standard I called this one lady who only had 2 pups n the ltter, a white and a brown. She named them Mcain and Obama!! LOL I thought it was too funny and very clever! She said that Mcain went very fast and no one wanted Obama because of his name. Have a sense of humor people!!
Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard at (at this moment... at half past midnight lol)

I name puppies before they leave, but always leave it up to the new owners to change the call names. I think we had a pup named siskell that the new owners changed to bamboo. Can't say that I blame them. It's a big deal in our family when puppies turn two weeks old and get unofficaly named. They have a number up until the two week mark, puppy 1, 2, 3, ect. We name them just so it's easier to know which pup you are talking about in conversation. I don't think they really learn their names from us though...
Anyway the point is, maybe thats the same kind of thing this breeder is doing.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
We took a long time to name the minis -over a week - my daughter wanted to see the personality and we finally settled on names that fit them today like a glove! Cassandra - Cassie or Cassie bear for short - she is chubby and stubborn and too loveable! lol Gabrielle - Gabie for short - the littliest dog but she is the mother - the boss - when the big dogs start rough housing she barks at them to stop. Its so cute! I wrote a story about them that shows their personalities. If I can figure out how to post it I will.

·
Registered
554 Posts
They have to have names because you get sick of trying to tell your hubby that "you know that one puppy with the blah blah blah" and a name is easier to say than to describe the puppy! LOL

I still like R2D2...:high5:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So here are the names the kids have come up with: 6 yr old came up with Dutch, Joey, November, December and Curly. 4yr old has come up with Leroy, Bo and.......now I cant remember. Still need help deciding!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, I can't pictures a regal standard poodle named Leroy, but I love it anyway. That might come from living in the extreme south and Leroy was a cousin of my ******* boyfriend in highschool.... whew I am glad I found some good sense and didn't marry THAT guy :) LoL.

Seriously though, I like Dutch and Bo personaly. I can't wait to hear what else your kids come up with for names. I know I came up with some pretty funny names for pets when I was little. Gosh, scary thought, now I wish I had kids just to hear what they would say... Maybe I need some sleep??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
LoL, I can't pictures a regal standard poodle named Leroy, but I love it anyway. That might come from living in the extreme south and Leroy was a cousin of my ******* boyfriend in highschool.... whew I am glad I found some good sense and didn't marry THAT guy :) LoL.

Seriously though, I like Dutch and Bo personaly. I can't wait to hear what else your kids come up with for names. I know I came up with some pretty funny names for pets when I was little. Gosh, scary thought, now I wish I had kids just to hear what they would say... Maybe I need some sleep??
hahaha!!! Leroy is funny! If we named him that we would have to keep his top really fluffy and afro like!LOL My DH and I are leaning towards Dutch, but we also are going to try to see if we can find a Native American name. Just not sure what yet. If I were to ever get a brown I think I would name him Irish Whisky On the Rocks something or other, and call him Whisky. i dont know why I like that so much, reminds me of my dad I guess!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
A couple here let their child name their new great dane pup - wait for it ......

Trixie Bell Fairy Dust - and the dogs a male :rofl: They didn't want to disappoint her so that's his name honestly.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
A couple here let their child name their new great dane pup - wait for it ......

Trixie Bell Fairy Dust - and the dogs a male :rofl: They didn't want to disappoint her so that's his name honestly.
Try to come up with a name that has two syllables. The dog trainer told me when I am using a command to move forward to say "Ginger Come" and when a stationery command say "Ging sit" He said use one syllable for stationery. Just a thought for you!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Try to come up with a name that has two syllables. The dog trainer told me when I am using a command to move forward to say "Ginger Come" and when a stationery command say "Ging sit" He said use one syllable for stationery. Just a thought for you!
My grandson just suggested "Quarter" cause I told him he was going to be silver. Silver Dollar would be more accurate lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
There really is no need to shorten a two syllable name to one syllable for training. This is an older idea that I didn't realize was still be taught. You dog should learn his name means you are A) talking to him and/or B) that he should look at you. The name should be your attention cue. If you shorten it, you in the dog's mind changing the word and it's meaning and now you've added a new word to the vacb that has to be learned. It easier to just to use the dog's name, whatever it ends up being and the add single word cues and later phrases. Unless you often call your dog by the shortened version of the name.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
don't know - that is what he taught us - I call Teddy Ted when I want him to sit or lay down - and he doesn't ha ha - so maybe I;ll try Teddy! lol

21 - 34 of 34 Posts