Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in Poodle care~~~ she bathed him and then didnt brush him!! On top of that he has been playing with 2 other dogs in the meantime non stop for the past 2 weeks!! My sister dog sat for us when we went on vacation and so I didnt know she had done this. What can I do to to make brushing him out easier on the both of us? And sadly I feel a few matts!! ARGH He goes to get groomed this Friday, but until then I need help

oh, and on top of it all Dutch is going through his coat change I think!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You could use a detangler or conditioner while you demat him. Just put it staight on his hair to work apart the mats. I used an entire bottle of cheap conditioner (Suave) and a metal comb for dematting my Maltese, when I first adopted him. Then I bathed him as usual.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
sometimes a slicker brush will work to seperate matts. Part the hair down to the skin and then work the slicker from the skin outward in little sections. It's kind of a pat and pull method, pet the brush into the base of the mat and gentle pull up and out. Follow up with the comb. A good conditioner might help and it might not, I personaly never have much luck with them but then most of the dog's I get are probably in much worse shape than dutch boy.

I'd say go slowly with the worst of the matts, Hopefuly they will be easy enough to work out of the coat. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
On groomer has it they had a trick of using corn starch to help break up the matts, it worked and it was one of the groomer tips on the show the first week! Try that if it is really bad.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I've never brushed Moose after a bath or playing in the lake... is it that big of a deal?

Or does your guy have really long hair?

-Todd

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hang in there Tanner, Im sure you'll get the matts out. Sounds like Dutch had a good old time playing while you were away. lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hang in there Tanner, Im sure you'll get the matts out. Sounds like Dutch had a good old time playing while you were away. lol
He did!! My sister has a Golden Retriever(9yrs) and a Goldendoodle(a few months older than Dutch) and my sister said that they just kept going and going keeping my brother-in-law up who is a DR. It didnt help that while I was on vacation all it did here was rain!

So far I have his head and ears combed out and will work further down his body tomorrow. I dont want to stress him out or put him through too much pain.

I ended up buying some leave in conditioner that untangles hair for African American babies. So far it has worked pretty well. My only complaint is that I need a bigger spray nozzle to cover more of an area.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
sometimes a slicker brush will work to seperate matts. Part the hair down to the skin and then work the slicker from the skin outward in little sections.
Depends if he is a show dog or not. Slicker will break the coat when its that tightly mattered. Its best to seperate with your fingers then comb, seperate again till its all out.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends if he is a show dog or not. Slicker will break the coat when its that tightly mattered. Its best to seperate with your fingers then comb, seperate again till its all out.
this is what I have been doing. talk about time consuming!! I feel the slicker brush doesnt work for me.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I didn't think Ducth was a show dog... in any case breaking hair is better than being matted, show dog or not. Though if I were maintain a show coat I wouldn't dare if I could help it. Getting that hair to grow out like that and be in condition is a pain. LoL.

Sorry the slicker is working well for you, but I am glad something else is. It's really hard to discribe how it is to use the slicker to break the matts apart, and I would guess you don't have the right kind anyhow to do it. Probably thats a good thing since I can't think of a reason you would need one day to day. I never use a comb anymore for what little demating I do on clients. I have a hard slicker that does the trick. If it doesn't, or it doesn't do it quickly I shave 'em down, owners be damned. I don't have time for dematting anymore most of the time :)

Glad he isn't so badly matted that you have to shave him, his hair is so lovely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dematting a matted dog is time consuming and VERY painful to teh dog. IF he is not a show dog and if he is severly matted, please don't put him thru the "dematting process" as hair will grow back.

A good dematting product is OMG by plush puppy.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yeah, my slicker brush is a cheap one.
lol, that made me laugh at myself. Shhhh, don't tell, but almost all my slickers that I have now are cheap ones. I'm always yelling at them too.... It never fails I prick my finger with it, or brush the back of my hand with one, or it doesn't work on something, or the teeth start falling out and I start a' cussing lol. You stupid @#$#%$# [email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected] brush $#% I #$%#$%#$% throw the %#$%$ thing away! !!!! LoL.

Hows it going? by the way?

A good point to think about is the discomfort of demating. It's one of the reasons I don't offer to demats very many of my client dogs.... I reccently stopped demating my best poodle and boy was that lady in for a shock. Anyway my point is DON'T demat delicate areas like the groin, or arm pits, and belly... Even just little tangles hurt in those areas, best to just clip them out and since you can't see those areas anyway you won't even notice.

Also take care on the ears, if they are matted to the skin down near the tips of the leather.

Hope they;ve all come out by now though :) and it was easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi. I have been very interested in this thread due to the fact that even though Gi Gi is 'our' pup, it is me who gets to bathe, groom, in other words, 'annoy' her. You said that your pup is 6.5 mo old...how is she handling holding still...at times Gi behaves like a feral cat when I try to groom her...especially her back end....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts