Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a new member on this board and I desperately need some help with my puppy. I have a 4 months old male standard poodle puppy. I just got him from a breeder about 10 days ago. He is house trained and crate trained. and he behaved well when I took him petco. I take him out every 3 hours to pee. And I also walk, run, play with him outside. He is very curious about just EVERYTHING. he eats dead leaves, rocks, dirt, grass, etc. The vet said that it's normal for puppy, and grass won't do too much damage. But it is almost impossible to leash train him because he's constantly sniffing the ground and chewing on things. About 3 days ago, he started to refuse to come back inside my condo building. Once he realizes that we are going to go back, he stops, then sit down, sometimes even lies down. I tried to pull on the leash gently and he wouldn't budge. I also squad down, make high pitch voices, clap hands, tried luring him with some treats, but nothing really worked. After he finally come inside my condo building, he would do the same once he is in front my condo unit. He just lies down by the staircase in front my door and wouldn't move. Does any of you have the similar experience? What can I do to correct this behavior. I am going to start clicker train him in a few days. Maybe that will help a little bit?

·
Registered
843 Posts
There is a thread somewhere here about leash training,with some good tips.
I think the trick is to find a treat he cannot say no to.
Then you use it to lure him inside the condo etc.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the puppyhood.
Eventually he will outgrow it.
He is also in a new environment and has to learn what is expected of him.
Just like with children...you have to establish routine and be consistent.
Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
just sounds like a spoo who enjoys the life of the great outdoors!! My guy(who is about 4mo) would live outside if I let him!! He cant get enough of being outside doing what puppies do best.......exploring and getting into trouble!! As for leash training he will catch on the more you practice. Good luck, and welcome

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I can just picture it! welcome to the forum - guess he likes it outside. Question - do you have an elevator? Just thought maybe he is afraid of something inside. good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Thank you guys for the prompt replies. I guess he is just being a puppy :p and to Pamela, we do have an elevator but I live on the second floor and we use staircases. He knows how to climb up but he's too scared to climb down~. any tips on that? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Thank you guys for the prompt replies. I guess he is just being a puppy :p and to Pamela, we do have an elevator but I live on the second floor and we use staircases. He knows how to climb up but he's too scared to climb down~. any tips on that? Thanks in advance.
he will et used to the stairs - perhaps that is what he is thinking about lol who knows - these dogs are sooooo smart!:shot:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome...sounds like he is just being a puppy. I am sure that the clicker training will get him more focused on you and less on outside.

My Casey is almost 1 and she can still be stubborn about coming in...but as soon as I say "WANT A COOKIE?" she about knocks me down to get in the door!

They do love it outside...maybe try a long walk as in 20-30 minutes of walking once a day...maybe then he will be too tired to protest coming in! I know he is young so long walks can be tiring for him...but perhaps a long slow walk will be okay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts