Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking for ideas on a better hairstyle for my standard poodle. Unfortunately, she does not have a curly coat. She is 20 months old, so I’m sure this is her adult coat. Her hair is wavy, it does not curl anywhere, and she will have mats within a week of visiting the groomer, especially on the top of her head, her neck, her chest, and her legs. Wait, that’s basically everywhere. Yep. So, I’m over trying to keep her mat free when it is truly impossible. I have been keeping her in a standard puppy cut, with clean feet and face and longer ears. I am open to any other ideas on styles that would be easier to maintain with a wavy coated standard that has mats from Hell. Yes she is registered, and no I don’t care if she isn’t perfect. She’s mine. And no I wouldn’t recommend the breeder at all.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I’ve never seen or heard of a wavy poodle so I have no idea what her coat feels like.

I suppose you brush her everyday and she still matts ?

One of my toys has thick hair and she matts easily and hates being brushed. So in the summer, apart from the clean face, feet and tail I usually do, I clip her coat as short as possible without exposing the skin (so she doesn’t get sunburnt).

That’s what I would do with your dog.

Do you have pictures ?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
I would go for a retriever cut, very much as Dechi describes - clean face and feet, about half an inch over the rest including head, ears and tail.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
How often do you have your pup groomed? My Pia has wavy hair, I bathe and blow dry( I use a HV dryer) every two weeks and right now she's roughly got a 1/2" of coat.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
One thing you could try is when you brush her out is to use plenty of a detangler. I use Cowboy Magic or ShowSheen because they are a decent price and really do help. Not only do they help get tangles out, they also coat the hair. There are plenty of higher end products like Ice on Ice, too. You will need to establish a routine of combing her down to the skin, at least once a week. Even with just a topknot, ears and tail kept long, you should be doing this. My daughter hates grooming, so this is the longest she keeps her dog's coat. I am, always "reminding" her to comb his minimal long parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
This is how I keep my boy.

IMG_1545.jpg

Right now his ears are a bit shorter as they were consistently falling into the water bowl., and I'm too lazy to pin them up. I brush and comb his ears and tops knot, and his feather of a tail. He has stayed mat free and I do use ice on ice when brushing. You could even go to the german ear . I've considered that but I do like the fluffiness of him. Note in this photo he was already ready for his next groom about a week away so he normally is a little shorter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts