Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Murphy to his first grooming appointment he was cut down very short. We stayed with him the whole time but now that we have gotten home the first day he was just acting plain weird. He was hiding in our closet and in our front dark bathroom. That night at about 3 am he started crying let me remind you he is fully potty trained and doesn’t go out in the night. So we got up took him out and he pottied and came in. We put him in is crate and he started crying again so we let him out and when we woke up... diarrhea everywhere in about 10 places he has only used the bathroom in the house a couple of times so we were very confused. That day he was just acting weird crying and sitting in his crate with the door open. He had bad diarrhea all day so we gave him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. He still was very sad and acting weird and his bottom was sore. After he ate the chicken and rice he was fine but then later he started acting weird again. Today he still has diarrhea and has been running around the house like crazy crying and acting weird. He doesn’t cry in is crate but since the grooming appointment he has cried and cried in his crate. I have no clue what is wrong with him but I am worried should I take him to the vet? Sorry for the long post but I needed to tell the whole story.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes, take him to the vet!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good luck tonight to you and poor Murphy. It sounds like he feels miserable.

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. Yes — vet for that much diarrhea. I would also ask the groomer what happened. Was Murphy stressed? Did they feed him anything? What was he like when you first picked him up? Does he have any visible injuries? Clipper burn/redness? Can you share a photo?

Peggy recently had an awful grooming experience, and the discomfort affected her for weeks:

Her paws were red and raw in some places. She was obviously itchy and sore and very on edge. All of her past grooming experiences were positive, so that helped her cope. But it was still very bad. I can imagine if that had been her first grooming experience, it would have been truly traumatic. And diarrhea can absolutely be triggered by emotional trauma in a poodle.

The only thing that soothed her was using her stretchy fleece like a thunder shirt. It calmed her right down, I think because the pressure distracted from the prickly sensations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Murphy wasn’t very stressed we stayed with him at all times. We explained to this groomer our concerns about his grooming experience before hand and he was very gracious and let us stay in the back with Murphy while they groomed him. Our groomer was extremely gentle and caring with Murphy and gave him lots of breaks. This is a small groomer so he was the only groomer there. Murphy doesn’t have any visible injuries and as I can see only a little redness on his bottom which we have been treating with a cream. When we left with him he seemed fine he pranced out of there with his fancy walk he seemed a little weirded out by not having all of his fur but he seemed okay. Until we got home and that’s when it all began. I have a picture of him the day we took him. He had chose to get in his crate and whimper which to tell y’all honestly he never gets in his crate unless it’s bed time or we are eating.
833582DE-37DC-47E1-A641-EC62EED5EE64.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
The diarrhea may be stress diarrhea, I'd be concerned that he'd been injured. A small nick or cut in a sensitive area might not have become painful til a bit of time passed. You said you were with him tho, so you'd surely have seen.
Definitely to the vet.
Is he drinking water? If not, you'll need to get him hydrated somehow asap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The diarrhea may be stress diarrhea, I'd be concerned that he'd been injured. Definitely to the vet.
Is he drinking water? If not, you'll need to get him hydrated somehow asap.
He was not wanting to drink but we have got him to by putting ice cubes in his bowl and he is eating very well. But we are still going to try to get him to the vet ASAP!

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
That crate behaviour is the sort of thing my old girl did when she was in extreme pain. She hid pain well for the most part, but when it got bad enough, she retreated as though she'd been beaten by us or something. It was really heartbreaking and those photos are having a similar effect on me. :( I hope tonight is uneventful and he's feeling better tomorrow.

Be sure to check between his toes and up close around his anus if you haven't already. And run your hands carefully all over his body. Maybe a comb, too. There could be something poking him.

A week after Peggy's groom, I found a sharp splinter in her rump. There was a bump, so I suspect it had been there for a while. But with normal petting, I'd never have felt it. That's just the nature of poodle coats. They can hide a lot!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I'd also get him to the vet. It may have nothing at all to do with his grooming session, especially since you were present the entire time. He may have gotten into something prior or just after. That much diarrhea is not normal so he should be examined. Also keep in mind that there are several Christmas plants that are toxic to pets, Holly berries, Poinsettia, mistletoe berries. That is always my main concern that they could have gotten into something they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That crate behaviour is the sort of thing my old girl did when she was in extreme pain. She hid pain well for the most part, but when it got bad enough, she retreated as though she'd been beaten by us or something. It was really heartbreaking and those photos are having a similar effect on me. :( I hope tonight is uneventful and he's feeling better tomorrow.

Be sure to check between his toes and up close around his anus if you haven't already. And run your hands carefully all over his body. Maybe a comb, too. There could be something poking him.

A week after Peggy's groom, I found a sharp splinter in her rump. There was a bump, so I suspect it had been there for a while. But with normal petting, I'd never have felt it. That's just the nature of poodle coats. They can hide a lot!
Yes we are scheduling a appointment today.he threw up twice last night. Thank you for all of your help again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd also get him to the vet. It may have nothing at all to do with his grooming session, especially since you were present the entire time. He may have gotten into something prior or just after. That much diarrhea is not normal so he should be examined. Also keep in mind that there are several Christmas plants that are toxic to pets, Holly berries, Poinsettia, mistletoe berries. That is always my main concern that they could have gotten into something they shouldn't have.
Yes I think that he might have gotten in to something because he threw up twice last night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Murphy has a vet appointment today I will update what they say! Thank you so much for all the help it is really nice to have a second opinion from people with poodles

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
You and Murphy are in our thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
Oh no. :( I'm sorry to hear he's now vomiting. I wonder if he ingested something at the groomer's. I hope it's not something that's on him, like a spray?

Good luck today. We'll be waiting to hear how his appointment goes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have been following this thread. I really hope everything is ok. Definitely want to hear how the vet appointment goes today.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We just got back from the vet they were not completely sure what was wrong so they did blood work and fecal testing all came back ok but he was dehydrated so the gave him an IV a shot and a one time pill they also sent home with us probiotics and pills for his stomach hopefully it will clear up now with all the medicine he is on! Thank y’all all for the concern and help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadly we found out that he has lost about 10-11 pounds so we are feeding him a lot more than usual trying to get him to gain it back.

·
Super Moderator
7,903 Posts
I hope his body's done ejecting whatever was troubling him. Poor boy. How old is he and how much does he weigh? Has he had other gastro issues?

It's just one of so many possibilities, but there are A LOT of potent chemicals floating around these days. When Peggy had a horrible bout of diarrhea (which persisted on and off for about a month) we initially suspected the various sanitizers our trainer was expected to use to keep her classes open during covid. There was also weed killer on the surrounding vegetation that someone had applied without alerting the other occupants of the building. Two other dogs in the class had similar symptoms.

Have you let your groomer know what's going on? I think it's a worth a call so he can let you know if other clients have gotten ill.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts