Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our poor girl, Tessa, came to us with awfully clogged and infected ears. :( The breeder and vet said it didn't look like they'd been tended to in a while. They both briefly mentioned that once the infection is gone, I'll need to pluck the hair from her ears regularly to keep them clean. Can someone explain what to use to do this and tell me, please, that it really won't hurt her. :confused: I also bought this special ear cleaner for when the infection is gone, and wondered how often do you find they need to be cleaned?

Also, how often do you trim your spoo's nails and does anyone have opinions on the Pedipaw thingy that grinds them down instead of clippers. Or if you recommend clippers, what sort do you find works best (the ones that look like garden shears, or the ones that work like a guillotine)?

Also, are there any other poodle specific grooming/health related things I should be doing on a regular basis. Is there a book anyone can recommend on this stuff?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Lots of info on here just start reading

ears I check about weekly. Clean as needed. Plucking some people do some people do when needed.

Pedipaws is a waste of money. Just get a cheap dremel from wal Mart instead. There's a great how to video a few posts down.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I only pluck ear hair when it gets so thick that it starts to collect ear wax. Other than that, I leave ears alone. I think it is a myth that Poodles get ear infections because they have hair in their ears. (Heck.... my husband has hair in his ears and he doesn't get ear infections!) I find that most yeast infections in ears are tied to food allergies.

Re dremel... Go to a hardware store and get a real dremel. That way you can do your Poodle's nails and household projects! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting! I actually bought a dremmel for my husband years ago that I think has been used only a handful of times. Now I've finally found a use for it! Off to check out that thread. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts