Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick, I need to choose between two clippers tonight!
An (apparently new) Oster Turbo A5 2 speed, includes one blade plus shears, $140 including shipping, but it's off Kijiji so I won't know for sure if it's as advertised.
A used Andis AG2 with two blades of unknown sharpness. I would be picking these up so I will know if they run nicely.
At work (vet clinic) I am used to using an Oster Golden A5. It sees hard use and has stood up well, a bit noisy but I am happy with it, so I am leaning towards the Oster since that is what I am familiar with.
What do you all say? I will be grooming just my own spoo, and I have metal Blade combs or whatever they are called for the longer cuts.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I have a Turbo 2 speed A5 Oster clipper and I am very pleased with it. Customer service is awesome. They refurbished the clippers and boy what a difference. They will also sharpen blades if you need that service.

For blades I have a 30 (face, feet, sanitary) ; a 10 for when I want FFT to be a bit longer ; a 5 for the body for winter and a 7 for body in summer and a toe blade. I find the blades much more useful than a 5-in-1 like the Bravura as it is very hard to find someone to service them, if not impossible. I found it easier and cheaper just to buy a new 5-1 blade when I had an Arco (essentially a Bravura by another name.

·
Registered
533 Posts
An (apparently new) Oster Turbo A5 2 speed, includes one blade plus shears, $140 including shipping, but it's off Kijiji so I won't know for sure if it's as advertised.
A used Andis AG2 with two blades of unknown sharpness. I would be picking these up so I will know if they run nicely.
At work (vet clinic) I am used to using an Oster Golden A5. It sees hard use and has stood up well, a bit noisy but I am happy with it, so I am leaning towards the Oster since that is what I am familiar with.
What do you all say? I will be grooming just my own spoo, and I have metal Blade combs or whatever they are called for the longer cuts.
I have the Andis 2 speed and to be honest I hardly use them. I actually forgot I had it until this post and I’m glad I have a second pair of clippers because I’ve misplaced my 5n1 wahl chromado ??‍♀. So today I’m blade shopping as I only have a 10blade. I don’t like them mainly because they get hot super fast. They do a better job of getting through horse hair than the wahl though.

For my 5n1 I just buy replacement blades..too much trouble to have them sharpened. That being said they last me awhile because I just have the two dogs.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You're in Canada, right? I'd look at Rens pets depot. Rens is by far the cheapest place I've seen for clippers, blades, shears, etc... They have a Turbo with 10 blade on sale right now for $160, free shipping... I have a 20 yr old single speed Oster Golden A5, and had it repaired, but if it breaks again I'm planning on getting an Andis, which is what Annie's breeder, who is a groomer, recommended. Apparently they are quieter/less hot/lighter weight than the Osters. I have a Bravura as well, but the motor's not strong enough to cut Annie's coat well, though it's wonderful for her face/feet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You might want to check out Petedge. They often have clippers on sale. Here is an Andis brand new for $175, free shipping

For $35 more than what you were looking at you get to pick your color, get the warranty, no germ worries. Not bad! I managed to scoop up an Andis Endurance from Petedge for about $120 a few months ago, now they are selling it for $220.

What I look for in a clipper: lightweight, changeable blades that can be sharpened (reduce, reuse, recycle!), a popular brand name that has stood the test of time, and I tried to avoid clippers known for getting exceptionally hot.

Two important things I've learned about clippers: you need to oil the blades at least once every time you use them, and the wider the space between the clipper teeth the most risk to your dog of being cut. Novice's like me should probably stick to 10 blades and higher, and use metal clipper combs.

I hope this was helpful. Please post what clipper you get and what you see as the pros/cons.

Oh, and one last tip: don't buy ceramic blades. Metal is what you need.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you thank you! Yes I'm in Canada, which makes it difficult as many of the links and recommendations are not available here. And yes, having the warranty is definitely worth paying a little more!
I do have the metal clipper combs, as I want to keep him pretty long for now, and until I build up a stash of blades. At work I use 40 and 10, and have used 4F. I know I will want a 4F and either a 15 or a 30 to add to the 10 that it comes with.
For Want of a Poodle, thanks for recommending I check Ren's. I didn't know where to look other than Amazon.
Of course, now I have a new decision: 1 speed Oster Turbo, or KM2.
I think I'm going with the Oster though since I know it's tough and I already do maintenance on that exact model at work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts