Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am jumping the gun a bit here, since "technically" we have not yet been approved for the rescue poodle we are seeking to adopt, but I've been thinking of possible names, and I'm having a hard time. Anyone care to offer any suggestions? He is a large (70 lb!) white standard poodle. My current poodle is a red female, and her name is Cricket. My 7 yo son suggested we call him Dragonfly or Dragon for short, because our pet name "theme" seems to be insects! LOL! We also have 2 hamsters named Spider and Butterfly......Cheesy I know! LOL!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Dragonfly is awesome! And I adore your theme! Lets see if I can't help find some bug names ^^

Firefly
Weevil
Cicada
Mantis
Apollo (type of butterfly)
Bumblebee
Honeybee
Sawfly
Slug (lol totally kdiding)
Mayfly
Morio (butterfly)
Satyr (butterfly)
Aphid

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm not being critical, but I would wait until he's with you, just because he will tell you what his name should be. :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I love themes!!
Mine is Wicked xDD
I'm hoping for a boy standard nexxt fall so I can name him Fiyero xDDD
or a girl will work and her name will be Nessarose or Galinda
((Elphaba is the name of my poodle now :D ))

Thats a great list Fluffyspoo came up with ^_^

-fingers crossed- I hope you get approved as a home!!!

I found this list of bugs
http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/bugindx.htm

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oooh, Fiyero is a nice name! A girl at my work gave her hairless chinese crested that name! All my pets from now on are going to be themed famous cities ^^ our new kitten's name is Oslo, I won't spill the beans on the names I've picked for my standard ;D.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I like themes myself and I think as long as you have a good list I am sure you will be able to match it up. I really like half of what Fluffyspoos recommended as well as one of Keiths. Nature and insects I love it! Right now mine all have 4 letters no real big theme it kind of worked out that way:) Good luck and you never know what could happen because the approval is not final....so keep your chin up no matter what and you will get your spoo!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've always liked the name Nomad for a poodle for some reason..oddly enough it's also a type of bee!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it!! The rescue we are working with sounds interested in us as a potential home, they just need to finish calling all the references on our application and we need to set up the home visit, etc. Fingers crossed that we get chosen! I love all the suggestions.....especially Firefly, Mantis and Gnat! That's a funny one! Dragonfly is still on the list too--it's growing on me! LOL!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! I have a bit of an update...a friend of mine called me the other day, and told me about her co-worker that needs to rehome her standard poodle! She thought of me of course, and we have been talking back and forth via email about her poodle, and we are going to meet her hopefully this week! She is a bit older--8 years, but she is in good health, and comes from a home with children and another dog! She is already spayed, housetrained, knows basic commands, good with grooming, and it UTD on her shots. In her pictures, she appears to be on the petite side--she is a little over 40 lbs--like my Cricket. Her owner calls her white, but she appears to be more cream to me. Her name is Star. We will probably keep her name if we take her, since she has been called that for 8 years already, and I like the name. Hopefully, the meeting goes well, and they let us adopt her. I'm feeling pretty hopeful. So it seems I won't have to come up with a new name after all! As far as the male rescue poodle that we applied for, we really haven't heard too much from the rescue. They basically just said that they got alot of apps for him, and that they just needed to go through them and pick the best home for him. If we get this female poodle, we will have to call them I guess, and let them know we already adopted one. So that's the update! Wish me luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
GOOD LUCK!! And bless you for considering a mature dog! Sounds like she'll be a nice fit for your household - it's great when they come with tons of information from previous owners so you don't have to "reinvent the wheel". Keep us updated!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts