Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. Hello everyone. I was given a mini poodle for my birthday just last week. I am trying to potty train her, she is 10 weeks old. And well I am feeling like frustrated, like a failure. My puppy has diarrhea and to top things off, I take her outside to go potty and she will pee out there but as soon as I bring her in she looks for a spot on my carpet to poop. Why? I started keeping her in the bathroom at nite with wee pads because when I wake up there is poop and pee everywhere. Now its just in the bathroom. So, first of all should I give her something for the diarrhea? or will it just pass by itself? (and hopefully soon) and any suggestions on training her to go outside and not on my carpet. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Now as for your puppy...has there been any sudden change in diet? What are you currently feeding her? Also, is there any chance she might have eaten something she wasn't supposed to? If her kibble was suddenly changed that might be the cause of the diarrhea. Which is why you should transition slowly, adding a little bit of the new kibble at a time and slowly work your way to larger and larger amounts until she is completely switched over.

Your puppy is only 10 weeks old. She is still a baby. Not only is she not going to completely understand what you are trying to teach her, but she also has a small bladder and needs to go out more frequently. If you want to limit the damage to your carpet, I say crate train her, or limit her to one area of the house until she is fully housebroken. There are some great articles and books on potty training and crate training out there. I can give you some links after I've fished them out. Oh, also, I would invest in a cleaner that is meant to remove any odor left behind by an accident. Dogs have an amazing sense of smell and if the smell is still there she might think it's okay to go in that spot again. Just be patient. Poodles are smart and catch on quickly, but you can't expect a baby to know how to walk and talk without some practice and consistency.

http://www.siriusweb.com/AAD/crate.html#posassoc

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lola - you may also want to try this trick:

Rice Water Recipe to Control Diarrhea

3 cups water (instead of 2)
1 cup regular enriched white rice

Bring water to boil.
Add rice and simmer for 15 minutes (instead of 20).
Pour off the water into an appropriate container.

Discard the rice solids, or use as filler in your favorite non-medical recipe.
The consistency reminds me of sticky-rice at Chinese restaurants.

The key seems to be the ratio of 3 to 1, water to rice. We use a large 8-quart dutch oven, 9 cups of water and 3 cups of rice. When we pour off the water, we have about 3 1/2 cups of rice water.

Try maybe 1/4 cup for small breeds, and 1/2 cup for large breeds.

This also works wonders for humans... my Mom SWEARS by this and always gave it to us when we had sick tummies. I still use this recipe to this day...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thank you all for your quick responses. And I think I did a booboo because I switched her food from when i got her to a better premium food. Now I'm wondering is it too late to mix her food with the old food they were giving her to stop the diarrea. I have 4 days giving her the new food. She was on purina puppy chow and now I have her on Nutro puppy premium. I guess my question is should I switch her back to her old food and mix small amounts of the new? Also, will the pumpkin work? I dont have a crate at this time for her. Thinking of going to buy one. I dont have a room I can confine her into right now. Thank you for the link I will check this out. Any idea how soon she eats she should be able to go outside for potty? Oh and I dont really measure how much but I would say about 1/2 cup... give or take a little twice per day.

·
Registered
546 Posts
hey Lola.. have you owned a dog before?

Did you know you were getting a poodle as a birthday gift? sometimes it's better to be prepared vs. surprised...

imagine getting a newborn baby as a gift? yikes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaah yes it was a surprise gift... :flute: and I owned a dog as a teenager lol, long long ago in a far away land lol anyway, yes I was quite surprised. My daughter said if I cant keep her to give to her but I am trying to keep her she is sooo cute.... just all the dirty cleaning I can do with out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lola....

Start here: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bring01.html

Also, do your research - pick up books, research online.. do whatever you need to in order to educate yourself about owning a pet. Signing on to PF is a great idea! But you need to do the work to learn the essentials rather than having all the "answers" written out for you. That's like cheating on a test. You need to study it all, and know it.

Maybe drop into Petsmart or Petco or a similar facility - they often have training classes and can offer you helpful tips. Maybe there is a boarding/grooming facility that offers something similar

Did the dog come from a breeder? SPEAK WITH THE BREEDER! Learn what you need to know. If the dog did come from a breeder, I'm surprised they let it go as a gift. The SPCA doesn't even let you adopt if the pet is intended as a gift.

You need loads of patience and time in order to raise a puppy.. it's a full time job. Get yourself in the mindset that you are now a mom.

You can't expect a 10 week old puppy to know where to potty. Equate everything to having a newborn child. It's good reference.
Repetition will help your pup start to clue in. And positive reinforcement as well. Have certain "key words" that will familiarize your pup with their actions. IE/"potty" meaning the obvious..

Will the pumpkin work?.. it's trial and error. It takes time to figure out what works for you and your pup. There are no steadfast rules.

"I dont have a crate at this time for her. Thinking of going to buy one. I dont have a room I can confine her into right now. Thank you for the link I will check this out. Any idea how soon she eats she should be able to go outside for potty? Oh and I dont really measure how much but I would say about 1/2 cup... give or take a little twice per day."If you are going to keep her in the bathroom overnight, be sure she has a little bed to sleep on.. this is like having a warm fuzzy. You can use this to transition her to a crate. Hopefully she is not being put in the bathroom, as an "out of sight, out of mind" strategy.. or "sweeping under the carpet". "Thinking of going to buy" a crate doesn't cut it. You need all the proper tools to raise a puppy. I had a crate for Snoops, tho I opted not to use it. If it's a matter of finance then:

1. Can you afford to raise a puppy? And even if funds are tight, are you willing to dedicate an allowance to raising this pet? Have you thought of vet bills, etc?
2. Target has collapsible crates for under $20.. or check craigslist for a used one

Measure out the food that you are giving your pet. That way you can be more accurate and sure about feeding - how much she needs to eat, etc.. You will start to notice a pattern as to how much your pup needs to eat and how often she needs to eat, in order to have a satisfied tummy and without compromising her growth and development.

Getting a pup ... especially a poodle! as a gift sounds totally rad. But, it really bums me out when it's such a surprise and there is no prep involved. Poodles are living, breathing beings... a friend, companion, family member and should be treated seriously! The novelty shouldn't wear off... that element of excitement should always be there - not just when you take the wrapping off the package.

I'm glad that you are trying your best and I hope that you are able to stick with it. Good luck to you and your little one!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I`m thinking we should put together a "New Poodle Owner" sticky thread, and have links to related threads for "newborns"... Food, Grooming, Pooping, etc that would really help out.

Anyone want to volunteer to do the research (for the other threads here?)

-Todd

·
Registered
546 Posts
I`m thinking we should put together a "New Poodle Owner" sticky thread, and have links to related threads for "newborns"... Food, Grooming, Pooping, etc that would really help out.

Anyone want to volunteer to do the research (for the other threads here?)

-Todd
Todd - I agree! I notice there are several common repeat questions and it would be really handy to have the answers available in one area.
We all know that I am more than guilty for being repetitious myself!!! :heh:

I am willing to do some of the research. How do we kick it off?
Kicked Off Here --- > http://poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=2359
What are our Top 20 repeat questions for each heading?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thank you for your words of wisdom. I do have a very nice bed for her. I bought it the day I got her. Went to pet store and bought what I thought was needed, no 1 being her bed. Lol a princess bed no doubt. She has some toys, her food, bowls, shampoo etc. When I put her in the bathroom at night I surround her in wee pads and put her bed in a corner. Sounds kinda like the crate idea. When she was bought the breeder had her in a crate. And I dont think she knew it was a gift my daughter prolly just bought her, I dont know for sure. She actually bought two one for me and one for her. So she has a crate for her poodle, Bella, and says she is doing very well in potty training where Lola is not. This is why I wanted to know about the crate training, which I have read the link and think I shall try that also. The dog trainer at Petco is the one who gave me the bathroom idea but, if anyone has to get up to use it at night, we have to make sure our eyes are wide open and make sure we dont step in anything, which is why I think I will try the crate training instead. So I want to go back on one thing... the food... should I give her the purina puppy chow mixed in with the premium food to see if this will stop her diarreah, or should i just continue with the new food and hope the diarrea is soon to go away since she has been with the new food for 4 days, the mistake I made? was not mixing them both slowly to introduce to her the new food. I just switched. So.... thank you for your help, once again.:curl-lip:

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's been 4 days, and putting her back on the old stuff might cause even more confusion for her tummy, so I would say just stick it through, her tummy should settle in a few more days on the new stuff. Also, I've heard that some plain yogurt with live cultures(make sure it says live cultures or probiotic) mixed in with her food will help. Just a spoonful with each meal.

Also, does your daughter live close by? Since her pup is doing so well maybe she can give you some pointers? Once the diarrhea passes and you get a crate maybe have her come over and tell you how she works with her pup, and the system that seems to be working with her.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with Aki. At this point, keep feeding her the dog food you bought her. Potty training will be a lot easier if you have a routine. Feed at regular intervals. Most puppies should eat 3 times a day until they are at least 6 months old. I would even suggest eating every 4 hours. After eating, take her outside to let her go to the bathroom. I wouldn't encourage exhaustive play because some poodles are likely to experience bloat after eating. This can kill a poodle if you are not careful. Standard poodles are more prone to this, but all poodles get their genes from the Standard.

Don't free feed, meaning having food available at all times. You won't be able to get an eating/bathroom routine established if you do. Only leave food available for about 20 minutes then take it up. If she skips a meal and gets hungry before her next meal time, I would give her another 20 minute chance to eat. Puppies need to keep their blood sugar steady as they are growing so fast. It takes a lot of energy to get through the day.

It sounds like you are taking the right steps to learn how to take care of her. Poodles are very social and need to be included. I hope this helps.

PS....I didn't realize I added the emoticon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks once again for the tips. I kinda thought that myself, waiting it out since I already switched her food. She did better today as far as potty. I went and bought the crate also and have read up on how that works. My daughter does live near by so she has been helping me on how she has done things that work and those that dont. I just hope Im on the right track.. do you think she should be potty trained withing 2 weeks or does it take longer? I have read different things on different sites. probably depends on the dog i guess. thank you everyone for all your good ideas!

·
Registered
646 Posts
did you get her a really small crate so that all she can do is turn around and lay down?
For crates to work they must not have room to pee in one corner and sleep in the other.
I used a bigger one and just cut a pc of wood to fit then zip tied it through drilled holes in the wood to the slats of the crate moving it back weekly as needed for puppy growth.

Some pups will learn if their is a blanket in it they can piddle on the blanket and move the blanket and still be dry and comfortable and NEVER put a pee pad in the crate.
She is young so I would not expect her to go longer then 2-3 hours during day in her crate at night sometimes most can go with just one potty break. Don't play or anything just let her out piddle treat and right back in crate at night.

During day you know most go 20-30 min after eat or drink so if you feed her then snuggle then take her out to potty if she goes great if not put her in crate and let her have a good bone or fav toy for only crate time. in 15 min try again to potty if still nothing then back in crate for another bit untill she goes outside.
Then you can party and play.
Pups alwasy go potty upon waking so take her out of crate and carry her if you can for now to the door. Some can't make it from crate to door and most pups wont' pee when being carried.

It will come with time and patience. ( lots of patience)
Never get upset over an old accident that you find even if 5 min ago you gotta catch them in the act or just clean it up and move on.
if your finding accidents then she is getting to much time alone she should nt be out of your site when not crated at this time so if your making dinnerm showering, laundry whatever crate her till she has your undevided attention.

Good luck to you and where are the pics? I love puppy pics

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the Forum first off. Owning a new puppy is a big job. Especially when as a surprise you are overwhelmed and things. For the upset tummy you can buy either some expensive food to mix in to help her digest her food better or mix her dry food in with low fat vanilla yogurt. Yogurt has the cultures and bacteria needed to help the stomach digest as well as settle. You should notice a differance really quick. I always use this for my newborn puppies and they love it. But she still may have some loose stools for a little while until things just run there course.

Also, as far as potty training, you should be probably taking her out every 15 to 20 minutes or anytime after she eats or wakes up, even if she is just waking up from a small nap. If she goes inside tell her NO and take her out. She will learn quick. Keep her out until she is done sniffing. Maybe even running around and playing with her for a couple minutes out there will helps things run their course.

Good luck with the new baby!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics are up!

I have put up a few pics of Lola. Also today we are off to the vet. Cant seem to shake the diarrhea and its been to long I think. So I am taking her in for a check up and to see if they can give her and me both a relief on the diarrhea. Hope its nothing serious.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm sorry Lola isn't getting better.

I think it's a good idea to take her to the vet, because it may be something serious like parasites. I hope it isn't though!

Good luck at the vets, I hope she gets better.

She is adorable!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Omg it was parasites and the doc said really bad. But didnt make it sound very serious, maybe didnt want me to get upset. Gave her two shots and put her on three meds. She seems alot better today Saturday. I'm so glad I took her because I didnt know I thought it was just from the food. So hopefully she will be alot better now.:drool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts