Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, last time i asked for help on this forum was six months ago asking on poodle puppies and when to pay deposits... now our toy poodle puppy is coming home next week !!

i am beyond excited (and also nervous) to be bringing her home! due to Corona, we haven’t been able to visit but the breeder has been keeping us updated with weekly videos and pictures. everything was great until the most recent photo.

she seems to have dark lines from her eyes ?? they seem to be tear stains but i thought only white dogs got tear stains, not apricots. they’re so dark too...

i don’t mind if they are tear stains, i’m perfectly happy with a healthy puppy but i’m just so perplexed by what they could be.

also, she seems to be slightly bigger than how i imagined a toy poodle puppy to be 😳😳
perhaps it’s because we haven’t seen any photos or videos of people actually holding her...

please give thoughts :)

also, do you think Juniper is too long of a name? i read that names should be kept to 2 syllables

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
All poodle colors can have tear stains not just white, as for size first how old is the puppy, that matters.
As for how many syllables in a name, well one of my poodle is named Beatrice soooo I don't think that matters and your pup is cute

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Congratulations on choosing your puppy! What a little doll. :)

Do you have some more photos? In this one, the way she's positioned in front of the human could be creating a trick of perspective, making her look much bigger than she is.

How old is she? How much does she currently weigh?

Any colour poodle can have issues with tearing eyes, though you're right that it will show up more on lighter hair. Keep in mind that your girl might lighten dramatically as her coat "clears" (i.e. fades with age). What colour are her parents?

I'm still very new to the wonders of poodle colours, but perhaps some others could chime in.

As for her name, I think Juniper is very cute, but would likely be shortened to something like Junie for everyday use. Peggy is actually "Peggy Sue," but we rarely call her that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first how old is the puppy
she’s 8 weeks in that photo
we were actually considering Beatrice and shortening it to Bea !! what are the chances

What colour are her parents?
they’re dark apricot (mum) and red (dad)
i’m not sure how much she weighs,,

i’m just worried as in the previous videos, she had a clear face,, the tear stains seemed to happen in a weeks time ://

that’s her at 6 weeks, the images are blurry as they were screenshots from a video.

how can i get rid of tear stains or is it something that might be a puppyhood thing ?

·
Super Moderator
2,036 Posts
Tear stains can happen on any color. You just don't see them easily on a dark colored dog; the stains blend in if the hair is darker than the stain.

My standard puppy Galen was a bit over 6 pounds when we got him as a 7 1/2 week puppy. (We brought him home earlier than normal due to impending Covid quarantines.)

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Peggy's eyes were a mess for much of puppyhood. We cleared the goop daily with clean fingers, and used a warm cloth when necessary. We also tracked everything she ate and all products used on or around her, and eliminated possible allergens.

They've been fine for months now (she's now 17 months old), but we do still remove all crusties by hand every day.

If you're worried about your puppy's health, speak to her breeder. Ask about the tear stains and if the rest of the litter have them. If they don't, I'd be probably be more concerned about something like infection.

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
305 Posts
Do not, worry tear stains are most poodles, it is just harder to see on darker colours. They have probaly not been cleaned by the breeder so they have built up.
Poodle tear stains

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sammy came home from the breeder with no tear stains. He was 12 weeks old and it was early April. Mid June, he started to develop tear stains ( I think from being outside ). I have battled tear stains since. I have noticed they are decreasing, as we are not spending as much time outside, so allergies?

He is a white poodle. The staining gets so much worse when he romps/plays with another dog, is left alone for a bit ( crying?) or does anything "doggie". I

I have found that wiping his eyes 3 times daily with very warm water and then making sure they are dry helps alot.

Your puppy is adorable! And, I don't think the tear stains are bad at all ( at least in the photos). My Sammy has really bad stains. Wish he didn't, but wouldn't trade him for anything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looking at the picture, the puppy does look over sized. It could be the camera angle. It could be that the pup is bigger. Would a toy that is larger be something you do not want to compromise on?

Reviewing the pics, your adorable puppy looks sturdy. Is there a mini in the immediate pedigree? Toys are typically more fine boned.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah, tear stains are pretty normal and can show up at anytime. It looks like she's s t r e t c h i n g out her legs, making herself look bigger than she actually is in that picture. Fluffy likes to do that. I think he thinks it makes him look tall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Lili had tear stains. She's one now and they have gotten much better. We changed her food from Acana small breed puppy to N&D lamb, blueberry and pumpkin kibble. Not sure if chicken was the culprit, teething, or if the blueberry helped in her new food. You can kind of see the tear stains in the photo where she's wrapped like a burrito. Her eyes are great now though. We use to clean her eyes three times a day, but now we only do it once a day before bed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Looks like minor tear staining to me, too - quite probably something that will improve with age. And I think the pup (who is absolutely adorable, by the way, and very nicely groomed) looks large because of the way she is being held - if you look at her in relation to the size of the hands holding her she is still very small. I actually prefer larger toys in any case - more robust, more able to keep up with you in every day life, but still easily lifted with one hand! I would not worry - just carry on being excited and puppy proofing your house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you so much for all the replies :)
it was just a minor thought that kept me awake and i couldn’t exactly ask the breeder as when i made this post it was midnight hehe.
it doesn’t matter what size she is as she will be loved as a pet, not for show (maybe one day in my dreams i will show poodles)

anyhow i feel so much better knowing this that these are just tear stains. thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Naturally puppies can outgrow their parents size. But if her parents are KC reg toys I think its highly unlikely that she will be huge like 35 or 40cm. She might be 28cm or 30cm from feet to whithers rather than the below 27cm which the FCI standard calls for but unless you are showing thats fine.

Do you know how big the parents are?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Awww! Adorable pup with an adorable name:) Many of us also have many nicknames for our dogs as well as their given name.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts