Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy gets sooo matted and the groomer said his hair is just so fine. I've been using this spray:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00II6XPOQ/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_0_4?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00II6XPOQ&pd_rd_r=1V07XASQEF81G4GGV3KQ&pd_rd_w=I7Ed0&pd_rd_wg=N24ue&pf_rd_i=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2b681d77-9d7c-4b63-92c4-00da29e71f70&pf_rd_r=1V07XASQEF81G4GGV3KQ&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=1V07XASQEF81G4GGV3KQ

But I don't think it's doing a great job honestly (and I'm afraid that the sunscreen in it is actually creating a build-up making it harder as the weeks go by).

Do you have a brushing spray that you swear by for making brushing fine hair easier?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I use crown royal #3. If a dog is matting then I would be trying to bath it more often every week ideally, every other week. But that also involved making sure you blow dry it well and get ALL the tangles out (brush then use a metal comb, line comb down to the skin) or you'll tighten what matts you have. A dirty coat and a curly coat will matt more quickly.
If you can't keep up with it a shorter haircut may be needed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use crown royal #3. If a dog is matting then I would be trying to bath it more often every week ideally, every other week. But that also involved making sure you blow dry it well and get ALL the tangles out (brush then use a metal comb, line comb down to the skin) or you'll tighten what matts you have. A dirty coat and a curly coat will matt more quickly.
He's not really curly at all. But he's not quite 9.5 months old. Will that happen as he gets older?

He was pretty good until the 4 week mark after grooming. But the groomer couldn't come until the 6 week mark (she was getting a new mobile van). Going forward we will do every 4 weeks.

I've never actually given him a bath (kind of scared!!) He's so cute in a longer haircut, but I totally understand. I figure I'll try one more month with a new (hopefully much better spray) and every four week haircut and then re-evaluate. We brush him every night, but we haven't been using the comb to get down to the skin, but we will do that every day going forward per the groomer. This was only his second groom with us as we got him only two months ago.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You are in the midst of coat change, when his puppy coat is changing to the adult coat. Because they don't actually shed their coat the old coat intertwines with the new coat and mats in the blink of an eye. If you intend to keep a long coat you would do well to look up a youtube video on "line brushing" a poodle. That video will show you how do do it. As was said before, you brush then comb to the skin with a metal comb.

As his coat changes he will get more curly and get more "body" to his coat.

When Poppy went through coat change I had her coat cut very short, except for ears, topknot and tail. This made it all more manageable and more comfortable for her. The worst was matting on the ears. Work dry cornstarch into a mat with your fingers and slowly comb it out. Or get Cowboy Magic Detangler in a tube ( a horse product ) and work it into the mats and comb out. The more comfortable you can make this time for your baby the better off you both are.

Be brave and get a good professional shampoo, I like Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo, and learn to bathe your boy. It is a very concentrated shampoo that you dilute A LOT, with water before you use it.

It is a good bonding time and you will be bathing your poodle many times during his life. Keeping his coat clean will help you to also keep it more matt free. I put a hand held shower on my shower instead of the regular shower head and it works great for bathing Poppy. She loves a good bath. Above all, enjoy your pup!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are in the midst of coat change, when his puppy coat is changing to the adult coat. Because they don't actually shed their coat the old coat intertwines with the new coat and mats in the blink of an eye. If you intend to keep a long coat you would do well to look up a youtube video on "line brushing" a poodle. That video will show you how do do it. As was said before, you brush then comb to the skin with a metal comb.

As his coat changes he will get more curly and get more "body" to his coat.

When Poppy went through coat change I had her coat cut very short, except for ears, topknot and tail. This made it all more manageable and more comfortable for her. The worst was matting on the ears. Work dry cornstarch into a mat with your fingers and slowly comb it out. Or get Cowboy Magic Detangler in a tube ( a horse product ) and work it into the mats and comb out. The more comfortable you can make this time for your baby the better off you both are.

Be brave and get a good professional shampoo, I like Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo, and learn to bathe your boy. It is a very concentrated shampoo that you dilute A LOT, with water before you use it.

It is a good bonding time and you will be bathing your poodle many times during his life. Keeping his coat clean will help you to also keep it more matt free. I put a hand held shower on my shower instead of the regular shower head and it works great for bathing Poppy. She loves a good bath. Above all, enjoy your pup!
I do have a couple highly recommended shampoos and conditioners. I'm just nervous! But I had also read that it wasn't great to wash them too often. He isn't a "dirty" dog (he hates walking) so I thought a bath every four weeks or so was normal!

I think I'm more nervous about the blow drying! I only have a regular (professional) blow dryer that I use on myself and was told I could use on him.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the spray you use?
https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Royale-Magic-Grooming-Concentrate/dp/B003C1STP2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536116164&sr=8-3&keywords=crown+royal+spray&dpID=41WF3TYHWhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Do you have a bottle you recommend to use for spraying on the coat?

There's also this one which is pre-mixed (not concentrate):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C1MCIW/ref=psdc_3024230011_t3_B003C1STP2

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I use the first one, I've never used the second one. I like this type of spray bottle as it makes a fine mist
https://canadiangroomingdistributor.com/products/flairosol-continuous-spray-bottle

Show dogs get bathed weekly (or even more often) as long as you're using good quality shampoos that agrees with his skin (I don't even use conditioner on my show dog except his 10+inch topknot hair) and you rinse well there is no issue with frequent bathing UNLESS you aren't getting all tangles brushed out afterwards (wetting tangles then having them dry tightens them)

·
Registered
912 Posts
It would be good for your dog to be accustomed to you bathing. If you had a ‘grooming emergency’ . . . mud puddle, or something more interesting. You could start small, just the leggs, and work your way up.

I use a human hair dryer on my non-spoo. She’s afraid of loud noises and I didn’t even want to go there with the poodle dryer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve been using the crown royal 3 concentrate (mixed with water in a fine mist spray bottle) and I like it a lot. I find the smell nice enough and it definitely helps with the brushing.

I really think the ice on ice with sunscreen is a weird combo! But now that we use the comb all over after brushing it’s doing the trick! So maybe that spray wasn’t the issue but just that we didn’t comb him through after brushing.

I will admit it takes two of us to work him because he is sensitive and tries to bite. My husband is much gentler with the comb than I am and seems to bother Ollie a lot less. We have a CC comb but I’m wondering if there’s a softer / gentler comb? The ends of it do feel a bit sharp so I can see why he doesn’t love it.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Finally ordered my first bottle of Crown Royal #3, and it came this week - thanks for your post MysticRealm, because I've long thought about it, but had not taken action yet. I can't wait to use it, and also ordered a Flairosol bottle as well :)!

Love my Best Shot Ultra Plenish and Coat Handler conditioners, Just Divine and Stazko, but so excited to try the Crown Royal.

LOL, at work, I fairly softly exclaimed my joy at receiving the Crown Royal, and cubicle neighbors, whose ears are always apparently attuned to others nearby, also got excited I ordered Crown Royal. Comments burst from them! Then I suddenly remembered there might be a whiskey or whisky with that name, and walked the bottle over to show them. Said they should know me better than that. (Yes, I do enjoy my vino, but were I to order and receive liquor at the workplace, surely would not advertise it in that conservative place LOL.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts