Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a vaccine available yet? I think it is because we are all getting old in my household - the cats are 17, both dogs 11 and Poppy not well, although Sophy seems absolutely fit thank heavens, and I am aware that in my late 60s there won't be that many more puppies in my future. It is not a sensible time, even taking Covid out of the equation - although I would very much like Sophy's help raising the next baby I am not going to stress Poppy by bringing one home yet. And I know a young adult, or even an older dog, would be much more sensible, but I yearn for the instant burst of oxytocin and bonding a baby brings. I am reading all the puppy-from-hell and adolescent blues threads on PF, and even those are not enough to put me off. I veer between a black miniature poodle to be called Violetta ("Hear my song...") or a red and white papillon to be called Phoebe, and only my rational self is preventing me emailing all the breeders I know of to ask what their plans are over the next 12 months or so.

HELP - I think I may be getting to the critical stage!

·
Registered
959 Posts
A year ago at this time, we had a 17-year-old tabby and a 14-year-old Aussie Terrier. We lost them both in a matter of months and I started a puppy search. It was the only way to deal with the grief.

We lucked out and found a puppy in December. It would have been a bleak Christmas otherwise.

Getting the puppy after we'd lost the others got us through bad times. I'd recommend waiting if you can.
Caring for a terminally ill pet is time demanding, and later the puppy can then have your full attention and bring joy back into your life.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
fjm, I fight off puppy fever from time to time but with Bea's cancer, Gracie being 15 yr and Walter's megacolon I have to much on the plate but I still yearn for a new little buddy it's nice to know I am not the only one.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it may be the only thing that makes anticipating grief bearable, Twyla. And getting older doesn't help - the next pup may be with me well into my 80s. But then I look at my friends and acquaintances who are well past that milestone and who are still active and getting up and out because their dogs need them, and think perhaps I still have time!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have it too. I keep thinking about the pros and cons and can never seem to come to a decision. Which leaves me in permanent puppy fever mode with no resolution.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Same boat here 😩. I myself go between a lovely blue mini poodle named Pollyanna (after my favorite song ever) or a nice black German show line German Shepherd named Diogee. It’s easier to say no to the Shepherd—I convince myself I’m not ready to train one yet—but the mini... That’s hard! 🤣 What I do is come up with a costs sheet and remind myself that no way can I afford a third dog and take good care of the ones I already have. Then I do a time estimate—can I really potty train, and work, and groom out another poodle, and do school, and, and, and... Nope. Not to mention, I don’t think Fluffy would appreciate me bringing another dog into the house yet! We’ve still got a long way to go.

Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
23,624 Posts
Lily and Peeves will both turn 12 in the fall. Lily still totally acts like a 2 year old and with the exception of her dental work in May is fit as a fiddle. Being an 11 year old GSD has Peeves showing some wear and tear. He has protstatitis which sometimes make him dribble, but since we have floors, not carpets that is not the worst thing in the world. I sometimes think a pup would be nicely timed since I am still and still will be working from home, but I don't think Peeves would appreciate a puppy. I know Lily would spend a good amount of time wishing that the puppy would evaoprate out of existence. And honestly I am not sure at all what Javelin would think. I wouldn't know whether to get a dog or a bitch. I think Lily would still just not tolerate another female but since our two males also don't have a lot of affection for each other I also would hesitate to get another boy just now. At least one of our current three dogs will have to cross the bridge. I suspect Peeves will be first, so then we have the dilemma of GSD vs. spoo as another wrench in the works.

I totally get the puppy fever feeling though. A friend of mine who has always had spoos got a puppy last summer. She comes to my novice class so I get the young dog fix from Willow each week. Last summer she did CGC training and the title with me and another friend with a Wheaten pup. Today another local friend came for the first time to novice with her 8 month old Dalmation (her breeding) since she is worried he is going to go over height before he can get a conformation title with him she has decided to start his obedience work. Those youngsters do inoculate me against bringing home a puppy out of the blue.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I spent Gracie's last five years deep in the throes of puppy fever. Forgive my mixed metaphors, but I still sometimes wish I'd pulled the trigger, simply so I could see some little glimpses of Gracie in our current dog. It would've been nice if she'd been part of the puppy-raising experience.

But.....she'd have hated it. I know that without a doubt. And I'm glad I didn't interfere with our bond during those golden (and sometimes very hard) times.

Others have a different experience, though, where interacting with a puppy sparks something bright and new in their senior. That sounds like a very precious thing, too.

Sorry there are no perfect answers. :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I feel like I'd rather get a second dog when Misha's five or six than when he's a senior. I think senior dogs just don't appreciate having puppies around and I think it's sad if their last years with their human are spent being annoyed at the new bundle of energy. But it depends on the dog for sure. If they have the time to get to know the puppy and teach him/her good manners then it is good. If Poppy's years may be limited and Sophie is doing fine, then perhaps there will be a good time to add a puppy in between. I think if you are evenly split between the breeds, it might be good to consider which Sophie might do best with.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
My breeder said “when your poodle is ten, you should start thinking about getting another.” Think being the operative word! Still, such a wonderful prospect to consider - a new puppy! We all need things to look forward to these days. The Coronavirus has slowed my timelines and expectations down considerably. I would love to dream about getting a puppy, but we’re a one dog family. Going to cheer for any new puppy or new dog contemplated. Joy can be shared:)

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I can’t help you much. I often think I’d like a third dog. The only thing stopping me (besides my allergies), is money. It’s expensive when you give the best care possible for your pets (as I know you do).

So I say if you think the timing is right for everyone, go for it ! Dogs make our lives so much better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the same temptation this week but with gerbils. I love small animals and we recently got two gerbils. I found out this week that their brothers still hadn't been adopted so it was rather tempting... But then I had to stop myself and think about the time we are dedicating to taming them each individually and how hard it would be if there were 4 of them as well as the risk of declanning.

It was hard to be sensible when picking the pets. Lots of rodents are very social and need a lot of space and I vetoed a lot of species because I knew we are getting a poodle in 2021. We live in a small apartment and we both work and although we often work from home that is not enough time to give rodents lots of free range time and walk an energetic dog...

Especially because dogs are in their nature predators, I don't feel comfortable having both out in the same room.

Its tempting sometimes, looking around the empty space and the free time that we have right now and fill it with guinea pigs, rats or degus. But then I think about the fact that I am going to have a very energetic little mini puppy in 2021 and then I am probably going to be relieved that I didn't take on any more pet responsibilities before then :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I am sitting in my big chair with Poppy tucked in beside me in her favourite spot (the very first time I met her she was in just the same position snuggling with her breeder's husband), Pippin-cat on my lap and Sophy on her favourite blanket bed just beside me, and realising just how disruptive a puppy would be to this treasured routine. So I will continue to be sensible, for now at least. I think Sophy would cope, mostly by telling a puppy to shut up and behave itself, but Poppy would easily get jealous and although the cats are very dog savvy Pippin in particular is too old and creaky to be exposed to puppy ragging. At the moment we are in the twilight times - threaded with gold, and filled with compensations, but a time of inevitable decline. There is comfort in knowing there may also be a dawn, full of hope for a new day.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I will admit that having puppies with my elderly tpoo Flower added years to her life, it's all about the temperaments of the dogs involved.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I think Sophy would enjoy having a puppy to boss!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Well I am no help when it comes to new puppies...I'd take as many as I could afford to care for. Currently we have a deposit on a shih tzu. He was born on July 4th. Our last one was healthy up till the ripe ol age of 17. As I've mentioned before we lost our boxer, who actually is my adult daughters dog and she is lost without her cuddle bug. WE all wanted another boxer they are great dogs, however when we see their beautiful face we still hurt, and finding a health tested breeder is difficult and even with that they have many health issues. Hence the shih tzu. She has been helping with Renn and walking him every night. However once he sees me, he wants to be next to me. So we have a trade off, I will help with her puppy, so I get a puppy anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
Pogo at age 10 is clearly in his twilight years. Galen adores him, and I worry about Galen as a single dog. The Covid puppy shortage and the Canadian border closure have made planning so much more difficult. Several of the breeders at the top of my list are in Quebec and Ontario; I'm reluctant to put a deposit down when the border situation is still so uncertain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts