Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again, I am sooooo confused about which clippers to purchase for my boy when he arrives.......no, he is not even born yet, but I like to be prepared.

Some say 1 speed, 2 or 5? which is best
What strokes per minute should I be looking at?

Regarding motor, some same MA-1 Magnetic, Linear Drive,
AC Motor, or Rotary, these are the ones I have come across so far. Is there one particular motor that is superior to others? Do I need to worry about this? Am I too freaked out?, am I reading to much?.
I AM SO FRGGIN EXCITED ABOUT OWNING A STANDARD POODLE......oops, sorry for yelling

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, your information has been invaluable. I figured who better to ask than The Poodle Experts here on the Forum.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
These are the clippers I use, not only on my standard, but on the dogs I groom at the grooming salon I work at as well.
PetEdge: Andis UltraEdge 2-Speed Clipper

Specifications:
Motor Type: Permanent Magnetic Rotary
Strokes Per Minute: 3,400/4,400

Handpiece Weight with Blade: 1.10bs
Handpiece Length with Blade: 7"

* Special edition colors for a sleek, modern look
* Lightweight, ergonomic nylon-injected plastic housing
* Low maintenance—no oiling or greasing of internal parts
* Extremely quiet operation
* 50% faster than AG Clippers
* 25% faster than AG 2-Speed Clippers

Andis® Ultra Edge 2-Speed Clippers offer a SUPER high speed of 4,400 strokes per minute, so your finished work will be dramatically smoother. Clippers include a FREE 4 oz bottle of blade oil, and an extra blade drive. Feature an extra long 16’ cord. Use Andis, Master Grooming Tools™, Oster® and Wahl® detachable-style blades. Clippers come with a #10 blade. Andis Ultra Edge Clippers are available in the colors listed below

·
Registered
575 Posts
Me again, I am sooooo confused about which clippers to purchase for my boy when he arrives.......no, he is not even born yet, but I like to be prepared.

Some say 1 speed, 2 or 5? which is best
What strokes per minute should I be looking at?

Regarding motor, some same MA-1 Magnetic, Linear Drive,
AC Motor, or Rotary, these are the ones I have come across so far. Is there one particular motor that is superior to others? Do I need to worry about this? Am I too freaked out?, am I reading to much?.
I AM SO FRGGIN EXCITED ABOUT OWNING A STANDARD POODLE......oops, sorry for yelling

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, your information has been invaluable. I figured who better to ask than The Poodle Experts here on the Forum.
First of all, CALM DOWN :) This is not a decision that should freak you out. I know all that info can be confusing, but if you get a couple of recommendations, then just select from them.

I know there are a lot of people that like the Andis clippers, but I personally (having used several of them) don't care for their weight, shape, or their ability to really power thru hair. As a professional, I need clippers that will adapt to any situation and are comfortable for all day use. I have hand issues and the Andis are just TOO heavy and cumbersome. I've also used the Wahl Switchblade and while it's comfortable enough, the cord is extremely heavy and the flexible rubber thing at the end of the clipper is very stiff and makes the clipper feel top heavy. This pulls on my wrist and makes my hand have to work harder to keep it at the correct angle, putting more strain on my hand, arm, shoulder, and neck. My favorite clippers are the Laube products (Mini Micro and Litening) because they are powerful, light, and small. Their power can not be matched by ANY clipper I've tried to date and they don't stress my hand, arm, shoulder, or neck.

Now, all that being said, I use clippers all day, everyday and know that most of you are only going to be using them for your one, two or three dogs every once and a while. ANY of the professional clippers (Andis, Oster, Wahl, or Laube) SHOULD do a decent job and I don't think it's worth stressing about :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
it's a clipper- you won't die the dog won't die it's not a life or death decision.

Reality is when doing ONE dog you can get away with much different then say a breeder or groomer who will do several in a day.
1 speed is fine
2 speed just lets you slow it down if needed for a skittish dog- again not really something you NEED

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help,.........sorry, just want to make sure I make the best buy.
Just excited about getting a Standard, is all.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I just bought the new Andis 5 speed at Intergroom. Don't know how I lived without 5 speeds before this. Its smaller, rubber coated hand grip part and its light pink sparkly. I like the very slow speed for groins, penis, vag, and underside of tails. I like to put a 10 wide on for fast take downs. Its extremely quiet for puppies and shy dogs. I comes with a #10 ceramic since its highest speed runs hotter..which I like the fast speed. I can get done BEFORE the blade even gets warm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts