Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on vacation and I wanted to get Teddy cleaned up before we went. My regular groomer was on vacation last week and now she's all booked up.

If I were to buy myself a set of clippers, how much do you think I could mess up a simple FFT*? And which basic clippers would you recommend to someone like me? I don't want to spend a lot, but I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for good quality.

*Well, I could shave the dog's nose off, but hey, does he really need it? :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Dont buy clippers. I don't care if my clients are gone for a month as long as they bathe and comb out the knots. That coat can grow for months as long as its clean and brushed... it doesn't matter. Leave the actual clipperwork and scissorwork to your personal groomer and she wont have to charge you extra for "fixing your mistakes"

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why don't you try another groomer? I would never use the cheap clippers on a pups face or feet, especially if it's a mini, and especially if it's your first time doing it. The better clippers are upwards of $100, and it'd be cheaper and probably safer to just use a Petco groomer this once, or something to that nature. Both Petco and Petsmart groom dogs, and surely they wouldn't mess up a simple FFT if you make sure they're not totally hopeless, lol. Ask if they're familiar with doing poodles, just to be safe.

Also, I rofl'd at your nose comment. :D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tail and feet don't really bother me, but I would like to be able to see his little eyes. LOL

The only reason I don't like using the pet store groomers is because they won't let me stay with him like our regular groomer does. Maybe I'll just bathe him and very lightly trim the hair around his eyes with my (non-pointy) grooming scissors. I could do that without messing him up (hair-wise or emotionally). :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can some one explain to me the reasoning for staying with your dog when you bring it to the groomer? Is it a trust issue or is it for the dog's sake? I don't mean to be ugly, I honestly would like to know WHY people ask to stay with their dog. I've only had a few ask and I tell them sure they can stay, but they usually chose not to.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's just my personal preference. If I had a kid, I would not drop them off at any random stranger's house so they could babysit them for a few hours. I wouldn't have a problem leaving him at our regular groomer's shop now that he's been there a few times, but not in a strange place where he doesn't know anyone.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Marion - I don't think those areas are that difficult to do at all from home. I would get a set of clippers JUST IN CASE times like this. Practice makes perfect!

I am with you - unless I know you well enough, my dogs are NOT staying alone. I have stood back and watched and heard enough here from groomers with their own witnessing of poor treatment of dogs. NOT that ALL are this way, so hopefully my words will not be twisted:) Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree. I don't have my poodle yet, but I totally trust my groomer. Besides which, you can't compare a dog and a child. My dog goes in a dog crate at the groomer's until she is ready for him. I have never seen child crates at the hairdressers. A child could get into an awful lot of trouble roaming around at the hairdressers, whereas a dog is perfectly safe in a crate. I never stay. Quite often my groomer is working on another dog, finishing up, when I get there and I don't think she wants me there distracting her while she is working.

And my dogs go in my groomer's crate quite willingly, whereas at home they are never crated any more and its a real fight to get them in.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would honestly worry about a grooming shop that would not allow an owner to stay..however I always advise owners that it's actually less stressful for the dog if the owner leaves.

I think people tend to give dogs human emotions, and it's just not the case. At the end of the day dogs are dogs and should be treated "like a dog". Most behavior problems animals have are from owners treating them like humans.

A human child is much different and a child would probably freak out if the mom left him with a hairstylist unattended.

I don't have a problem with owners watching..because I'm not going to hurt someones dog regardless if they are or are not there. I would like to feel that the owner has some trust and confidence in me and I would be lying if I said I felt slightly offended everytime i'm asked by a client if they can stay... I tell them "as long as you don't talk, look directly at or stand right in front of me". I've had owners sit there and make baby talk noises while i'm grooming the dog and sent the dog home half-done. It's irritating.

Marian: I'm just ranting, i'm sure you are not like that and probably just feel more comfortable. Perhaps someday give your groomer the benefit of a doubt and just ask them if the dog acts better once you leave. As long as "mom" is there to save the dog they usually act up. Once mom is gone though a dog calms down almost instantly and "gives up" realizing mom isn't there to save them.

To answer your question: It's not difficult to do face/feet/tail, it can be very difficult your first time though..not because of what's being done but from nerves. I was so nervous the first time I took clippers anywhere NEAR a dogs face. I had visions of the clippers going in the eye and blood going everywhere, i imagined every single horrible thing that could happen...and not once has it ever happened!

It's very difficult to do something like shaving the face when you are nervous. You could get a little micro trimmer like what AgilityIG uses on her dog Vinnie..her dogs face/feet/tail always looks great and she does it weekly I believe.

A GOOD pair of clippers will cost 120-150 and can sometimes be found much less on craigslist or groomers.net in the swap and shop section. I bought my first set of everything used for a great price!

Anyway..sorry for the long rant. I do understand why people like you want to stay with your dog. Unfortunately there are a lot of BAD GROOMERS out there! There are people I would not leave my dog with for a SECOND and i've worked with most of those people at Petco! Of course I worked an a really awful Petco... I have since met fantastic groomers at that store..one of my best friends is still a groomer at a different Petco..so it just depends on the place. Some of the big chain stores actually have decent groomers adn good training. I just happened to work in a really crappy place!

I wish you luck! I think learning to do some grooming yourself can be wonderful bonding experience with you and your dog..just make sure to only do what you are comfortable with, watch videos, and learn everything you can before actually doing it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My groomer is not bothered at all by my being there while she's working. I have asked her, and believe me when I tell you that she's very direct and I know she would tell me straight out if it did. I actually help out sometimes, especially with holding him still while he's getting dried, or actually using another dryer on his ears or whatever while someone else is drying his other end. Or if she's clipping him somewhere he doesn't like being clipped, I'll come and keep him still. It's nice being able to participate, especially when the whole time we're having an interesting conversation about dogs and what have you.

At the end of the day, even if I absolutely hated the groom (which I never have), I wouldn't have the heart to say anything. And I would still continue to use her. It's just hair. It will grow back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts