Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My husband is in the Navy, and we will most likely be moving to Japan (should know for sure in about a week and a half) and I am concerned with trying to fly my dogs over. Can anyone tell me what is required to transport animals on a plane? My standard will be about a year old, and my husbands 65lb mutt will be going with us. I have never flown with animals, so I'm completely ignorant.

Thanks Bunches!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The best is to find a pet travel agency - there are quite a few regulations that needs to be followed to import into one country and export from the USA. Including quarantine, micro-chipping your dog, vaccines, international health certificate, permits etc.
Start with finding out what the import regulations are for Japan. Contact the airline that you are going to travel with, they have requirements as how your pet should travel, what documents it need etc.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/pet_travel/pet_travel_basics.shtml

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html

·
Registered
546 Posts
WOW! That is so cool! I LOVE Japan! Whereabouts will you be based?

Do your research and be sure to get everything in order WAY ahead of time. You want this transition to be as flawless for you and your babies. It's easy to google, or call the embassy/travel agent/etc.. to find out more.

Pets: The Japanese Animal Quarantine Service (AQS) sets procedures for importing pets. In most instances, the process will take at least seven (7) months from the date of the first rabies vaccination before a pet may enter Japan, so advance planning is critical. More information about importing a pet into Japan or information about exporting a pet from Japan is available on our embassy website.

These are important sites that you should visit. Print the pages out and understand them to ensure that you follow all of the right steps.

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/index.html
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-petsi.html
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html

Travel in Japan can be extremely frustrating for foreigners. When you cross into Japan, the immigration officers can be very strict. Or, they can play completely dumb (I say that lightly) and they will be very polite about the whole thing. It can take HOURS to get things done, even when you have all of your paper work in order.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out yesterday that we are OFFICIALLY moving to Japan! I'm so excited!!! But it's also a little overwhelming...I have SO much to do, even if the move is several months away. I have to find out what to do about microchiping and I guess both dogs have to get a rabies vaccine again? It also kinda sucks that I paid money for the enrollment in Banfield (kinda like insurance) and now I'll have to switch over to the vet clinic on base...which sucks, since it is nearly impossible to get an appointment on base and not to mention we are in a year contract.

Any more info that you might have to share, including personal experiences, would be grately appreciated. Specifically regarding quarenteen-how long shoudl I espect realistically?

SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Japanese are very strict when it comes to their rules and regulations. Make sure you have all your papers in order too, or else they are sure to give you problems. From what I've read(I'm planning on studying in Japan eventually) it depends on whether you did the full 180 day "quarantine" in your home country. Basically, get your dogs vaccinated for rabies, wait 30 days, titer test and get original lab results from a Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries approved location, then wait 180 days before you go to Japan. If you leave before the 180 days is completed your dog will be subject to quarantine.

I've heard they can last 30 minutes to 6 months, but I'm sure it depends on how much forethought and effort you put into it before flying over. On a side note, Japan is a great place, but they can show a bit of gaijin(foreigner) hate. You shouldn't have a problem though since I'm assuming your living on base, but finding an apartment that accepts foreigners AND pets is a feat in itself.

Good luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4807261_dog-japan-other-nonrabid-islands.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are supose to have between 4-7 months before we leave, but my husband hasn't gotten his copy of orders with the 'report no later than' date on it. We had been going off base for vet care because on base is SOOO hard to get an appointment(they only have like 2 vets and they only work 3 days a week from what I've seen) but they are suppose to have all the overseas paperwork and things for us. Our dogs don't have microchips, and I've been reading that they have to have them BEFORE the rabies vaccine is given, so I'm in a race to try to get them implanted with one asap. Maybe it would be possible for my mom to keep the dogs for a few weeks and then ship them to us instead of having them in quarinten over there. Not sure how that would work... I still have to find out if the Navy will pay to ship them sence they are considered "property". We going to sell all of our furnature, electronics, appliances, and only keep sentimental things, and the kids favorite toys. So they will be saving alot of money on moving us already. My husband doesn't get how much work this is going to be. He keeps saying "They are going to make sure we have time to get everything done..." *Sigh* I think I'm going to turn this job over to him and see how long it takes for him to complain!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow! You sure have your work cut out before you. I wish you all the luck in your new adventures. I was an airforce brat. We moved so many times when I was little.We could tell it was time for another move almost before Dad told us. But we made it fine. In fact, I loved it. My sister hated it. I am not sure how the others felt about it.

Debby

·
Registered
53 Posts
Japan huh, that is really cool! We are military too, Army though. The Army don't help out with shipping pets, but I'm not positive about the other services. At one time I thought I heard they were assisting with the cost of quarantining though if you run into that. If you are able to get a military flight to Japan the dogs may be able to fly with you and probably wouldn't be as expensive as commercial airlines.

Good luck with your PCS and all that it entails! ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Our dogs don't have microchips, and I've been reading that they have to have them BEFORE the rabies vaccine is given, so I'm in a race to try to get them implanted with one asap
Make sure of the chip that is required in Japan... scanners/chips differ from country to country... and you get alphanumeric and numeric coded chips with different frequencies. The one used in the USA is usually 125kHz and the international standard for most other countries is 134kHz.
I’ve only ever dealt with exporting pets to South-Africa, and I know they have a chip requirement... don’t know about Japan. You want to make sure they can read the info when they scan your dog when he/she enters Japan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I'm sure that Japan requires it. I called the base vet and I was able to get an appointment for both dogs tomorrow! She knew EXACTLY what I needed as soon as I told her we were going to Japan, so I'm sure they will have the right type of chip. I couldn't believe that I got that lucky to get such a quick appointment, but the girl squezed me in because she knew I was in a race against time because of quarenteen rules.

I just heard too that they don't always help with pet shipping, but sometimes they will re-emburse a portion of it.

It's going to be SOOO crazy having 2 big dogs, 3 kids, 3 carseats, LOTS of luggage....and only 2 adults...I don't know what I'll do if my hubby and I end up having to fly separately...I'd NEVER be able to handle that much crap by myself!!!!:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts