Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desperately need help. Willow is eight months now and such a sweet girl. She listens to me when I tell her not to go in a room. She waits by thresholds until I tell her she can go through. She knows lots of commands and tricks. She’s stopped counter surfing everywhere but the kitchen every once in a while. She’s learned to leave most things alone when before she would steal everything. She walks great on a leash. She’s graduated from sleeping in her crate at night to sleeping with my teenage daughter without getting up in the night and roaming around. She’s one hundred percent potty trained. She’s an overall good puppy. Yesterday we were outside playing in a little kiddie pool I bought for her. I noticed some skin on her rear swelled up into like this fluid filled balloon about three inches in diameter. I thought maybe a bee sting or spider bite so I rushed her to the vet. $185 later and tests we find out it was nothing. The vet said it was from some sort of trauma to her hip which caused it. It seriously is like a balloon filled with water jiggling around on her hip. She prescribed some anti inflammatory and sent us on our way. This morning my daughter awoke to Willow trying to vomit. Eventually it came up and it was a fist size wad of the plastic wrapped caramels she stole from my parents counter a week ago.
i realize I have a toddler on my hands now. I’ve read that poodles never stop eating junk unless trained. I can not get to a trainer because of the virus.
She eats every piece of plastic she can find and I’m worried she’s going to die. My daughter and I are crazy insane about watching her and throwing things away or putting things away that she shouldn’t eat. I’ve had her feathered off and on since for six months. How do I train her to not eat plastic?? I know a good dog is one that doesn’t have any opportunities to do bad. I know I need to keep every little thing away from her but she will find something that I havnt even seen in ten years. I buy her marrow bones from the butcher and knuckles. She loves them for a day or two and then gets bored and turns into a scavenger goat. Is there anything I’m missing??? I will take any suggestions and execute them.
Thank you in advance - I hope one day I develop the poodle wisdoms so can return the favor to someone else.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
I wish I had more to offer than just, like you said, management. I can think of no way to teach a dog not to eat things when they're out of your sight, other than to ensure they're eating a nutritionally balanced diet and getting safe chews of a variety of textures.

You're entering adolescence now (we're only a few months ahead of you) and it can be so very challenging...especially as we tend to let down our guard after the initial puppy months have passed. They earn their freedom only to need it managed. It's exhausting! 😂 I'd say in the past few weeks I'm relying on Peggy's indoor exercise pen more than I did in the past few months.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have an indoor exercise pen because I’ve always kept willow tethered to me or in her crate. She’s back to being tethered because I don’t know how else to keep her safe. I feel awful that I can’t let her just be a free dog. I do know it’s for her safety but I want her to enjoy her life!

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Can you use gates instead? Keep her confined to a throughly puppy-proofed area?

Either way, don't feel bad. My husband let Peggy shred a box a single time outside her x-pen last week, and she's been a little thrill-seeking monster ever since: trying to drag her outdoor toys inside and her x-pen toys outside. It's a free-for-all! I'm already worrying about how she'll handle Christmas this year, whereas, as a puppy, she was perfectly behaved around all those temptations. ¯\(ツ)

Not only do they still have puppy urges at this age, they have them inside adult bodies, which makes them about a trillion times more dangerous. Add in all the weird hormones telling them to rebel, and well....

Tethering starts to make a lot of sense. :)

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts
I have always believed that if Lily were to die prematurely it would be from eating something stupid and dangerous. She will be 12 in September and I just took a tissue she stole out of a jacket pocket this morning away from her. She often poops scraps of tissues and napkins and the like. She would counter surf in a heartbeat if I didn't watch her and keep stuff attractive to her off the counters. Manage this well now and she will probably get a lot better about such things, but like my Lily you may have to manage these things more than being able to "cure" the undesirable behavior. These are self rewarding/reinforcing misdeeds. Even though she threw up that candy bag she still rewarded herself by taking it since in her mind the two things: getting the goody and having to throw up the bag have no relationship to each other. You can make it better by having a really good leave it installed. I wish you success.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I live in a tiny beach cottage built one hundred years ago. We barely have bedrooms. The only place I could put her is the bathroom and I just don’t trust her alone. Right now she has that big fluid filled sac on her hip so we haven’t to be extra careful with her. My mom told me to make her a muzzle out of fabric that matches my masks and we can wear them together all day. 😂

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always believed that if Lily were to die prematurely it would be from eating something stupid and dangerous. She will be 12 in September and I just took a tissue she stole out of a jacket pocket this morning away from her. She often poops scraps of tissues and napkins and the like. She would counter surf in a heartbeat if I didn't watch her and keep stuff attractive to her off the counters. Manage this well now and she will probably get a lot better about such things, but like my Lily you may have to manage these things more than being able to "cure" the undesirable behavior. These are self rewarding/reinforcing misdeeds. Even though she threw up that candy bag she still rewarded herself by taking it since in her mind the two things: getting the goody and having to throw up the bag have no relationship to each other. You can make it better by having a really good leave it installed. I wish you success.
Thank you so much. It’s nice to know we aren’t alone. I feel like Willow wants things strictly because she can’t have them. I’ve boughten her every bone and chew toy and she much rather go after a dangerous plastic thing. What do you think about me planting chew toys in areas that are off limits so she thinks she shouldn’t have them making them more desirable? That’s probably the worst idea right?

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts
Hmm, I don't quite understand what that would accomplish. If a place is off limits it should just be off limits and you need to teach her that. That can use "leave it" as part of how to teach it. For our dogs leave it means ignore that smelly paper towel that just hit the floor, leave that other dog alone, don't chase that chicken.....once you teach leave it really well then it just comes to mean knock it off regarding whatever stupid thing they are getting involved with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts