Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the newborn:

These are her parents:

The breeder says the puppy is apricot but I'm doubtful... maybe cafe au lait or silver beige?
My mother-in-law had two cream poodles that she lost recently (both of old age) - I'm looking for a puppy for my wife, but I don't want it to look too much like them. If anyone with experience with poodle newborns could help, I'd appreciate it a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
This is the newborn:

These are her parents:

The breeder says the puppy is apricot but I'm doubtful... maybe cafe au lait or silver beige?
My mother-in-law had two cream poodles that she lost recently (both of old age) - I'm looking for a puppy for my wife, but I don't want it to look too much like them. If anyone with experience with poodle newborns could help, I'd appreciate it a lot.
Both silver beige and cafe au lait are born a darker brown, I'd say cream

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, guys - I thought creams had black noses, is that not always the case?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys - I thought creams had black noses, is that not always the case?
My understanding is that pink is lack of pigment, whereas when/if there is pigment, it will be liver (as in cafe au lait) or black. So at this point that pup has neither.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
This is the newborn:

These are her parents:

I know she looks cream, but if the breeder calls apricot, I’m going to respect that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is the newborn:

These are her parents:

Aww! Thanks for sharing. Never seen a newborn poodle

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a Google imagine search for newborn cream poodles and saw lots of pink noses. Maybe at such a young age, this is normal?
My understanding is that pink is lack of pigment, whereas when/if there is pigment, it will be liver (as in cafe au lait) or black. So at this point that pup has neither.
That makes a lot of sense - thanks! I'll post more photos here as she grows.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
She is a cute puppy, all puppies are cute. But both parents have poor conformation. Does this breeder do any health testing ? Just so you don’t end up with a dog who will cost a lot of money and heartache...

·
Registered
450 Posts
She is a cute puppy, all puppies are cute. But both parents have poor conformation. Does this breeder do any health testing ? Just so you don’t end up with a dog who will cost a lot of money and heartache...
Wow. I assume you looked at the photo of the parents and saw something. After your comment I looked again. Was it the front feet that point outwards? So impressed by your keen eye.

I am a total newbie on dog conformation, just got really lucky with the pup I bought. No interest in showing him, but I've had numerous people who say they are professional handlers tell me my dog is outstanding. He moves like a champion dressage horse, as if he is floating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He does, but should I ask for a test in particular? I'm no looking for a show dog, just a companion, is poor conformation indicative of serious health problems?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
should I ask for a test in particular? I'm no looking for a show dog, just a companion, is poor conformation indicative of serious health problems?
Here’s a link to look at tests needed. Even if you’re not looking for a show companion, both parents have poor fronts, which means their puppies most probably do as well. This will might an effect on the dogs ability to walk for long periods, run, jump and even make them more susceptible to breaking bones.

Toy poodles are notorious for having problems with their patellas and eyes. Some poorly bred dogs will require surguries on both knees, some will have to have eye surgery. Ask Twyla on this forum. She didn’t know better when she bought her first dogs and she has spents thousands and thousands of dollars on her dogs and the dogs themselves have suffered a great deal. For her last boy, even though she didn't want to show, she went with a show breeder because she knew the dog would be structurally sound. She couldn’t be happier with him.

I would really reconsider this breeder, you can do so much better and it will coat you a lot less in the long run, even if a little more upfront.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Puppies aren’t usually born with the pigment that they are going to end up. These are all shades of apricot.

839FCD14-5B18-45BF-87D0-9DB756DCE0AB.jpeg

Same puppies a bit older. Though the darker one looks red she isn’t. The boy close to the flowers is a cream.

There is a new intensity gene test at Vetgen that if your dog has one copy it will stay apricot, 2copies will be cream, 0 copies the dog will stay red unless there is silver in the genes ( which there isn’t a test for). I’m getting my girl tested ( white paws puppy) as I’m too impatient to find out. She’s golden like her Daddy but if she got 2(I) genes she will fade to look like her mom. Still a apricot just a faded one. The boy you can tell is cream because all his roots are cream..the underside of his red ears are cream whereas my girl has golden hair in the same place.

The boy’s pic below ( you can see the shading on his nose turning if you look close). You can see how white his face his when he is older. The inside of his ears match. My girl looks like she has light face when first shaved ( which she is usually shaved once a week) but as soon as it grow out a little you can see the yellow shading to it.

So a puppy first born it’s very hard to tell between a light apricot or cream.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
I assume you looked at the photo of the parents and saw something. After your comment I looked again. Was it the front feet that point outwards?
Yes, both parents have feet going east and west, and a weird front because of it. They also look like they have a long body and the head is not great either. I’m certainly not a pro but it looks like poor conformation to me. Some might say it’s only aesthetics, but there is much more than because poor conformation might lead to structural problems too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with the parents legs. In an ideal world all poodles would have perfect conformation but they all have something they can fix. If a breeder was trying to improve her lines /poodle breed those two with both a bad front should not have been bred togetherif at all). Most likely the pups will be the same. I could see bad knees happening with legs/feet turning opposite direction putting all that stress on the joints. My son constantly tries to walk like that on purpose and I’m always after him because I don’t want him to have bad knees or arthritis.

The pup still looks apricot or cream . Time will tell after 3-4 weeks and a face shave.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, both parents have feet going east and west, and a weird front because of it. They also look like they have a long body and the head is not great either. I’m certainly not a pro but it looks like poor conformation to me. Some might say it’s only aesthetics, but there is much more than because poor conformation might lead to structural problems too.
This is our first Poodle and I am so grateful for the advice people on this site have generously shared.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts