Poodle Forum banner

Help! Brushing our new guy with long hair.

4407 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  angiefurst
We just got our sweet boy (our first dog ever). He is six months old and platinum silver. He has long hair (we love the longer cuts). He was groomed and bathed a week ago by breeder but today I tried to brush him for the first time ever (tried to keep his first few days as gentle and stress-free as possible). I tried putting a few drops of conditioner into a spritz bottle of water (shook up) and brush a little at a time but it was challenging and felt like it was pulling his hair. He nipped the air at one point to show me it hurt him. I didn't do everything because I wanted to see if there's a better way. In the future, I'm happy to brush him daily if that's what's best.

_R6A0421 by Tammy

Here is the brush and spray bottle i got (brush recommended by breeder).

Should I get an actual brushing spray? What's the best brushing technique? Spritz a small area and then gently brush? Another member said it might be better on a turntable of sorts? Any thoughts?

Also, am a bit nervous about doing the more delicate areas - like ears, chin, legs/feet, underbelly. Any tips on that?

I also notice when he pees, he barely just squats and then he will be a little wet under there. Should I be wiping him off after? Since he's got long fur? I feel like a total idiot with soeme of these questions. It seemed much easier on paper and in theory but I want to make sure I'm doing right by him because he's such a sweet and trusting little guy!

Brush:
https://www.chewy.com/dp/111455?utm...=transactional&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation

Spritzer bottle:
https://www.chewy.com/dp/111455?utm...=transactional&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation
See less See more
1 - 2 of 19 Posts
A few tips. it helps if you hold the hair while brushing. Even if he wiggles or keeps moving, be firm and do what you have to do. He is 6 months old, he is used to being brushed and is old enough to stand still. Right now he senses you’re a little unsure and will take advantage of it if you let him. (To get away with not being brushed).

About being wet after peeing, this is normal. Some people like to leave a strain of hair on the penis so it drips, others don’t. I don’t like it as it becomes a «*urine pole » and smells. You can shave the penis and groin area so it keeps cleaner (or have the groomer do it). No need to wipe.

I don’t mist my dogs before brushing and I comb after having brushed, to make sure there are no knots left. Everyone does it different. The important th8ng is to do it enough so the dog doesn’t mat.

I also like a shaved face better. For the looks, but mainly for hygiene. Tearing and food residues are not my thing and I am not up to washing their faces many times a day. But this is a personal choice.
See less See more
I’d prefer to get everything at amazon so I can veg fast free shipping, but am overwhelmed by choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015...=1530291011&sr=1-1&keywords=Chris+Christensen

That one is recommended for face only? What about one for body?

We had a lice/not comb at one point (its lost) but I read that those combs DESTROYs the hair shaft?

Any other links on amazon you guys can post and recommend?
That’s the comb I have. You can do the whole body with it. I use it after brushing with a slicker brush.
1 - 2 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.