Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was afraid this was coming. But don't worry - it isn't something you need to rush him to an ER for - it can wait till the vet is open. It is probably from the stress of coming to a new house. There are a couple of different things it is likely to be Giardia is one. But I wouldn't let the kids handle him much as some of the things he could have can be passed to humans.
You will get some sort of antibiotic. I have been prescribed "FLAGYL" or another one is "METRONIDAZOLE". You usually have to give one half of a pill twice a day for 7 days or so. If you have other dogs - KEEP HIM AWAY from them as it can be contagious. If they have spent much time with him, you vet may want you to give them all the antibiotic.
This has happened to me with three different puppies over the years. The most annoying part is trying to keep everyone separated and clean. But if you just noticed the blood tonight - take him in first thing tomorrow and see if they will run the test. Oh, and this doesn't mean you have a bad breeder - this can happen with any breeder.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you im at my wits end i could cry,
its not fair:(

He is on a dried diet i never heard of that with a puppy so young

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
A breeder on apricot and red poodle yahoo group just posted about the same symptoms

All 8 of her dogs got Giardia , They have a pond I believe in their backyard or one was at a dog show.

That is crazy ! now I am scared to take Enzo to the dam

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well like I said, I've dealt with Giardia - I got a Boston Terrier years back and sure enough after he had been with my other dogs, he began to show the symptoms. NIGHTMARE because it was around Christmas and I had family coming in. So I had to treat three dogs - keep the kids away and pray the symptoms were gone before my non dog friendly in laws came to stay for a few days.
Good luck! I know it is frustrating for you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ok what food was the breeder feeding? You brought home a brand new baby have you talked to the breeder? Did you change food over night? I would think the blood would be from an upset bowel from the runs and hoping that the breeeder didn't send him home that way to begin with.
Stop all food tonight till morning.
Are you on well water? Even a change in water could be the cause of this and some breeders are now not only sending home food but water with new babies.

Are you positive the kids are not feeding him the other dogs food? Treats anything extra?

I would just relax call breeder and get some of food breeder was feeding.
If you don't like that food fine but until Bobby is better it is a better alternative

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I feel so bad for you - you must be so upset after all you have gone through to get a new spoo. Maybe he just needs to be wormed again. I have had my dogs get sick here and there and never knew what caused it. My vet always told me no food or water at first, then water and if that can stay down a little rice and chicken. My thoughts are with you!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am thinking either

coccidia or giardia too.

Just get him to the vet when they open and get it diagnosed and treated. (don't forget to take a sample with you when you go).

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
gross, but definitly collect a sample for when you go in to the vet. Go first thing in the morning, while the other more obvious and most likely causes have already been mentioned, there are others that could be more serious.

Try and get some sleep tonight, both you and bobby! Don't be too upset, sometimes things can't be helped. Stress plays a role of course and as smooth as you try and make the transition to a new home some dog's are just more easily stressed than others.
(((hugs))) to you, sending healing thoughts your way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok what food was the breeder feeding? You brought home a brand new baby have you talked to the breeder? Did you change food over night? I would think the blood would be from an upset bowel from the runs and hoping that the breeeder didn't send him home that way to begin with.
Stop all food tonight till morning.
Are you on well water? Even a change in water could be the cause of this and some breeders are now not only sending home food but water with new babies.

Are you positive the kids are not feeding him the other dogs food? Treats anything extra?

I would just relax call breeder and get some of food breeder was feeding.
If you don't like that food fine but until Bobby is better it is a better alternative
He is on james welbeloved the breeder gave it to me,he is drinking cool boiled water all what the breeder was feeding and drinking,no treats nothing else.
The breeder had him jabbed on friday i took him on saturday i did think you had to keep him back a week after a jab??

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't have much to add except my healing thoughts for bobby. Looks like good advice from everyone else. Get him off to the vet as soon as you can, the sooner he starts treatment the better. Removing his food and giving only small amounts of water is good for tonight until you can get to the vet.

·
Registered
646 Posts
humm poor guy i am sure nothing to seriuos other then a puppy with an upset tummy from the move, shots or something else.
Let us know what vet says though to bad another visit so soon.
Casey had the poops for months for no apperent reasons we wormed, switched foods,
I ended up just boiling meat for a few months JUst meat he was fine then slowly added in potatoes, or grean beans, oatmeal.
Rice made him worse for some reason.

OH Frozen grean beans help solidify poop as well. a small handfull each meal or as training treats.

He is on food now but he takes probiotics pills so we don't have the runs.
His stomache just needs the pills where as Mandy can eat mostly anything

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have just come back from the vets,he is on pro-kaolin for 2 days which he readly took.
I had to reintroduce boiled rice and chicken and a small amount of mixer(plain kibble biscuit)
He has just eaten the rice mix fingers crossed,Vet said i have to call them tomorrow to see if a change if not better by thursday i have to take him back.
Thanks for all the advice every one :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Glad he's taking his meds happily. LoL, they can be so funny about that sometimes can't they. I worm everyone in my house a couple of times a year more as a precaution than anything. I started last night and decided to go ahead and do Saleen too since we werent able to get a stool sample at her last vet visit. Now my dog HATE the worm med, even though it's supposed to be banana flavored. I got all set to do battle with Saleen over taking it and she shocked me but gobbling it right up. LoL.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well Bobby still has the runs although without being too discriptive it has a thicker consistancy as to porriage but its still far from a normal stool :( im hoping it will be a lot better tomorrow as if not he will have to go back to the vets :( I cant even take him out in the garden the vet advised against it while hes like this so hes pooing in my kitchen not something i wanted to start really :(

I will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update Bobby still got runs vet has asked me to bring him back in,what happened to the joys of getting a new pup :(
Im getting bad thoughts about where i got the pup now,she did have a lot of pups in different play pen style pens in like a barn,maybe im being paranoid i dont know but i want to get this pup better bless him.

Off to vets now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts