Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Cleo is 7 months old. i put her to bed in her crate every night around 9:30 and she sleeps until 7:30am. But one time about a month ago she woke at 3am and barked for a half hour until i took her out to pee. Didn't talk to her, put her back in the crate, she barked for another hour while I tried to sleep. Finally she went to sleep. I think it was because my son left for college the day before--transitional time.

Now, tomorrow, we are boarding her for the weekend (at a place she loves) while we go visit one of my kids at college, so i've been packing all day. Tonight i put her in the crate, and she barked for a half-hour right off the bat. Very unusual. I ignore her for about 25 minutes. I finally decided that maybe she needed to pee. There was a huge rainstorm going on (this never bothers her). I took her out in the yard and she didn't mind at all being out in the rain and wind. I didn't talk except for saying "make" and I waited. After a couple minutes, she peed and i waited some more to make sure she didn't need to go more. Then i took her in, dried her off, and put her back in the crate. She started barking and howling again within a couple of minutes, and she's been at it pretty consistently since then--so more than an hour now, total. I don't know what to do. I only know I have to drive 4 hours in the morning, and i need to sleep! Any ideas?

If it helps, she doesn't love her crate. She never sleeps in there during the day, but i have not felt comfortable letting her sleep outside it at night at her age. I want to know what she's doing. Even though the kitchen is gated, she could get into stuff, plus she would get awakened too early when we are getting ready for work.

I don't want to reward her barking by letting her out to sleep, and i have a feeling she is worked up now and would just bark outside the crate at the dark window where she can see her reflection (she does that at random times during the day). Her crate is covered on 3 sides so when she's in there to sleep she can't see the window.

On the other hand, i have to think she's anxious about something, maybe sensing that we're going on a trip, and maybe i should be comforting her. So, i don't know what to do.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
It’s unfortunate but if she doesn’t need to pee or poop and she is not ill, you need to leave her in there or this will be a never ending battle that you won’t win. You’ll be doomed and she won’t stop.

Put some earplugs on, or white noise.

There’s one thing you might try : maybe she’s hearing something where her crate is. Something very subtle that you can’t hear. Try putting her crate somewhere else. Only let her out when she’s quiet. Take her outside, no talking, then move the crate and let her be. She might need a drink after barking so much too...

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'd wait until there's a little break in her barking, then let her out to sleep near you. She may be trying to tell you something if this is unusual. Maybe you're right about the changes and the stress that goes with it. How much time has she been staying in the crate? Maybe she just needs to be by you more or like you say, be comforted after making sure you don't think there's anything medical going on. If she can sleep near you, maybe she'll quiet down and you can both sleep.

I don't think you'll be doomed. She didn't use to do this, right? but now she is. I think she may be trying to tell you something. You can ease her back to sleeping in her crate after she quiets/calms down by your reassurance.

I like the idea of white noise. That can be helpful for sure.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My dog had trained me into letting her sleep on the bed by 4 months old (falling asleep exhausted on the bed together, if she woke up for a pee she went to her crate. Very quickly she started sleeping though the night if she was on the bed, but not if she was in her crate), so I am no help other than to hope you get sleep! Driving without sleep is miserable.

Could the crate be moved closer to you? When Annie was a baby and cried, I would flick on the light, let her see me/smell me for reassurance, and then flick off the light. Could you give her smelly laundry of yours for comfort? Could you turn on a fan or other familiar noise to block outdoor noises-its really windy here and I notice Annie reacting to it tonight. If she was on edge because i had been acting weird, she would probably bark.

Otherwise,I am afraid 2 reinforcements of "if I cry long enough I get attention" are pretty hard to break on short notice.

I really hope you get sleep!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! She's still at it, and it's been over 2 hours, so about 90 minutes since i took her outside the one time. She drank from puddles out there, so i don't think i want her to drink anymore. Then i will need to wonder if she has to pee again legitimately.
If I start moving her crate around right now, i feel like that will disrupt things more. It would be rather a production. The crate is heavy and i can't do it myself.
I think she probably wants to be near me, but she is not allowed upstairs, and i can't sleep on the kitchen floor. (I did when we first brought her home. it was murder on my back!) And anyway, that would i'm afraid encourage her to repeat the performance.
Maybe i will try to put on a white noise machine near her, the one i'm using to try and get thru the barking. Now i just have to wait for her to be quiet for a few minutes before i go into the room... That could take a while!

I have to say, i've had some suspicion that she's going thru a sort of fear period. I know that can happen during the teen period, and she's just turned 7 months. I noticed she's more hesitant going up a flight of stairs--unsure of her hind leg position, and she balked at passing a house under construction (i think it was the nail gun sound, and also seeing a man walking on the roof), where that would never bother her before. So maybe this is a separation thing?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i snuck down there during a quiet moment to plug i a white noise machine and she immediately started up again. I waited for quiet and then i took her out. She drank water and peed again, i waited to see if she'd do more. Part of the time she just sat and stared at me, and i turned my back and didn't engage. So clearly she wants attention. i brought her back in and had to take her by the collar to get her to go into the crate. I hung around in the room for a bit, and as soon as i left she started whining, but now she seems to have dropped off. I hope it sticks...

One thing that i will probably find funny in the morning--we have a clock that makes real bird sounds on the hour. It's in the next room over from where she sleeps. I heard it tweet for midnight from upstairs, and i wanted to clobber myself. I don't think that was the cause of her upset, but it certainly wouldn't help! I grabbed that clock and yanked the batteries out before it could sound again. :O

·
Registered
962 Posts
I hope that you were able to sleep before your long drive. My experience: My nearly 4 yo male spoo sleeps in a crate next to my bed. I decided early on that he wouldn’t sleep in my bed because of his size. Also, I’ve had other dogs that had to be transitioned out of my bed due to health reasons and it was difficult. He’s very sensitive to my moods so I can imagine that your dog might be nervous due to your travel plans.

For my next dog I will include a white noise machine along with crate training. A training friend did this with her very active Aussie puppy and it helped when crating at other locations such as training clubs or trial sites, that all sounded like home. My boy will still occasionally fuss in his crate at agility class while waiting for his turn.

(Last night I left the crate door open—I was in bed early due to a day of travel for work and didn’t want to confine him for extra hours. As far as I know he stayed in the crate all night, getting up when he sensed that I was awake this morning. I’m going to splurge on a big dog bed for Christmas and see how that goes. Sadly, he’s not a late sleeper like my beagley girl, so I hope that he can be trusted to not wake me early!)

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
I am convinced that some poodles have a wide understanding of our language. One of mine knows most of what I'm saying and is very verbal in her intonations. In a conversation with others, she's always listening like a nosey little kid, and chimes in at perfect moments when we're talking about something she's done.

It's not that she's reacting to hearing her name, no, girlfriend will verbalize in a protest fashion of any disagreement over what I or the other person is saying about her. It's quite funny. There are even times when I spell words around her so she won't react.

I'm telling you this b/c some poodles are utterly brilliant. They not only read us well and study our body language and patterns, but catch most of what we're saying. I've never had a dog that can do this as well as Bella.

I'm betting your dog understands a great deal and may also be a communication genius.

...Finally she went to sleep. I think it was because my son left for college the day before--transitional time.

Now, tomorrow, we are boarding her for the weekend (at a place she loves) while we go visit one of my kids at college, so i've been packing all day...

...On the other hand, i have to think she's anxious about something, maybe sensing that we're going on a trip, and maybe i should be comforting her. So, i don't know what to do.
Bingo! She saw him pack and leave, now you've been packing, and she's been listening. She knows.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Sorry and I hope you got some sleep. My guy did this too around that age. suddenly he wanted no part of his crate. I made him go in and put on rain on top of his crate. After about 4 days he was fine again. Now a week ago, he is almost two now. he decided he hates his crate. He puts all 4's down and won't budge and forces himself back. I think its because he has more freedom now in the house and I gate him off in our foyer/and/dining room area. Ever since he was a pup he likes to stretch out to sleep rolling on both his side and his back. I finally gave in.on my terms he is now sleeping at night in the front of the house. But when people go jogging early at 5am he starts to bark at them a yell from me and he is quiet again but by then I'm done sleeping..I know he now wants too e where I am and he is about ready so soon I will allow him upstairs in my bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
I don't think dogs are meant to sleep alone. It goes against their deepest instincts. Sure, some might choose to wander from the bedroom once their human is asleep, out to the couch where they can oversee the house, or to a hallway where they can be equally close to all family members. But I think forcing that separation is eventually going to result in some form of protest.

We're trying it with our current puppy. At 5 months, she sleeps in her crate in the living room, just down the hall from us. But this is a first for me, and I suspect we'll be transitioning her to the bedroom in the coming months.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
At 7 months she is in the teenage phase, and it is normal for them to experiment to see if the rules still hold. When puppies they experiment but don't have much stamina. Teenagers have a lot of stamina. I would stick to the rules and wait it out. It's awful for your sleep, but will pay off in the long run. I, like you, would initially react by taking her outside because I'd be worried she was about to let loose a mess of diarrhea. But if you know that's not what she's on about, I'd just wait it out. They are like human children. They have tantrums.

My pup cannot sleep in our bed because my boyfriend has mild allergies. He often falls asleep with me on the couch and then is returned to his crate whenever I wake up, but he also sleeps fine in his crate all night or in his pen all night. We alternate things and it hasn't bothered him. I guess what I'm saying is dogs adjust. They do often like to be with us all the time, but I'd rather not encourage that. Sometimes it just isn't possible.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Vita, i'm laughing about communication genius! I think she does understand a lot of words. She is definitely sensitive to all the comings and goings in my house. My kids were around all summer but then in and out once school started, one home for a week, another one home for a night, etc, and i think those transitions have been hard for her. One of my kids brought out a suitcase, and Cleo climbed on top of it and curled up, like, "nope, you're not leaving!" Last night, she saw me packing up her toys for boarding, and i think that weirded her out.
Anyway, she was up past midnight but finally went to sleep. i did use a white noise machine in the end , and I wonder if i should keep that going. I was sure she was going to wake at any moment, but she slept for 7 hours. This morning everything seemed fine, so who knows??

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Peggy. You may be right. Renn wants to be with me now. I must say though his first year and a half he would have destroyed something in the house but now he is pretty good. Doesn't steal anymore.But I do want him to keep knowing there may be times in life that hems do things he doesn't want to do, hence his crate. I will periodically put him in during the day just to keep him advised of this.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
I do want him to keep knowing there may be times in life that hems do things he doesn't want to do, hence his crate. I will periodically put him in during the day just to keep him advised of this.
That's our reason for having her sleep apart from us, at least for now. Well, that and the fact that we'd prefer not to invest in a second crate for the bedroom if we can avoid it.

My last dog was pure velcro and I adored our bond. But this time around we'd like to be able to travel occasionally on our own (such as our anniversary cruise this spring!) and want to lay the foundation for self-soothing.

I'll admit, though - I often go out and sleep on the couch next to her crate, so maybe *I'm* the one with separation anxiety ? I just love having a dog nearby at night. That's when I most sharply feel the loss of my senior girl.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Vita, i'm laughing about communication genius! I think she does understand a lot of words. She is definitely sensitive to all the comings and goings in my house. My kids were around all summer but then in and out once school started, one home for a week, another one home for a night, etc, and i think those transitions have been hard for her. One of my kids brought out a suitcase, and Cleo climbed on top of it and curled up, like, "nope, you're not leaving!" Last night, she saw me packing up her toys for boarding, and i think that weirded her out.
Anyway, she was up past midnight but finally went to sleep. i did use a white noise machine in the end , and I wonder if i should keep that going. I was sure she was going to wake at any moment, but she slept for 7 hours. This morning everything seemed fine, so who knows??
Maybe she just wanted some reassurance that you were still there ?

Reminds me of some of my first sleepovers as a child—that panicky, lonely feeling that only ever seems to strike at night.

Glad you finally got a bit of rest!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts