Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please help me! I will be getting a Silver Toy poodle and I have some questions. My puppy’s face looks quite dark and a little patchy at different angles ... is this typical of young silver toy puppies, or should I expect him to clear to a very dark grey/silver based on these photos? I don’t want him to be on the blue side. Also, he’s likely estimated be slightly oversized — Possibly 10-11 inches tall. 7 or 8lbs. (I don’t mind at all. I just want know). Does he look much bigger?

Does this estimate sound accurate based on these photos? He turned 4 weeks old yesterday, as pictured in the photos. I really like this breeder and trust her a lot, I just want to hear some honest answers based out other experience and outside perspective please! I already love him so much!

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
That pattern of light and dark coloring on faces of silvers is the beginning of the clear to silver. And to me looks very typical. I also think some of that is probably just reflections from camera flash. Since it can take several years for the clearing to be completed at the moment I wouldn't take a guess on final color. Your best hint there would be the parents' colors. As to size at full grown I wouldn't begin to guess. Again look at the parents. He is a very nice looking puppy.

Reactions: NewToyMom

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Silver poodles are born black and begin clearing to silver quite early. The blotchy appearance of the face is probably because it's pretty hard to clip a baby puppy evenly the first few groomings so the black is on the tips of the hairs with silver at the base.

This puppy looks typical in color. I would guess that he will eventually be a very nice silver.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
This puppy is adorable ! It looks more blue than silver to me.

Dechi I think it is too soon to think this pup is blue. Looking again at the pics I think a lot of what is showing is reflections from a camera flash.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Dechi I think it is too soon to think this pup is blue. Looking again at the pics I think a lot of what is showing is reflections from a camera flash.
I have seen very young blue puppies next to silver ones, and they looked quite different.

I’m no expert, but that’s what I thought when I saw this puppy. It might certainly be due to lighting the camera flash, the angle or other.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
I have seen very young blue puppies next to silver ones, and they looked quite different.

I’m no expert, but that’s what I thought when I saw this puppy. It might certainly be due to lighting the camera flash, the angle or other.

Well hopefully we will get to see lots of pics of this pup so we get to see the answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts