Poodle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
My only experience with board & train was my friend’s. She has two huskies with littermate syndrome (not actually littermates) and they came back completely shut down. Then again, the trainer used shock collars. I trust you wouldn’t send your boys somewhere like that. :)

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
P.S. It’s really good to see you again! Wish things were going better for you and your crew, but it sounds like you’ve got some exciting things planned for the future.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope you understand that your little loved up pets will not be loved upon but will be corrected for improper behaviour and praised for proper behaviour.
I don’t think this method of training is the best way of getting the results you are hoping for. I think it’s going to be very stressful for them.
Why is it wrong to tell a dog that a certain behavior is unacceptable? It’s not being abusive. It’s communicating. I think that if more rules and consequences were in place, these problems might not be happening.

(Not directed toward the OP. I don’t know your situation or what exactly is going on with your dogs. I just very often see people with dogs that have major behavioral problems and 99% of the time the problem is actually the owner.)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don’t have experience with boarding dogs for 4 weeks, but I was also wondering why you are keeping one dog intact, knowing this is part of the problem ? Are you showing him or keeping him as a stud ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why is it wrong to tell a dog that a certain behavior is unacceptable? It’s not being abusive. It’s communicating. I think that if more rules and consequences were in place, these problems might not be happening.

(Not directed toward the OP. I don’t know your situation or what exactly is going on with your dogs. I just very often see people with dogs that have major behavioral problems and 99% of the time the problem is actually the owner.)
I didn’t say it’s wrong to correct bad behaviour. I have 7 dogs and without proper corrections they would be monsters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to read up a bit about separation anxiety before going the board and train route. I agree with others that working with a good trainer or certified behavior consultant while keeping your dogs in your home is the way to go, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that board and train is not the recommended method of dealing with separation anxiety. There are a number of very good trainers specializing in separation anxiety. Check out Malena DeMartini's site, books, videos, etc. Home - Malena DeMartini

If you do still want to consider board and train, know that, no, your dogs won't hate you when they get back, but there is the potential that they could come back with more issues or different but equally undesirable issues than they left with. It's not uncommon for board and trains to use harsh methods, and that can result in dogs who are shut down or who end up with increased fear and aggression. As trustworthy as he is, the friend of a family friend might not be the board and train you want to use, or maybe he is. Just do your research because 4 weeks is a lot of training to undo if you're not happy with the results.

I know you say you don't want to do in-home training, but ultimately, what we as humans learn through training is at least as important as what the dogs learn because we learn techniques and strategies that we can then apply in the future.

Wishing you, Loki and Norman all the best!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You might want to read up a bit about separation anxiety before going the board and train route.
If I understand the OP correctly, the training is not addressing the separation anxiety (SA) issue. But she's worried that her dogs will suffer, because they'll be crated alone and have SA.

I would not chose Board and Train for a dog that has SA, but address the SA first.

But it sounds like OP already made her mind up and came her for assurance, not for actual advice.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input!!

I totally agree that training the human is just as important. They will train me after the boys are finished in their training.

However, there are more “issues” than just the behavior around me which need fixed. Things i need assistance with that these people specialize in.
I won’t go through the list of issues, but it’s something I’ve called many trainers about, including behavioral ones, and I think the board and train is our best path forward. This is something I have been researching for months while trying to train the boys, and I have my hands full.
I am just looking for advice on if anyone has done a board and train and how their dogs were afterwards!
Thank you all again for your great input.
My nephew did a board n train with his GSP, a few months back. It worked out quite well for him. He had to train once the dog was home with the trainer coming to him. He now has a very well behaved dog though he must keep the work up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't have personal experience with board and trains, but I do with dogs that have needed long-term boarding.
Obviously there are multiple factors that come into play, but generally the dogs were happy to see their owners again and did not have personality changes.
Is there an option for video monitoring or something you can see? Have you been able to watch how the trainer works?
Maybe you can discuss with him, if they have not settled in a week or so, to cut the boarding short.
I don't think you will need it, but it's always nice to know you have the option if it comes down to it. There is comfort in knowing you have a plan in place to avoid major distress.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If this trainer is really good, and it sounds like you have gotten good recommendations, he will Not let your dogs be crying in their kennels at night :)

And if he is really good he will then work with you, and everyone in your family after, or even while training your dogs, so that you will learn the behaviors necessary to be able to maintain your dogs new training.

It won't do any good at all if he trains them, and then you and your family untrain them again. Which can happen pretty easily.

I always watch the way people interact with my spoo. He is so smart he can just as easily learn an unwanted behavior as a wanted one. I had a man specifically not follow my request in how he treated my Spoo and do just that! I was not pleased. I hope you and your family will be committed to learning from the trainer how to maintain what the dogs have learned.

Best of luck!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts