Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! Long time no see.
I need your wonderful advice once again!
To make a LONG story short. Loki is intact, Norman is not.
Loki is now an aggressor towards Norman, and Norman is now fighting back. Loki guards me out of jealousy.
I’ve found a great training program that would help us. I would drop them off and go get them after 4 weeks. However, I don’t know how I feel about giving my dogs up to someone for 4 weeks. The owner told me that I need to stop being attached to my dogs because it’s not good for any of us... I agree...but how will I sleep for 4 weeks when I know my babies are crying in a kennel without me ?
I need y’all to tell me if you’ve done this before and your thoughts. I tried to train them, but I’m out of a league here.
Loki start agility training in May, dive training too, and I think this can be a great step for us on communication.
Has anyone else done this?? Does this traumatize your dogs?? Do they hate you when they return? Are they the same loving and goofy dog when you get them back??

I’m a crazy dog mom I know. But I need some kind of support and reassurance or else I know I’ll back out. However, the owner is a family friends, friend. She said he’s a very great guy who loves what he does and is very trustworthy.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
I agree - I think the human usually needs training at least as much as the dogs. I would look for a well-qualified trainer who will work with you in the dogs' home environment.

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
I don't think you are being crazy or overprotective. I think it's important to use the right solution for the right problem.

My thought is that it makes sense to send a dog to boarding training when you want the dog to acquire a new skill, and you yourself don't have the time or expertise to teach it. Training a gun dog , a sheep dog, or a tracking dog would fall into this category. Maybe even basic manners, though it really seems to me that a pet owner should learn how to teach manners, since the dog would backside without consistent reinforcement.

From what you have described you have a behavioral issue. One of your dogs is resource guarding. The resource they are fighting over is you. When they go off to the kennel you won't be there, so the trigger for the whole issue won't be present. Then they will come home. They will have had some training, but you won't. So the resource they want is present again, they may be a little more insecure due to the separation, and you yourself won't have any new tools to address it.

I would like to know more about how this trainer wants you to manage your dogs after they get back from training. I'm also wondering if you have the option for a trainer to visit your house and work with you there.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
It's probably cheaper to have a private trainer come to your house, assess the situation, and help you train it. Or, you can hire them to train your dog for you while you watch. Removing the dogs from the house also removes them from the triggers that cause the behavior, so the trainer might not see the full picture in a board and train.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input!!

I totally agree that training the human is just as important. They will train me after the boys are finished in their training.

However, there are more “issues” than just the behavior around me which need fixed. Things i need assistance with that these people specialize in.
I won’t go through the list of issues, but it’s something I’ve called many trainers about, including behavioral ones, and I think the board and train is our best path forward. This is something I have been researching for months while trying to train the boys, and I have my hands full.
I am just looking for advice on if anyone has done a board and train and how their dogs were afterwards!
Thank you all again for your great input.

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
No one has mentioned this but one of the things I noticed is you have one intact and one neutered male dog. This can often be a source of problems unto itself. Why is Loki intact?

I also agree with Click and others that a good behaviorist trainer in your home will be able to have a fuller picture of the issues and you will be part of the picture during the training and learn how to handle the issues yourself. Part of your problem is that you are too attached to them if you think you won't sleep while they are away. My last loose comment before I go to class is to think that if you do send them to board that they will cry at night. If it really is a good training facility, they will be too tired to cry for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice!
I’m going to end my responses here. I’m just seeing if anyone has had any positive or negative experience on boarding and training, that’s all! Thank you again for your advice, it truly is appreciated.
But this is something I’ve researched for a while and called many places about, and believe this is the best path forward due to our circumstances (past the separation anxiety).
So if anyone does have experience with the boarding and training let me know I’d love to hear from you!!
thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi Samie, don’t take the lack of response to your actual question the wrong way. I think you may not get any answers because there aren’t that many people on PF with experience to share regarding board/train. We mostly train our own dogs, go to classes, and hire trainers or behaviorists to come to our home if we run into big trouble or intractable problems.
Many good wishes to you and your poodles! May you find your way to the solutions you are seeking.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,716 Posts
I haven't personally used such a service, but I know one family who did. Their dog came home with all the desired behaviors, but then reverted back to the old behaviors. According to the trainers I've talked to about these programs, that's usually the result. As @cowpony said above, board and trains seem to work well for training a specific skill like field retrieving, but even then, the human has to be involved for a period of time as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newport - thanks so much!! I don’t take anything poorly or to heart. They are great people who are very helpful.
I’ve taken my dogs to classes before as well. They did great and loved the experiences and have done a few levels. Lokis breeder is helping me get Loki him titles and I’m so excited for the process! He’s loves to work. I totally get where people are coming from and understand. However, I train my dogs too and I just don’t think an in home behavioralist is where we need to be at this point. Thank you again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hope you understand that your little loved up pets will not be loved upon but will be corrected for improper behaviour and praised for proper behaviour.
I don’t think this method of training is the best way of getting the results you are hoping for. I think it’s going to be very stressful for them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only advice I have is to make sure that the trainer has training philosophies and practices that align with your own. A lot of the "problem dog" trainers use electronic collars to suppress behaviors, which can have unintended consequences later on, once the dogs go home.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Liz, you’re totally right. Dogs can revert back and that is a fear! When they come home, my husband will be home too (he’s been stationed away for 4 years now so I’ve been on my own with trying to train the dogs which hasn’t been super easy LOL) so it’s going to be great to have two people being able to help the dogs and continue the training. I love training he boys. So I’m really excited to continue that process and make sure I push myself to know how to properly train them so I can keep those great behaviors.
I heard the dogs like to try and act out when they get home and revert back, like you said. So I’m SURE I will be having to put my foot down LOL!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Team hellhound - yes that’s so true thank you for that advice!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also, I would recommend that you prepare yourself for the possibility that you might need to eventually maintain a strict separation protocol to prevent fights from happening. .

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darling Darla - thanks for that input! That’s something that has been the biggest internal battle that I have been facing with allowing them to do this. I want them to be spoiled rotten at all times!! But I can’t give them human emotions that they don’t have. And that won’t help them be the dogs I need them to be so it’s best for them and me. But the owner reassured me that they monitor the dogs stress levels and behavior mid the dog is under too much stress, they will do steps to alleviate the stress. If they cannot help the stress, they remove them from the program. They also give the dogs “breaks” and give them activities that help them distress themselves. Such as playing, walks, going to the trainers home to play alone in the yards, etc.
I believe the dogs will gain great behaviors and be really successful! I’m very excited for them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, I would recommend that you prepare yourself for the possibility that you might need to eventually maintain a strict separation protocol to prevent fights from happening. .
yes you’re right! That’s something that I talked to a behavioralist about. It’s been really helpful recently. The key words they told me, that woke me up to what caused the issues is, “Remove the competition”!! This is helpful for me to see when fights might start. I didn’t realize what things could be seen as competitions to the boys, that now I realize “DUH!!” So I’ve been really adamant about watching them play, how they play, and what cues to look for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes you’re right! That’s something that I talked to a behavioralist about. It’s been really helpful recently. The key words they told me, that woke me up to what caused the issues is, “Remove the competition”!! This is helpful for me to see when fights might start. I didn’t realize what things could be seen as competitions to the boys, that now I realize “DUH!!” So I’ve been really adamant about watching them play, how they play, and what cues to look for.
Concerning the bit I bolded, I was lucky enough to get pictures of something that I saw when my two were playing the other day. Life with the Hellhounds

1 - 20 of 30 Posts