Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired 2 rescue pups yesterday. They are apricot brothers, 5 months old and are very gentle. The person I got them from told me that in her abscence one day; her friend decided to give them both a shave down. She started on the natural tails (smh) and now they both have RAT LOOKING TAILS. My stomach turns everytime I look at them. They were standing on their hind legs and their tails were wagging quite fast and I thought I would throw up when I heard those tails hitting the wall. uuuggghhh They are so cute.......in the face and when I initially saw them I thought I could deal with it or have them docked when they go under for their neutering. I called a vet and was told they were too old to have them done. (smh) I have a friend in NY that managed to let her dog get gum in her tail and had to shave the tail hair off. NOW.......3 years later, it still has NOT grown back. What do you guys think of this.......will the hair grow back or not?????? :scared:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I hope you were joking about having their tails docked for that reason?

Don't worry. It will grow back. Poodle hair grows quickly and endlessly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, wasn't joking. They look like ret tails hanging between their legs. I see lots of poodles with docked tails and it is all "fashionable amputation" to me. Does it not hurt when the are 3 days old? I wouldn't know. I do know this for a fact. I have seen quite a few male children get circumsized and the screamed a blood curdling scream each and every time. I live in Sin City and I know I could find a vet to do it but I'm not going to push the issue.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tail Docking is performed at 2-3days old as it does not hurt the puppies nearly as much as it would when they are older...

Shaved Poodle Tails are no new fashion... they have been around for ages..
Usually with a shaved tail you'll see shaved ears as well... the hair will grow back.. it takes time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jak. I have just never seen one in person with that long tail. It is always just hanging straight down. I am left to wonder how it will look with hair. With Pomerainians, every time you shave them the hair grows back thinner. I hope this is not the case with poodles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Jak. I have just never seen one in person with that long tail. It is always just hanging straight down. I am left to wonder how it will look with hair. With Pomerainians, every time you shave them the hair grows back thinner. I hope this is not the case with poodles.
It isn't. Poms have fur and a double coat that is damaged when they are shaved, so there is always a chance that it won't grow back. Poodles have hair that is more like humans in that it just continues to grow.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That is weird that you say they keep their tails down...

They should be carried upright...

Perhaps, they are taking time to adjust to the new setting..

I know when we got Saffy.. she didn't carry her tail highly for 10 months or so.. she always had it down :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi,
I have both, one with a docked and one undocked tail. Hopefully I can load up the picture and you'll see when the hair grows out, there really isn't much of a difference. Both my dogs make a rap-tapping sound when their tails hit the wall. I've shaved both too, looked very cool imo.

Have you seen the Portugese Water Dogs in their show clip? Their tails are shaved completely, you can fashion your two the same and lie to everyone who'll believe you...MINIATURE apricot PWDs!

Please don't dock, not at this age and after what they've already been through.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have groomed many poodles that had to have their tails shaved and it has always grown back... I wouldnt worry about that, but then I dont mind "rat" tails LOL! Hope you can get past that. It would be terrible to have your stomach turn looking at your two little guys!!

Sherry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts