Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm here and prowling this forum for grooming tips. We have a black standard boy named Lenny who is about 9 months old. He's our second standard. He's raw fed and doing well. I'm becoming a little obsessed with keeping him beautiful :) There's nothing quite like a gorgeous sculpted poodle! But not wanting to spend the $ to have him groomed, I'm undertaking the task myself at home and it's been a lot of fun!

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL - I'm the same. We have a black female spoo - 5 months old. I'm obsessed with keeping her looking as good as I can - and it's fun! I'm learning little by little. Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_5028.jpg

I don't know how to insert a photo here, tried an attachment here but I'm not sure if it will work. These are old but are taken right after a groom. My more recent pics are still on the camera and now's not the time since I'm about a half hour late on starting dinner :) I'm a homeschooling mom of five, and trying to balance my desire to have him primped to perfection and the rest of the household needs. I started out just wanting to save shelling out $70 every six weeks, but now that I know I can do it (still learning the finer aspects) I feel like I want to touch him up every 2 weeks or so which is a bit much.

IMG_5022.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The above isn't a complete groom, I don't think I did his TK or ears. That's the other thing; I can only seem to do him piecemeal, FFT one time then body the next, so I've never had a single groom last very long. Oh well, advantages and disadvantages I guess.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi and welcome. Your spoo looks wonderful. I've been learning to groom as well though I'm just at the fft yet lol. Oh well lots of time to learn more and its wonderful to be able to keep them looking neat and tidy.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Looks like there are a few of us with new puppies to groom! I am a retired groomer but it has been about 8 yrs since i have done any grooming at all and a lot more years since I had a puppy! Certainly a new experience :) Love the pictures.. your puppy looks great. I think taking your time and keeping sessions short is good. I am trying to get together a proper grooming kit. I am finding that some of my old equipment needs a bit of work and a new blade or 2 will help. I cant wait to be able to do a proper groom on my puppy... hoping for the weekend before he starts his training classes :)

Sherry

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jcwinks, adorable pup! I think the face and feet are the hardest. My guy is good on the table but has very ticklish feet, and on the face he hates having the lip area under the nose clipped. I'm looking into a pair of clippers that might be quieter for that purpose. Right now I'm using a $100 pair of Wahl "people" clippers on him. Some around here have mentioned the Arco Moser. But I might not be able to swing the $125 before he needs it again. But I just remembered that we have another pair of "people" clippers that are a different brand and worth a try. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am hoping to meet with another member and learn poodly grooming basics 101 in the next few weeks. i'm really excited. i have an 8 month (in 2 days!) spoo baby and i realized i love her face to be all clean and pretty ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
jcwinks, adorable pup! I think the face and feet are the hardest. My guy is good on the table but has very ticklish feet, and on the face he hates having the lip area under the nose clipped. I'm looking into a pair of clippers that might be quieter for that purpose. Right now I'm using a $100 pair of Wahl "people" clippers on him. Some around here have mentioned the Arco Moser. But I might not be able to swing the $125 before he needs it again. But I just remembered that we have another pair of "people" clippers that are a different brand and worth a try. Any advice?
There are so many clippers out there and most of them are fine. I am going to check out the Moser clipper myself... mainly for feet... Right now i have Oster A5's and a pair of Andis. Im sure I dont really NEED anything else for grooming my one poodle :) For some reason i always go for the Osters but the Andis are the quieter of the two. Hoolie doesnt like his feet being held... unfortunately he isnt one of those puppies that had his face and feet trimmed from an early age. at 4 mos when i got him he had one face trim and his feet had never been done. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish I could advise you but I am woefully unqualified! I recently bought the OsterMaxx 2 speed with cryogenx blades. I don't think it's quiet - it seems loud to me. It seems to get hot quickly, but I do spray it and switch the blades and work on another area so it's not too much of a problem. Perhaps you could advise me? LOL. I can tell you I have been getting better - I guess it just takes practice. The scissoring is a whole other issue - I'm really bad at that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello! Your boy looks a lot like my 7 month old girl. We, too, raw feed, and she has the most gorgeous shiny coat and really white teeth. I think it's making a huge difference.

I tried to clip her feet and face, since she's overdue for that, and the feet went ok, the face not so much. I need a helper to hold her while I figure out the clipping. She just is sooo pretty when she's just been trimmed. She is also so prancy, she just knows how cute she is.

I'd love to find just a basic grooming course, even online. Anybody have any suggestions? Reading the books just isn't cutting it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts