Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm glad to be apart of this forum this is new to me and if I do not answer your posts right away its because I'm trying to figure out how.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I still have not figured anything out other than to post something in this box.

The reason I joined this forum was to find out if there was any information on the docking ban that is going on through Canada. My grandson told me that it has been banned in New Brunswick PEI NovaS. I live here in Ontario and I have read nothing of this in the news paper.
Could someone please tell me whats going on. I found a petition on the internet about a ban futhering in Canada. Is this true, Poodles can't be docked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did a search too and came up with this.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/8/stop-the-canadian-veterinary-medical-association-in-furthering-the-dockcropdew-claw-removal-ban

Sponsored by:
People who care about preservation of Breed Standards

Our Human Rights

We would like you to help in reserving the right to preserve our historic heritage in canine breeds that either requires docking, cropping or dew claw removal as a part of their standards or function. Also in keeping our rights as individuals to have these procedures done by a Certified Veterinarian in safe, sanitary conditions, as well as the rights of the individual Vets that wish to continue to offer these services.

We the undersigned are outraged by the actions of the Canadian Veterinarian Medical Association in removing our human rights and freedom of choice. Docking, cropping & dewclaw removal is good husbandry! (Care, welfare and safety for their chosen Breed.)

Our Story_____________________________________

Stop the Veterinarian Medical Association in furthering the ban on Cosmetic surgeries

On April 01, 2010, the CVMA successfully banned Docking Cropping and Dew Claw removal in New Brunswick, P.E.I. and in Nova Scotia. Despite the evidence that had been brought forth to them that D/C/DW are of benefit, in health and function and are not just cosmetic.

Here are a few of the links that give evidence in refuting their claim regarding cosmetic surgeries.

Letters from owners of tail damaged dogs Why Canines are docked

http://www.k9alliance.com/resources/Tail-Docking-FactSheet.pdf Why Canine breeds are docked

There are many more articles out there speaking on behalf of D/C/DW as being of beneficial and necessary to the working Animal. These bans tend to affect the working Canines of the world.

Research results: many tail problems in canines, resulting in a make shift harness or tail amputation. Make shift harness meaning, harness made by owners in aid to help canines from furthering the damage to their tails.

Field dogs unable to continue tracking in the brush without injury or great blood loss from tail injuries.

And the largest devastation the results of births for the working dog, up an 80% decline in recent births! That right these bans are causing the extinction of various Canine working breeds.

We feel this ban was put into effect under pressure from various animal activist groups. The crop/dock veterinarian ban is a misplaced act of animal welfare. We believe that the opinions and information supplied to the general public was biased and not the total truth.

Is it to be that canines will no longer take part in future careers? A guard dog can't continue to guard if it no longer can continue to offer the same function as prior to the Ban.

Our Problem________________________________

This ban removes the rights already in place by owners, breeders, admirers and of course veterinarians that wish to continue to offer these procedures within canine species. The effects of these bans in other countries have resulted in injuries, infection, and the depletion of various Canine Species. The feline species has been omitted from the cosmetic clause, and in result cat de-clawing is not considered cosmetic.

We are concerned that because it is not a provincial law but only a ban within the veterinary Association, people will be trying to do it themselves, with little or no regard to the possible consequences. Just think of the unsanitary conditions, lack of knowledge & improper equipment that they may use. The outcome could leave these animals with years of unspeakable pain & suffering, possibly leading to unnecessary death.

We have a big battle ahead of us, to fight for the justice within our human rights. Since these bans took place tragedy is slowly emerging, we have taken steps to document our arguments against the CVMA. While collecting data and statements from every bit of research ever done on Docking Cropping or Dew Claw removal.

We are a small divided group that needs to ban together and fight the Canadian Veterinarian Medical Associations. If we ban together our numbers will become much larger, increasing our chances of being heard.

Our Goal___________________________

We hope to increase awareness and educate the CVMA on what ethical treatment of animals really means. We need to ensure that the county sees that Docking, Cropping and Dew claw removal is of great importance to the livestock trade and the working dog.

This petition is part or our strategy to prevent the CVMA from furthering the ban in Canada and hopefully aid in lifting bans already in place around the world.

To do this, we need your signature in helping make our case against the CVMA. We do not want to benefit from this financially in any way; we just want to uphold our current standards and be able to have the option of employing a Certified Vet to do these surgeries when called for. Since the ban has been released, we have heard several stories in both supports of and against. Because of the costs associated with advertising our case against the CVMA, many pet owners or breeders in similar situations have remained silent, without the financial means to do anything about it.

We want justice for our rights being taken away as individuals, to stand up for what we believe in. As members of the community that pay for vaccines, health testing and treatment. we need to stand up for what is right against people who abuse their positions of authority and send a message that they cannot remove our rights to seek appropriate care and dominate us into changing our standards to what they think they should be. We know we are the little guy, and that the CVMA has bigger pockets than we do, but with your help, we can tell our story and bring education to the public on why it is necessary to have veterinarians be allowed to continue to offer these surgeries and help save the historical heritage and interests of welfare in each and every breed.

We appreciate your support, and could not do it without you.

Is this not for Ontario

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
On April 01, 2010, the CVMA successfully banned Docking Cropping and Dew Claw removal in New Brunswick, P.E.I. and in Nova Scotia. Despite the evidence that had been brought forth to them that D/C/DW are of benefit, in health and function and are not just cosmetic.
No, for now at least it looks like it's limited to the Maritimes. I guess there's a good possibility it could spread from there though.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think it likely will spread to the rest of the country, but to my knowledge, the ban is only for vets doing it. Breeders will still be allowed to. BUT, eventually it will be that Poodles will not be allowed to be shown if docked, so basically it iwll be a complete ban.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
not just poodles though who IMO don't have as much use for a dock as say a Jack russel (who damages the end of their tail when going to ground hunting game)

Or aussies- who's herding style of being IN up against the cattle leads to a lot of tail injuries if not docked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
our human rights

We want justice for our rights being taken away as individuals, to stand up for what we believe in. As members of the community that pay for vaccines, health testing and treatment. we need to stand up for what is right against people who abuse their positions of authority and send a message that they cannot remove our rights to seek appropriate care and dominate us into changing our standards to what they think they should be. We know we are the little guy, and that the CVMA has bigger pockets than we do, but with your help, we can tell our story and bring education to the public on why it is necessary to have veterinarians be allowed to continue to offer these surgeries and help save the historical heritage and interests of welfare in each and every breed.

We appreciate your support, and could not do it without you.

Just like it is stated on this petition. So how is it that the VMA are able to do this. Its because we breeders are a small group compared to the world. There may be many different breeds that make up the canine world. Its time we all put things aside and work together. To protect our rights, and the future welfare of our breeds concerned.

If you have not signed this petition maybe you could take the time to do so now. If the animal activists can control the vets then it won't belong before they will deem us breeders animal abusers and ban us from breeding altogether. After all this is just what Peta and the BSL would want.
Please sign this petition it may be our last chance as breeders to speak up on our own behalf. \\

I'm not going to be around forever, and I would hate to think i left this world know that our beloved breed was going to be changed forever.
Help them Help us sign this petition!!!!
:help:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/8/stop-the-canadian-veterinary-medical-association-in-furthering-the-dockcropdew-claw-removal-ban

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Tail docking has been banned in europe now for a few years.

We just don't dock our dogs tail, everyone is fine with it. I think poodles look better with long tail if it is correct not gay.
I also like the long docked tails but some breeders go way to short.

Yes we had a few and then I mean very few tail accidents on other breeds but nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tail damage.

Tail docking has been banned in europe now for a few years.

We just don't dock our dogs tail, everyone is fine with it. I think poodles look better with long tail if it is correct not gay.
I also like the long docked tails but some breeders go way to short.

Yes we had a few and then I mean very few tail accidents on other breeds but nothing to complain about.
Tail damage is tail damage. I was wondering what you did for the tail damage. And did it ever lead to amputation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts