Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here obviously and am loving reading up on everything posted--great site. Yesterday i read the entire "red breeders" thread...pretty intense, which is why I hesitate to say....I'm looking for a red standard! Before anyone yells at me (just kidding), I know color is not everything but I am determined to find the right one for me! I am willing to wait and certainly not rushing into anything. I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum and learning a lot!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Why would anyone be upset if you have a color preference? I think that everyone has their own preference and nothing is wrong with that.:) Welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome XSCurls!! Good luck in your search for your perfect poodle! :) My husband and I just welcomed our beautiful red standard poodle princess into our home at the end of October. She's now 11 1/2 weeks old and we are very, very happy with our Lucy! Whether you're looking for a red, or white, black, silver, brown, or GREEN; just do your research and make sure the breeder answers all of your questions to your satisfaction.

When I was in the midst of my search for our princess, I visited dozens of websites and emailed lots of different breeders. To this day, there are some who have never responded to my initial inquiry... I spoke with several breeders by telephone and was immediately turned off by some who just seemed very jaded and who made derogatory comments about other breeders, or spoke to me in a patronizing way which made me think they assumed I wasn't intelligent enough to have one of their babies...

When I found the breeder from whom I received Lucy, we just clicked... You'll know when you find the right one... it will just feel right and it will be 100% excitement and no trepidation or dread...

Hope you find what you're looking for! When it happens, it's like magic! :) Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Welcome, and good luck in your search!! I am a red breeder, and am who Plumcrazy got her little Lucybug from. I would be thrilled if you would visit my web site at www.redstandardpoodles.net. I also have a Facebook business page which is actually better because I cannot post videos on my web site, but have tons of them on Facebook. When there, just type Arreau Red Standard Poodles into your FB search bar and it will lead you there.

I would be very happy to talk to you anytime. We will be having a litter next year in August and will be breeding one of our younger girls next December, so will have two litters looking for new families. You can private message me here or email me at [email protected]

Again, best of luck in your search, and I hope you find the redheaded baby of your dreams without too much trouble.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I just wanted to share some photos of Eleanor, one of the girls from our 2008 litter. She and most of the others from that litter and this appear to have the darkening gene. This girl was the colour of Lucy when she left us, and this is what her colourr has become at fourteen months of age. Just thought you might be interested in seeing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hi .
We breed red standard poodles ..We do gentically test our dogs . Health is very important to us . Take a look at the website if you would like . sherocstandardpoodles. We feel as though it is important for you to be able to view our testing, so It is there on the website. As well as on OFFA.ORG We strive to produce only the best :) I have attached some pics of our last litter . These are pics of Neelix, he is headed to Sweden in the spring .. if I can stand to let him go i am so in love with him :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yes looking for the right breeder can be a challenging thing. To find one that is ethical as well as someone that is good to deal with can be hard to do. I was also extremely concerned about finding a dog with a low coefficient of inbreeding. (Dogs with a low coi on average tend to live on about 4 years longer then those with a coi over 10. So this was a huge issue for me. (Betty Jo and jenny both have coi of 3.53 for 10 generations) I was so fortunate to have found Arreau Standard Poodles. I too spent a lot of time talking to other breeders and looking at their websites before I made my choice and I've got to say I'm so thrilled that I went with Arreau.

I have two lovely girls that I co-own with her. Betty Jo and Jenny are both 14 months old and are wonderful. I also have 3 kids and my dogs are great with them. Kids and dogs are so much fun together and make such a great combination.

Not to mention that Cherie has been absolutely amazing to deal with and indeed has become a close friend. She has been there to laugh with over crazy dog moments and consult with over concerns I can't ask for more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I canoot agree more about the coi But health testing is important as well. My next litters coi is 10-generation COI 2.34%
12-generation COI 3.12% And they have been cleared for NE, vW ,thyroid, Cardiac, OFA good and better. Gentically color tested and they all live right here with us ..
So the prospective home can meet the parents :) We do not like to ship so we do encourage the prospective home to come and meet us and our crew..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thank you all so much for the information and pictures--they are all gorgeous!!! And I do appreciate the warm welcome. I've been researching online for months now just going to website after website and emailing a few people but not many. It's really nice to have a place to seek unbiased advice/info.

So that leads me to my next issue--shipping! I totally agree with you BigRed about shipping but being in north carolina....it's appearing to almost be my only option?!

Also, question about the genetic testing--I had heard there was not a test for Addison's disease in the reds and basically you just had to search the family history for any instances...does that make sense and/or is it true?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We just had a lady fly out here from Vermont pick her puppy up and fly him in the plane with her ! She is a star in my book and she got to meet Mom and Dad, and of course stay with us here at the ranch :)
You are correct about addisons. this is why I feel ike it is important to have all the poo live with us here. Addisons is something that can only be tested for after the dog has it. Checking the lines and asking questions is key. Much the Same as SA the test is only good at the time. And only in an affected area. We are bringing in some european lines that will have to be tested for EVERYTHING !!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
We have shipped our pups from coast to coast in Canada and the US. If you have an airline that does things right, it is not an issue. Air Canada has direct flights to most major cities in Canada and the US. I will not ship with connecting flights or stopovers because there is just too much risk of something terrible happening. You can ask Plumcrazy about having her puppy shipped. Her experience was a bit unorthodox, because they opted to drive eight hours each way to shorten the flight time, but one of our last litter went from Toronto to Los Angeles, direct flight, and everythting went beautifully. It took less than a hour to clear customs, and Mischief was in her new families arms.

You are correct about the Addisons testing. There is only a test to tell you if a breeding dog has it NOW, but nothing to tell you if they are carriers. And this is for all dogs, not just red Poodles.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I checked on the cost of a person flying verses a puppy and most times it's cheaper to fly the person to pick up the puppy than to ship the puppy to you. I'd do it if I wasn't so afraid of flying.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Plumcrazy and her hubby drove the 8.5 hours to ensure a short flight time, and Rory`s parents flew from Oklahoma City to Toronto, we met them, had dinner in their hotel, and saw them interacting with Rory, then in the morning they were on their way, with Rory in a soft crate in the cabin with them. While I applaud this, I do not think it is necessary if you are dealing with the right airline. We will be shipping a puppy to Germany next year, and she will be flying Air Canada in cargo, and I am not remotely concerned. I know that AC assigns staff to care for the puppy and ensure its safetly and well being, and trust them implicitly.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I checked on the cost of a person flying verses a puppy and most times it's cheaper to fly the person to pick up the puppy than to ship the puppy to you. I'd do it if I wasn't so afraid of flying.

For the pup to be shipped too Germany is $875 CDN. For the woman to fly here, return trip is about another $500 Add to this the fact that a puppy cannot be in the cabin if it is over ten pounds, and that a puppy going to a European destination will be about four months of age beccause of rabies restrictions, European bound pups have to fly cargo anyway. Just a sideline thought.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
For the pup to be shipped too Germany is $875 CDN. For the woman to fly here, return trip is about another $500 Add to this the fact that a puppy cannot be in the cabin if it is over ten pounds, and that a puppy going to a European destination will be about four months of age beccause of rabies restrictions, European bound pups have to fly cargo anyway. Just a sideline thought.
Oh I wasn't looking into Canadian flights. That's quite expensive.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Her experience of coming here was second to nothing. We too have flown puppies it is not our preferred that is all. WE like continental pet safe program. But we much prefer to meet our puppy people. We have been know to cook dinner too ha ha. We like to show our newe members to our family of poo how we groom how we train and how we feed and why. Shoot we can even sell you a bag of food..

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
You can ask Plumcrazy about having her puppy shipped. Her experience was a bit unorthodox, because they opted to drive eight hours each way to shorten the flight time
Shortening the flight time was one thing... the other problem was living in the middle of a state with NO direct flights from anywhere except Minneapolis or Denver!! :( No matter how you sliced it, if we wanted to pick Lucy up from our local airport, she would have had to change planes no less than twice!! Too risky (agreed upon by Cherie and us!) so we drove to Winnipeg and picked Lucy up there - it was a virtually painless process... we were able to stop in Fargo and eat lunch at our favorite restaurant and spend the time on the way there dreaming about how exciting it would be to have our baby in our arms! The ride back was fun because we had Lucy with us! :) She did AWESOME in the car!! Slept most of the way back and not a speck of car-sickness! I had the plastic bags, paper towels and febreeze all prepared just in case, but it wasn't needed!

Shipping wasn't my first, best choice; but because of where we live (not close to anything!!) it worked well for us... the distance to drive to Cherie's was time-prohibitive because of having to take time off of work (drive time was 23+ hours one way!) I checked into flying into Toronto and flying back with the puppy, but the airlines that serve our city won't allow anything large than a hamster to fly in the cabin (ok, I'm exaggerating a little - but an 8 week old standard poodle was too big to ride inside!) and I didn't want to be sitting in my comfy (?) airline seat while Lucy had to ride in the cargo hold... I know that's where she was when she flew from Toronto to Winnipeg, but I didn't have to be sitting in the same plane not being able to keep an eye on her (that would've driven me NUTS!) and we didn't have to worry about plane changes, which would have been necessary at least twice; had we gone that route.

The people at Air Canada were THE BEST! We even have pictures of one of the fellows at the front desk who expedited getting Lucy through to us. She was in our arms within 20 minutes of the plane landing! She was happy to see us and after we spent a little while letting her stretch her legs we made the trip home... I'd do it again in a heartbeat (if my husband would let me!) :)

We love our Lucybug!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts