Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to put one of my cats to sleep in July, I decided to get a puppy instead of another kitten. I had a little apricot poodle 20 years ago, so after researching a couple of other breeds, I realized that the poodle is really the only dog for me (we even have the same kind of hair - haha).

I'm now the proud mom of Teddy, who is a darling little apricot born on May 31. He was supposed to be a toy, but just like my first poodle, he is already too tall to be a toy. He is just under 5 months old and is 11" tall (8lb 10oz as of his last vet visit on Saturday). I love the look of a slender poodle with long legs, so his height is just fine with me. I didn't get him to be a show dog or a breeder anyway! I just hope he doesn't get too much heavier, because I like being able to carry him when I go places.

He has absolutely changed my life and I don't like being away from him for any length of time. I'm fortunate that I am able to take him to work almost every day, and that he is very well behaved, even at his young age. He also gets along very well with my surviving cat, who weighs around 20 pounds. They are already buddies.

I guess I've babbled on enough for now. I look forward to reading and sharing with all of you.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Welcome! :) Teddy sounds like he is VERY loved, so he is one lucky boy!

I'm sorry to hear about your cat :( I have a cat that means the world to me and I just like to pretend he will never get old. He was my first fur baby, and will always be in my heart. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What an adorable little fellow. My condolences on the loss of your cat. I have had cats all of my life and it is always devastating when I loose one. However, congratulations on your new friend. It sounds like you are ready to enjoy a long and happy life together.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to you. As a new member and puppy owner myself I can tell you, this forum and the people on it are so great. I am so glad I found them I am sure you will be too!! Enjoy your little guy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Awe the kitty pic is adorable!! I love cats too but can't own any due to my daughter's allergies. :(
Little Teddy is absolutely adorable as well... love his color!!
:welcome: to the forum!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
welcome! I have a Teddy also - a standard - its wonderful that you can take him to work. when I got my Ginger as a puppy I also took her to work and it was great!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Marian. You have a fluffy little cutie-great you get to take him to work! Sorry for the loss of your cat. Good your other one has a friend again.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Welcome :hello:, your Teddy is very cute. I picked a mini too for the same reasons, we love to travel and also spend day trips in the City :) we live in NJ, but we miss the city rush and I want to take him with us :). But I'm still waiting for my puppy, soon :dance:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome. I'm really learning a lot by reading your posts.

Evik - I live in Hackensack and I work in the city. Walking down the street with him is quite the experience. I've seen people who look like they haven't smiled in years suddenly break out in a big grin when they see him. I've had so many older ladies stop and bend over to pet him (and he loves that) and then tell me that we made their day. He stops and wags his tail and says hello to everyone--it really doesn't matter to him if you're homeless or a CEO. It's really kind of magical what he does to people. I call him the smile ambassador.

He has absolutely no fear of anything. I've tried to expose him to all sorts of noises and people and situations, and he seems very comfortable. When we get on the bus to go into the city, I open his carrier and he climbs in and goes to sleep. He never barks on the bus (he rarely barks at the office, even when someone comes in or knocks on the door). As you can tell, I could talk about him for hours. Haha

Spoospirit - Your kitties are beautiful!

Thanks again, everyone! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts