Poodle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Our family just adopted an 8 month old black standard poodle. She came from family with a seven yr old girl and she also lived with her brother (the family had gotten both at eight weeks). The mom in the family got very sick and they couldn’t care for the dogs anymore.
So, Nori has joined our family. We have three boys and two cats. We have had other dogs but she is our first Standard Poodle, so we have a lot to learn!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to you and Nori! You’ve come to the right place. :)
Thank you! I’m a bit nervous about her adjustment to our home and her getting used to being the only dog in the family! We are in the process of crate training her for bedtime which is going fairly well. The first night (Sunday) was the worst. Last night was much better. Hoping it keeps improving. She is potty trained, but we are keeping her on a lead inside and watching her like a hawk. So far the worst she does is grab the kids toys and socks. She is heading to the vet tomorrow for her microchip and exam!

· Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Welcome to you and your family, which now includes Nori :)

It's a very sad situation for her previous family and for Nori and her brother as well. I hope the best for them and I'm sure you'll help Nori adjust. I hope her brother has an equally soft landing.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Welcome! The crate is an essential tool and you'll be glad you have it for the next while. There are lots of crate games you can play (during the day) to create positive associations with the crate to help counteract any negative feelings Nori might have about being crated at night. My dog is 2.5 and we only just put her crate away - if we had a more space we'd probably have kept it out indefinitely.

My poodle still steals socks and she is especially keen on mittens/gloves if you drop one or she can snatch it while you are getting a treat or poop bag (sigh). It's can become a tricky behavior because these goofball poodles are so reinforced by the ways we might reflexively respond to such naughtiness - by being chased, by squeaky noises, by laughter (omg, they love it so much), and even by yelling at them. Try to stay as undramatic as possible and offer a treat for a trade. @PeggyTheParti has made great progress getting Peggy to offer her objects for trade. They have a whole sock and cardboard barter system going 🤣

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,421 Posts
Welcome to you and your family and Nori! Be certain to train your boys how to train Nori as well. Left to their own, young kids will likely encourage unwanted behaviors. Also, potty training doesn't necessarily transfer from one home to the other, so I'd suggest you potty train/reward as if she hasn't quite got the hang of it yet.

· Premium Member
6,024 Posts
Welcome to Nori & your family. The forum is a great place for all things poodle. Noodle around the subforums and always feel free to ask questions. Please post Nori pictures when you can. We love pics

· Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Hi Marly and Welcome to PF to you and Soon To Be TPoo!

For your next post, if you don't mind starting your own thread so we can keep everyone's adventures straight, that would be much appreciated. Your excitement is well understood here :).

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome! The crate is an essential tool and you'll be glad you have it for the next while. There are lots of crate games you can play (during the day) to create positive associations with the crate to help counteract any negative feelings Nori might have about being crated at night. My dog is 2.5 and we only just put her crate away - if we had a more space we'd probably have kept it out indefinitely.

My poodle still steals socks and she is especially keen on mittens/gloves if you drop one or she can snatch it while you are getting a treat or poop bag (sigh). It's can become a tricky behavior because these goofball poodles are so reinforced by the ways we might reflexively respond to such naughtiness - by being chased, by squeaky noises, by laughter (omg, they love it so much), and even by yelling at them. Try to stay as undramatic as possible and offer a treat for a trade. @PeggyTheParti has made great progress getting Peggy to offer her objects for trade. They have a whole sock and cardboard barter system going 🤣
Thank you so much for the tips. I can already tell she is so smart and could rule this house if she wanted!! We are enrolled in basic obedience from the trainer I used for my previous pooch years ago, so I am looking forward to that starting in the next few weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts