Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are expecting to receive our first poodle in August—a female standard poodle. We have five indoor cats and a mastiff mix who is nearing the end of his life. We are interested in learning as much as we can about her, the breed, and giving her the most fulfilling life we can.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your puppy -the waiting is hard but use your time to noodle around the forum. Use the search community bar at the top of the page to look for specific information. Use the bars icon in the upper right to get a list of sub forums, if interested in one, click. Other members will chime. The Ian Dunbar books are great and someone will post a link (I don't have that info at hand) Also a great time for shopping for all you will need for your new girl.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
Hi and welcome to all of you!

Good info above! I'm adding a link to a resource that one of our members, Liz, compiled for those new to puppies and/or poodles. Some of the information above will be found there also.

You'll find poodles are likely to be very different than other breeds you've known. They are smart, very smart, but don't mistake that as necessarily being the same as "easy to train". Smart for poodles means they THINK.

Poodles are smart, savvy, sensitive, and selfish. They observe, reason, consider and conclude, with more than a bit of "What's in it for me?". They aren't a separate part of your life, they're smack in the middle of it and thrive with that. It's hard to make clear just how "not alone" you'll be with a poodle in your life, not in an unhealthy way for either of you, but because that's what you both sign up for.

I post these quotes occasionally, to give someone new to poodles a point of view they may not have considered.

"Poodles are Labs with a college education. My Poodle will do anything your Labrador will do. After a day of retrieving in the field, your Lab wants to curl up and snore in front of the fire. My Poodle wants to be a fourth at bridge and tell naughty stories."
Anne Rogers Clark, the famous handler, all breed judge and Poodle breeder.

Furness 1891
The American Book of the Dog (1891)

"....He is also, in my opinion, more susceptible of education than any other member of his race, seeming to have an innate love for tricks, and needing only to understand what you wish to do it immediately, and then enjoy the fun of it as much as you do.

"Yet, notwithstanding his wonderful intelligence, the greatest patience is required in teaching each new trick. Remember that he is even more anxious to understand you than you are to make him comprehend what you wish, and that a word of encouragement or a friendly pat on the head goes ten times as far as a scolding or a blow. At the same time, bear in mind that the greatest firmness is required, for if a dog for a moment suspects that your whole heart and soul are not in the matter, he at once thinks it must be of small consequence and loses all interest in it forthwith.

"Make him think you are both doing something for mutual amusement, and he will respond and do everything in his power to follow out your wishes, provided he is already firmly attached to you; and in this lies the secret of success or failure in all training; for as he cannot understand your language, he must know by heart all your gestures and intonations...."

Poodles believe in equal rights :)

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
We have five indoor cats and a mastiff mix who is nearing the end of his life.
I highly recommend you tether your new puppy to you for several months when puppy is not in her crate/expen area. Tether with a 6-10’ leash. This will help you train your puppy not to chase cats or bother your elderly mastiff. Puppy can visit the cats and mastiff when calm and both animals agree to meet while tethered, but if puppy is too rambunctious or annoying you can pull her away, or hold her back while the other pet escapes.

Tethering also helps you avoid other problems such as chewing electrical cords, shredding paper, chewing shoes, getting into garbage etc. if you can stop your puppy from naught behavior when very young and only allow access to appropriate toys, as your puppy gets older they will only play with toys.

I tethered my puppy for 6 months, then he earned time off the tether but if he was naughty the tether came back. I stopped needing to tether about 8 month.

When pup is not tethered, they go in their crate/expen to sleep, feed, play independently and for you to have some away time from puppy to do chores etc.

Plan several escape routes for your cats to get away from the puppy-places cats can jump up on or small openings they can get through but puppy can’t. It will be more difficult to plan escape routes for your mastiff which is why tethering is so useful.

It’s also important to take puppy out to potty on a leash. You avoid several potential problems using a leash. If your puppy is on a leash to potty, you will see if they have gone. You can also train them to potty in the same area if you take them to the same spot each time. Also easy to train potty commands because you are right there to reward. You can intervene if puppy picks up sticks, stones, poop or anything inappropriate in her mouth so she learns not to chew or eat inappropriate things naturally found outside. Once puppy is solid on house training with no accidents and solid outside not chewing or eating anything from the ground, you can transition to letting them out in the yard to potty themselves if you want.

Have lots of toys and safe chews to stick in your puppy’s mouth to avoid getting chewed during the puppy shark phase which is horrible to deal with while puppy is teething.

Can’t wait to see photos of your new puppy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s also important to take puppy out to potty on a leash. You avoid several potential problems using a leash. If your puppy is on a leash to potty, you will see if they have gone. You can also train them to potty in the same area if you take them to the same spot each time.
The dog before this boy always pooped in the same little area in the back yard. This guy couldn’t be a less organized pooper. He goes everywhere outside. It’s great when I’m out mowing. The tethering plan seems really helpful with this. Oh, and the cats have a couple of rooms that are only accessible to them, as well as lots of towers and other perches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts